Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TRD sway order saga....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 04:33 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TRD sway order saga....

Hello, there!

I decided I want to firm up my GS's ride. I went for Eibach/Bilstein/TRD sways upgrade.

It took me two days to get Eibachs from TireRack and about a week to get the Bisteins from RMM.

It's been two months since I ordered my TRD sways and I still don't have them. I get one answer from the rep: "TRD hasn't shipped them yet, they're expected in [put your number here] weeks".

I am starting to get a little frustrated here....
The annoying thing is that these parts seem to be out of stock in other place(s) I tried.

[End of B****ing Section....]

Did anyone have a similar experience? Is that "acceptable" in enthusiast community: am I just spoiled and need to lower my expectations?

Any alternatives to TRDs, beside Intrax?

Any info appreciated....
Regards,

Vlad
2001 GS430
Old 02-25-02, 05:33 PM
garnet92
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Same with me

Vlad – I had a similar experience when I ordered my TRD STB. After I placed the order, my source (Davenport Motors here in Dallas) called back a few minutes later to tell me that they were not in stock … anywhere. I then called Steve at Carson Toyota and he agreed that they were also out of stock and the STBs were “on the way”. Long story short – I finally got the STB about three weeks later. If I’d been in a hurry for it, I’d have been pissed and would have looked at alternatives.

I guess it’s the old supply/demand. When I was in the inventory software business, turning away business because you’re out of stock is considered a “lost sale”. A sale that’ll probably go to their competition. Somebody, somewhere (at Toyota/Lexus/TRD - whoever is responsible) isn’t on top of the business.

Last edited by garnet92; 02-25-02 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-25-02, 08:11 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Vlad-

I've got the same setup you're going for and love it.

I waited for <insert period of 3 months here> for TRD sways to come over as well. I think its par for the course with some of their parts, little supply seems to come over here.

<insert Dave's opinion>

Demand is probably great on this board for the sways, but the general GS-driving public is mostly unaware they even exist and (IMO) even if they were, they are likely not to want them for fear of disturbing the luxury-quality of their ride.

<end-insertion>

Not sure of other options, maybe Ugo? I know they do a Strut tower brace.
Old 02-25-02, 10:12 PM
strshooter
Rookie

vald

About a week ago, I too was told by TRD that their sway bars were out of stock and not expected to be in until late March. I figured if I was going to wait that long I'll just place my oder with Steve @ Carson Toyota.

I e-mailed him with my order and the next day he called informing me that the sway bars were not in stock and not expected to be here until late March. I told him I know that, but still wanted to place my order. About 15 minutes late he called and told me that
I wasn't going to beleive this but UPS justed dropped off 10 sets of TRD sway bars and that if I wanted one set I could have it.
Needless to said I drove down there and picked it up.

There now installed and work great..you'll enjoy them when and if you get them..Hope your luck is as good as mine that day.
Old 02-26-02, 01:07 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Default TRD sways

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
I am going to wait it out until the end of March or until one of the reps gives me a call (whichever comes first).

If not, I'll go with the Intrax: no matter how good the TRDs are, they're not better than Intrax if they are not here....

Btw, Dave,
how's your SRT Torque Converter working out for you?
I know, it is supposed to make the car quicker and more responsive, but does it have any bad side effects (driveability problems due to higher stall, bad fuel economy, anything like that)?
Old 02-26-02, 03:29 PM
SUPRATRD
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, we only received 2 sets, the others were for the IS300........we spoke to soon. I have been bringing the TRD sways in from Japan for 2 years, this is the worst I've seen it on availability.

I have 20 sets on order, so you never know when they show up, it is frustrating for me as well, I also want to sell them!!
Old 02-26-02, 05:27 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Re: TRD sways

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein

Btw, Dave,
how's your SRT Torque Converter working out for you?
I know, it is supposed to make the car quicker and more responsive, but does it have any bad side effects (driveability problems due to higher stall, bad fuel economy, anything like that)?
No problems at all. Fuel economy dipped a tiny bit (moreso because the way I drive). Driveability is no issue, under full accelleration, I actually think shifts feel a bit smoother.

One caveat posted by another CL member (Mean Gene?) said that the TC, or some component related to the TC install may have caused his check engine light to come on.

I'd recommend the TC as the best bang-for-buck performance mod you can do. Less chance of your local Lexus dealer seeing it and hassling you for it as well (depending on your local dealer, of course).
Old 02-27-02, 10:32 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

No problems at all. Fuel economy dipped a tiny bit (moreso because the way I drive). Driveability is no issue, under full accelleration, I actually think shifts feel a bit smoother.

Thanks for the info, Dave!

I was afraid that around town, the car would not be as driveable (would take more revs to get it going, because the TC lets the engine spin higher, before building up the pressure to spin the tranny).

This will probably be on my list, after the strut tower bars, and may be, LSD.