Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RCAs with springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-08, 06:07 PM
Ddot808
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCAs with springs

I been reading up on RCAs and how they help coilover guys get back into factory spec alignment. I understand how the rears work. I also understand that the front RCA will lower the car another 1in and the coilover guys can just raise their ride height to get closer to factory spec.

I want to know if i can use dropped springs and RCAs to drop my car and stay within factory spec. I want to drop as low as possable while still staying within factory spec alignment.
I know with a 1 in drop (NF 210) I will be able to get within spec without the RCAs. A 2 in drop (DF 210) will get close but not perfect.
Will installing RCAs with the NF 210s give me a 2 in drop that can be aligned back to factory spec? Will RCAs and DF 210s give me a 3 in drop that can be aligned to factory spec?

i tried doing a search but couldnt find the exact answer.
thanks for the help guys
Old 08-01-08, 08:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Raising the car back up on coilovers will aid in more positive camber. With springs, you cannot adjust so essentially, you're just lowering the car by however thick the RCA is. Your toe and camber adjustment is essentially the same as if you never had RCA. I'm using RCA with L-tuned springs to give me a total of ~1.5" drop in the front.
Old 08-02-08, 11:12 PM
Ddot808
Pole Position

so DF210s will still not be able to get into factory spec with RCAs, correct? thanks for the help GSteg
Old 08-03-08, 07:46 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With DF210's your camber will be about -1.5 instead of -1
Old 08-03-08, 09:52 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ddot808
so DF210s will still not be able to get into factory spec with RCAs, correct? thanks for the help GSteg
RCAs or not, you have no adjustment with springs. You need to understand how suspension geometry works in order to realize what you can do with or without coilovers. As I said, those guys with coilovers can correct some camber due to the fact that they're raising their coilover height. It's the same as if someone is going from a 3" drop to a 2.5" drop. You lessen the camber due to the way the suspension sits at 2.5" vs 3". It just happens that the RCA will account for some more drop, therefore you'll be sitting at 3" even though the coilovers are adjusted for 2.5". It's hard to explain without visuals. With that being said, it doesn't matter if you have RCAs or not. If you cannot align your df210 within spec in the first place, no RCAs will get your camber back unless you go with some insanely thick ones. At that point, your car will not be drivable.
Old 08-03-08, 11:46 AM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Camber won't eat tires up that much especially -1.5 degrees
its the toe that will
Old 08-04-08, 12:14 AM
Ddot808
Pole Position

i think i get it now. sounds like im gona do some NF210s and RCAs for a 2 in drop and factory spec alignment
thanks for the help guys
Old 01-28-09, 11:53 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Raising the car back up on coilovers will aid in more positive camber. With springs, you cannot adjust so essentially, you're just lowering the car by however thick the RCA is. Your toe and camber adjustment is essentially the same as if you never had RCA. I'm using RCA with L-tuned springs to give me a total of ~1.5" drop in the front.
Any negative side effects to running the RCA's with springs? I was told that someone doing this was bottoming out and I was advised not to do it. I am on Espelirs and would like to get the front down another .5 to 1 inch. Do you think this will be an issue?
Old 01-29-09, 12:19 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

1" drop+ RCA =
also do the lower ball joint and tie rod. Very simple to do. Get it from sewel with coupon code (find the special price for both sets by searching). Quick way to do it is to remove the ball joints[two bolts] then twist off the tie rod. You won't need to unbolt the tie rod from the ball joint assembly.

Then go with LS400 brakes...they are great and cheap! You just need to bend the brake dust cover a little to make it fit. (I secretly want the ls430 brake looks way better )

I got hooked up with the LS400 calipers remanufactured in Japan for 120 bux. It's awesome!
Old 01-29-09, 06:59 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Debonair
Any negative side effects to running the RCA's with springs? I was told that someone doing this was bottoming out and I was advised not to do it. I am on Espelirs and would like to get the front down another .5 to 1 inch. Do you think this will be an issue?
It really depends on how soft your springs are. My L-tuneds are already SOFT so adding in another 0.5" to my car, I have to be careful entering speed-bumps and dips. Suspension travel essentially stays the same so you shouldn't really be hitting your bumpstops. The only bottoming out I see is if you drive too fast and hit a dip...but then again you're not suppose to do that in the first place

I have no regrets at all. I did it for the LS400 brakes, and to improve my stances because I had more wheel gaps in the front than the rear.
Old 01-29-09, 11:17 AM
Debonair
iModerate

It really depends on how soft your springs are. My L-tuneds are already SOFT so adding in another 0.5" to my car, I have to be careful entering speed-bumps and dips. Suspension travel essentially stays the same so you shouldn't really be hitting your bumpstops. The only bottoming out I see is if you drive too fast and hit a dip...but then again you're not suppose to do that in the first place

I have no regrets at all. I did it for the LS400 brakes, and to improve my stances because I had more wheel gaps in the front than the rear.
My Espelirs claim a front drop of 2.2in which I believe is lower then the L-Tuned. I think they may be softer too but I'm not sure. Would my front suspension sit too low to the ground with a 1in RCA? .5in RCA?

Thanks for your input.
Old 01-29-09, 11:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Just imagine your car 0.5" and 1" lower. Your car will lower however thick the RCAs are.

Are there even 0.5" RCAs out there? I know there are 3/4" and 1". The only reason why I have 0.5" is because mine are custom made. If your front sits too low, it's going to look weird with the rear high up in the sky.
Old 01-29-09, 11:56 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Just imagine your car 0.5" and 1" lower. Your car will lower however thick the RCAs are.

Are there even 0.5" RCAs out there? I know there are 3/4" and 1". The only reason why I have 0.5" is because mine are custom made. If your front sits too low, it's going to look weird with the rear high up in the sky.
The rear tires have no gap. The fronts do so i am trying to even that out a little more.

I have only seen 1" available but I can easily have those machined down to where I need them. If I could find a decent pattern or a used ball joint I could have one made up for me. I have several options since I have a close relative managing a machine shop and I live close enough to Exact to pick some up if needed.
Old 01-29-09, 01:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I could send you my used ball joints and all the crap with it. LOL. Just pay for shipping...I'm in cali so shipping is probably 5 bux or less...currently have 3/4" block but may want to go 1" if the price is right. Also you will need to find 12.9 bolts.

my ball joints were in execellent condition...should have never changed them- but I destroyed it to take it off. Oh well.

Last edited by sam430; 01-29-09 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-29-09, 02:32 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Todd, just get some coilovers...LOL!!!