Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

K-sport coilovers Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 09:34 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

What? You mean you can't handle with -4 degree camber and buttload of bumpsteer?
Old 02-22-09, 02:31 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1moGS4
I saw that ksport kontrol pro and hks hypermax rs both have camber adjustment on the mount plates.
Whatever you saw for camber adjustment on the coilovers mentioned are not applicable on the GS. You can only adjust camber on the mounting plates of cars with McPherson Strut suspensions. If camber adjustment were that easy to fix on the GS, you wouldn't have so many people asking about this problem over the past 10 years.

Excessive Camber is an issue, but if you ALSO have toe "out", you will chew up your tires waaaay faster.

IF you are having severe inner tire wear AND have excessive camber, then ask your alignment guy to set the toe "in" to the maximum allowable factory spec. Just being within spec is not good enough. If the alignment guy tells you anywhere within spec is OK, then RUN don't walk and find yourself a REAL alignment guy who understands suspension geometry, versus just doing whatever the alignment machine tells him is "OK".

This will minimize your inner tire wear, but not eliminate it.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-22-09 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-22-09, 02:43 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by 1moGS4
I was pretty much set on tein cs w/edfc, but a friend of mine has cs's, he has to flip/replace his tires pretty often.
This problem is NOT specifically due to the TEIN CS. If you lower the car excessively on coilovers or even springs, you will get inner tire wear.

On another note, the CS drop is VERY conservative compared to almost all coilovers on the market. There are plenty of people with CS and moderate drop that do not have inner tire wear. I suggest your friend get an alignment and check for toe out as I mentioned in the previous post. (I say this assuming your friend has a GS?? Apples to Apples ? )

Last edited by RMMGS4; 02-22-09 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-22-09, 02:52 AM
AlphaJZS
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
This problem is NOT due to the TEIN CS. If you lower the car excessively on coilovers or even springs, you will get inner tire wear.

On another note, the CS drop is VERY conservative compared to almost all coilovers on the market. There are plenty of people with CS and moderate drop that do not have inner tire wear. I suggest your friend get an alignment and check for toe out as I mentioned in the previous post. (I say this assuming your friend has a GS?? Apples to Apples ? )
+1 what Glen said, but i think everyone is missing the point of his tires also. If you are looking for a conservative drop TEIN CS is fine, get a good alignment and harder compound on your tires, I have a cheap pair of 20s I use for daily driving with H rated tires, sure they suck for traction, but man do the tires last forever....
Old 02-22-09, 03:01 AM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by PandaGS430
+1 what Glen said, but i think everyone is missing the point of his tires also. If you are looking for a conservative drop TEIN CS is fine, get a good alignment and harder compound on your tires, I have a cheap pair of 20s I use for daily driving with H rated tires, sure they suck for traction, but man do the tires last forever....
+1 ON you ANDY !

Also the lower the tire profile and the higher the tire pressure the more susceptible you will be to inner tire wear. Someone on stock tires may experience little tire wear when slammed.
Old 02-22-09, 06:51 PM
Maxima3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
I've been seeing alot of these kinds of thread lately about people wanting to slam their cars to the ground and expect it to handle decently. That's not possible at all people!!! when you lower a vehicle too much, it will screw suspension geometry way off. Your only way is to modify your existing suspension by shortening the lower control arms amount other things. I myself have no experience on K-sport suspension products, but have plenty of experience with D2 racing sports suspension and BBK. I just simply design my own suspension setting and let D2 build it to however I feel is a good balance btw. ride height and handling. All of my setups are not what D2 sells to the general public.
+10 ppl always say they want to dump a car on coils but have stock ride quality... those are the ppl that never end up satisfied cause they never knew what the purpose of coilovers were