Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra tt rotors and pad choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 10:41 AM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely Project MU.
Old 10-22-08, 11:01 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

people seriously want hard biting pads with little to no wear and dust? ....okay keep dreaming. lol. if you mostly daily drive the car keep the OEM pads. they wear the best and are not that dusty.

its not that hard to come home and wash the car after the track day. most people that seriously track their cars have at least two sets of pads. one for the street and one for the track.

i would say do a set of hps for the street even though they still suck. for the track go with a set of Ferodo or Carbotech. they are loud but they bite.

oh btw i just came from drift day this weekend and my car was covered in breke dust and im on stock ls400 pads. solution: wash it off
Old 10-23-08, 06:08 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have OEM pads and R1 rotors... I will update when I get more miles on them.
Old 10-23-08, 06:24 AM
Phoenix400
GRIFFIN400 use you other account.

I also have OEM pads and run OEM rotors. Hardly any dust and so far performs well for daily driving.
Old 11-01-08, 12:44 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going Powerslot Slotted Cryo rotors, with OE pads.
Old 11-01-08, 12:57 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

brembo rotors and OEM pads...you will find that with more aggressive set up, you will use it up more....and they are not cheap

right now I have some unknown pads and slotted and dimpled powerslots, but I will be switching soon. juts found a mild crack on my rotors
Old 11-03-08, 12:08 PM
WICKED SC4
Driver

Originally Posted by Kaydee
brembo rotors and OEM pads...you will find that with more aggressive set up, you will use it up more....and they are not cheap

right now I have some unknown pads and slotted and dimpled powerslots, but I will be switching soon. juts found a mild crack on my rotors

I would never personally ever reccomend Brembo anything...

I have had some nightmarish issues with Brembo equipment. My friend Nils L. had a Singled Supra pushing 670RWHP and he went though 4 sets of brembo rotors in a track day. They s@# *****. Brembo brakes are the most overrated overpriced crap on the market IMO. He had Brembo Calipers too, they faded just like any other brake, My other friend has a Supra that pushes over 1000RWHP and he braked ONCE and cracked and glazed the rotors!!! Yes- ONE TIME- ONE STOP. Don't buy Brembo- If you have brembo and you didn't crack them- that just means you don't brake hard enough to heat them.

Seriously, though that's not bad enough, Hikari Works Racing Supra was in the Speedvision Cup GT racing league and they went from the Stock to a Big Brembo brake kit and they said it was worse than stock. It faded big time, there were certain corners after the big straights where they had no brakes going into the follwing corner after the straights. They pulled them off the car after a few races.

Perfomance Friction are the best MKIV pads, but they stopped making the MKIV application last I heard.

FYI for those of you who "claim" to be an improvement over stock- just know that the stock Supra Turbo brake system produces 2,675 BHP (brake horsepower) in stopping power on a brake dyno front and rear. Which is more than a Brembo racing 6 pot with 320mm discs. Same as an Mclauren F1. More than just about any production car- WITH STOCK PADS.

here is some proof for you doubters:
http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesI...akeUpgrade.htm

Last edited by WICKED SC4; 11-03-08 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-03-08, 12:19 PM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

thats what i have been saying for the longest time. people upgrade to grady brake setups on street cars and some track cars. the stock supra tt brakes are more then enough on a car with proper pads, rotors, and cooling ducts.

brakes usually fade due to poor heat dissipation. all brake to any setup and with much more aggressive pads it will be a huge difference.

to certain people on here that go with rotora and greddy brake kits...gimme a brake, lol , you will never need all that and with the money wasted you could do other modifications to existing brakes.
Old 11-03-08, 10:48 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WICKED SC4
...just know that the stock Supra Turbo brake system produces 2,675 BHP (brake horsepower) in stopping power on a brake dyno front and rear. Which is more than a Brembo racing 6 pot with 320mm discs. Same as an Mclauren F1. More than just about any production car- WITH STOCK PADS.

here is some proof for you doubters:
http://planetsoarer.com/suprabrakesI...akeUpgrade.htm
Simply brilliant, thank you.
Old 11-04-08, 10:15 AM
CDY
Pole Position

I'm not rocking TT brakes, but I am running Akebono ProACT ceramics and they own the SC OEM pads. Way more initial bite and less fade. Very little dust, and pad life seems fine so far - been on a year and looking good as new (and I'm pretty hard on my brakes). There are definitely better pads out there, but for the price the ProACT are pretty spectacular.

As for Brembo quality, I've never used their BBK, but I used their OEM repl. slotted rotors on my 240sx and now on my SC and I've never had any problems. And saying I "abused" the brakes on my 240sx would be an understatement. And I don't see how presenting engine hp numbers is relevent when discussing brake systems. 100-0 is the same no matter how much power you've got. I'm not saying your stories aren't true, I'm just sharing my experiences.

Last edited by CDY; 11-04-08 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-04-08, 11:31 AM
5sp_jzz30
Lexus Champion

^^^^^

brakes excert torque. torque is a function of the force and the distance at which it is applied. the bigger the rotor the more brake torque you can generate. pad material and other factors are also there but for simplicity we can leave them out.

hp is a measure of how work is performed. ie the amount of work and in which time increment.

stopping a vehicle from a certain speed takes work in the form of pressure on the brakes as well as the energy involved. kinetic energy is one of those factors. the faster you go the more energy and power it will take to stop you from moving.

brakes have hp ratings and thus it is called bhp. brake horse power.

i dont thing most bbk kits are needed for our cars if you use TT brakes. i have used brembo blanks on s-chassis and z32's before. never had an issue. the cars werent exactly daily driven either.
Old 11-06-08, 10:01 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I think CDY wants to say that whether you have 100hp or 300hp, stopping at 100mph will practically be the same for each vehicle. Only difference is the 300hp car will need more braking power per given time of acceleration. Obviously running each car WOT, the 300hp car would be at a higher speed by the end of X time interval. This is very apparent on the track, however for local driving, I doubt it'll make a difference.
Old 11-10-08, 09:32 PM
CDY
Pole Position

^^^

Yeah, I was actually referring to the engine horsepower, not "brake horsepower"...

...which brings me to my next point.

Would everyone please stop misusing that term?

No offense, but "brake horsepower" doesn't refer to the power of the brake system, it refers to using a friction brake to measure engine horsepower. I suppose you could try to change that definition if you want, but that's the officially recognized meaning.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/brake horsepower
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/brake+horsepower
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Friction+brake
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_h...ake_horsepower
Old 12-06-08, 01:45 PM
wanganstyl
Lead Lap

my car with supra brakes just hit infineon a couple weeks ago. on R comps they are GREAT, stop like ****. my 3500 lb car was late braking on miatas and other little turds. hahaha\

running project mu front pads with stock rear. hard to source the rears, if anyone knows where i can find the rear b-force let me know
Old 05-23-09, 06:48 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Got away with them for a few HPDE sessions, but here's what eventually happened with my drilled and slotted on track:

Quick Reply: Supra tt rotors and pad choice