Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Review: F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Bilstein Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-08, 07:19 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great review. great pics. thanks man. peddalr R nice as well
Old 07-24-08, 07:41 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks.

An addendum to my review:

1. The springs settle to about ~1.2" all around, so the pics show the car directly after install which is at 1" all around.

Two Problems with the F-Sports:

1. The infamous clunk noise. I created a separate thread to address this issue. This is a small noise, but it can be annoying. The noise is different in each case and some don't even hear the noise, so it is still quite a mystery.

2. There is a problem with the suspension over dips when driving at highway speeds. In a dip, the car first travels downwards then hits the end of the dip where it travels upwards. When it travels upwards, the car floats for longer than normal. This pushes the passengers upward and can be uncomfortable. This does not happen all the time. I will create a new thread to address this issue soon so we can diagnose the problem. Although this might be inherent in the design and cannot be fixed.
Old 07-24-08, 08:26 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I think this might have to do with the springs being progressive rate springs and not linear. Just a guess though.
Old 07-25-08, 12:03 AM
fdelement
Driver

I had my Fsport springs installed almost a month ago (springs only, no shocks/sways). No clunck noise so far. However the ride quality was definitely sacraficed a bit for the lowered stance. Sometimes driving on the freeway on dips I can feel my suspension buttom out as well.
Old 07-25-08, 01:27 AM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was wondering if you have pictures now after the springs have settled?
Old 09-30-08, 01:45 PM
Mr. IS350
Driver

So what's the deal on the clunk noise Vik? Anyone else get this figured out? I've been thinking on purchasing the F-sport suspension but after reading this thread it's got me thinking twice now.
Old 09-30-08, 03:11 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mr. IS350
So what's the deal on the clunk noise Vik? Anyone else get this figured out? I've been thinking on purchasing the F-sport suspension but after reading this thread it's got me thinking twice now.
See my post in the clunk thread.
Old 11-20-08, 10:10 AM
IS-Pomales
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VikH
See my post in the clunk thread.
Can you give me the link to the clunk thread, I can't found it. I have an IS-350 09 with F-Sport Shocks and Springs with exactlly the same clunk noise in the rear passenger!!!
Old 11-20-08, 10:19 AM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-Pomales
Can you give me the link to the clunk thread, I can't found it. I have an IS-350 09 with F-Sport Shocks and Springs with exactlly the same clunk noise in the rear passenger!!!
See here. BTW, it was only a few threads down from this thread.
Old 11-20-08, 12:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review(s), with realistic observations about ride quality.
Old 11-26-08, 10:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

VikH - Are you still happy with the setup?
Old 12-15-08, 07:14 AM
Duke02
Driver

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but it didn't seem to be after reading this thread and the f-sport accessories thread.

What is the relative performance gain that the f-sport shocks and springs give vs. the sport suspension. Also, what is the ride like vs. the sport suspension if anybody with the sport package has done the mod. I often joke with my wife that the sport suspension rides like a cement mixer.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but wondering if this mod does anything for my biggest complaint with the car - tramlining. My Michelin's seem to have improved it over the stock Dunlop's but just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to take a step backwards, or preferably take a step forward.

Thanks all
Old 12-15-08, 03:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fdelement
I had my Fsport springs installed almost a month ago (springs only, no shocks/sways). No clunck noise so far. However the ride quality was definitely sacraficed a bit for the lowered stance. Sometimes driving on the freeway on dips I can feel my suspension buttom out as well.
Good observations. The short springs with soft stock shocks sounds like a problem. Bottoming out on freeway dips is not good.
Old 12-15-08, 04:57 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS-SV
VikH - Are you still happy with the setup?
I am perfectly happy with the setup. The F-Sport Shocks were probably overkill, but I got it because the deal was cheaper that way.

Originally Posted by Duke02
Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but it didn't seem to be after reading this thread and the f-sport accessories thread.

What is the relative performance gain that the f-sport shocks and springs give vs. the sport suspension. Also, what is the ride like vs. the sport suspension if anybody with the sport package has done the mod. I often joke with my wife that the sport suspension rides like a cement mixer.

Also, this may be a stupid question, but wondering if this mod does anything for my biggest complaint with the car - tramlining. My Michelin's seem to have improved it over the stock Dunlop's but just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to take a step backwards, or preferably take a step forward.

Thanks all
If you want to race your car around the track, then sell it and get a different car. You could spend a load of money on good coils, but it still might not handle properly.

Since you have sport shocks already, then I would just get F-Sport Springs. It might actually be a little more comfortable since they are progressive.

Not sure if it will help with tramlining. I think an alignment would help more than suspension.
Old 12-15-08, 05:31 PM
lexboi250
Lexus Champion

i have the springs only, and except the clunk noise in the rear passenger side, i have no complaints. THe car is not floaty and does not bottom out.

Quick Reply: Review: F-Sport Springs and F-Sport Bilstein Shocks