Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS350 calipers on your SC

Old 03-17-09, 04:58 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS350 calipers on your SC

as some of you remember from my other post i made my own brackets and here is the official write up on how i did it ...

well to begin I only need a small bracket because the top bolt lines up perfectly

I bought a t-nut from the hardware store ... as far as size goes i don't remember ... but it was big enough to go into the M12 hole on the spindle ...

i had to grind it down into a crescent shape to make it work ...

since the caliper and spindle overlap each other ... this is going to be how the t-nut is going to look on the spindle ...

and a shaft collar ... it was big enough for a M12 bolt to go through it ... i removed the small allen head bolt that comes with it ... and grinded it to a crescent shape as well ...

and this is what it is going to look like on the caliper ...

and then i had a machine shop make a flat bracket out 1/4" steel with two holes on it ... one hole was a M11 and the other was a M12 ...
Old 03-17-09, 04:58 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

now with the everything in place i just tightened it all ...

and here is the outcome

i have to finish polishing the left caliper and since i'm doing a bunch of other crap to my car, i will be slapping these puppies on my brother's SC and he is going to be rolling them till my car is ready ...

i will post pics of him sporting them by the weekend

and now to answer all your questions ... or at least the obvious ones ...

no you don't need a spacer on the stock SC bolts like you would on the LS swap

no you don't need to put a spacer between the spindle and the rotor

with my wheels i am going to need a 10mm spacer so they won't rub the
calipers

Last edited by drft_n_sc; 03-17-09 at 05:00 PM. Reason: removed pic
Old 03-17-09, 05:01 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

please remove it before you kill yourself. that "custom" shop bracket is ghetto as all hell. go on some other forums, ie zilvia and honda stuff, and search on how bracket should be made.

good luck to you and i hope you dont kill yourself in the process.

are you serious about a "machine shop" making that bracket for you? that looks like something you make in your garage with a drill and a grinder. an hour of work tops to make both. i hope you didnt pay to have those made...

Last edited by 5sp_jzz30; 03-17-09 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 05:10 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

i appreciate your concern and also your advise ... however i am not going to go to zilvia or honda forums ... or any other forum ...

considering that most of the tensional stress that a braking system endures is handled by the top bolt ... i am confident that all will be more than just fine ... yes it is ugly ... or "ghetto as all hell" ... but i never said anything about it looking pretty.

and besides, its what i did to my car, i'm not selling these ... i'm just showing everyone here what i did, there's no need to bash anyone ... however i do realize that this is CL and it seems thats what everyone here does a little too well ...

Last edited by drft_n_sc; 03-17-09 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 05:51 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

bash? im dont want you to kill yourself.

do whatever you want to your own car. i think you should do this modification, test it...hard, and then make a thread of how to do it. 1/4" steel bracket will not suffice.
Old 03-17-09, 06:44 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got to be kidding me. I totally agree with jzz30. Take it off before you kill someone else.
Old 03-17-09, 08:39 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

so i guess seeing how i have two mechanical engineers telling me that the stress will shatter the brackets and i am going to be going on a suicidal killing spree ... this has now become the official "how many people will I kill" thread ...

so please feel free to post your guesses ...

this is really funny ... considering that the spindle is made of cast iron, the chances of my spindle breaking are greater than the steel breaking ... but who am i to know right? i mean i only have 150 posts so in theory i don't know crap about anything ...
Old 03-17-09, 08:49 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drft_n_sc
so i guess seeing how i have two mechanical engineers telling me that the stress will shatter the brackets and i am going to be going on a suicidal killing spree ... this has now become the official "how many people will I kill" thread ...

so please feel free to post your guesses ...

this is really funny ... considering that the spindle is made of cast iron, the chances of my spindle breaking are greater than the steel breaking ... but who am i to know right? i mean i only have 150 posts so in theory i don't know crap about anything ...
It looks really good but i think what the "two mechanical engineers" are saying is some what true, I think you should test it and test it good then post up your results to back up ur mod i mean i am interested to see if it performs. Were all here to be creative and safe so keep us posted

Last edited by YeA 2jZ; 03-17-09 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 10:39 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

well im not a mechanical engineer yet but ill have my degree this may though. FE exam passed and just waiting to get out

after working at a racing shop for 6 years, being around FSAE, and using stress analysis and FEA software....as well as doing a lot of research on this topic since i want to do a very aggressive setup on my car for some actual track days, i think i can safely say that i would not do this on my car.

i dont know if Chrono1J is an ME or not so i cant comment on that.

you have any up close pics of how you mounted the caliper. is the pad making full contact with the rotor or is the pack of the pad hanging off a bit?

the problem is not the spindle. i would look into a thicker bracket and some different bolts. what grade bolts are you using? are they fine pitch or coarse pitch bolts.

btw post count has nothing to do with this. if i had 5 posts i would still tell you the same thing. just because i post a lot doesnt mean im full of myself and i think i know everything about everything
Old 03-18-09, 10:18 AM
ICONYQ
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 5sp_jzz30
just because i post a lot doesnt mean im full of myself and i think i know everything about everything
wait I thought you were LOL!!!

Just to clear it up guys I think elaborating on what is the concern might help drift a little. From what I have seen it seems that the thickness of the metal is a concern and possibly the geometry of how the caliper is sitting now. A pic of the mounting and pad/rotor position would be really good IMO.

just my .02 so we do not put someone on the defensive.

Good job taking the initiative and stepping out of the box. I think it just needs to be tuned a little.
Old 03-18-09, 11:58 AM
edwinbong
Lead Lap

just be careful while testing out these brackets and let us know the outcome
Old 03-18-09, 12:06 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

I thought his design is great, but I'm not tech/engineer so don't mind my post Good job nonetheless, hopefully it holds up and you will test this out on a closed course of some sort
Old 03-18-09, 03:48 PM
drft_n_sc
Pole Position

haha after reading everyone elses post and rereading my own, i realized i sound like a dickwad ... so just to clarify things ... i'm not!

look i appreciate constructive criticism and helpful advice

considering that this is a first and the possibilities that can come from such a bracket, i mean imagine running a set of these on your SC

i thought maybe that a few more positive comments or even ideas to improve my design would be offered ... but unfortunately i get the opposite.

i will post close up pics of the rotor and caliper so you all can see how i have mounted it.
Old 03-18-09, 08:02 PM
LEXpert
Pole Position

I'm no engineer, but I think a better way to do it would be to make an L shaped bracket that ties into both SC caliper mounting holes, with a 3rd hole for the IS caliper. Top of L would be at the stock top hole, using a longer bolt, to go through the bracket, spindle, and caliper. Corner of L would be at the stock lower bolt hole, and also be bolted to the spindle. Maybe the spindle could be tapped so you could thread the bolt right into the hole, avoiding clearance issues with the IS caliper. 3rd hole would be for the IS caliper, with appropriate spacer. Use thicker material too.

Again, I'm no engineer, and I don't condone the use of my idea. If you do use my idea, you do so at your own risk and waive me of any liability should my idea cause any injury, damage, death, or any other negative situation.
The following users liked this post:
DrDDay (12-03-20)
Old 03-18-09, 08:08 PM
IAMJAVEDG
Lexus Champion

very creative. +1 for creating that bracket. although I am not trying to bash you, but personally.. I would make an L bracket or something of some sort so that the whole caliper sits on a bracket evenly and mounts up to the bolts! just my 2 cents.. not saying your idea is bad, I would just try something safer...

my OEM is250 caliper bolt was tight after I removed my Rotora 6 piston bbk and 5 months later that bolt managed to un tighten itself and fall off while I was doing 80 on the freeway.

luckily I didnt loose control, I just heard a loud knocking noise of the caliper starting to unhook the top bolt and had to tow my car home...

Hopefully you never experience that! good luck!!

BTW any of you SC guys want a IS350 Front set of brakes.. PM me, I have decided not to install mines and would rather sell it and use the $

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS350 calipers on your SC