Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: Do you hear any type of noises with your F-Sport Springs? Who installed them?
Yes, I hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
27.47%
Yes, I hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
35.16%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had the dealer install the springs.
10.99%
No, I don't hear a noise. I had an independent shop install the springs.
26.37%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-08, 07:59 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?

Had my F-Sport Springs and Shocks on for more than a week. I am now noticing a noise from my suspension when I drive over bumps at medium-high speed. The noise sounds like a rock hit the undercarriage, so it is not very noticeable. This happens infrequently and usually I have the music too loud to even notice. I am assuming it is coming from the springs since it wouldn't make sense that the shocks would make this noise. Also, others who only have F-Sport springs confirm hearing the noise. It sounds like it is coming from the rear suspension. Not sure if it's both springs or just one.

I am going to have the dealer check it out next week. However, it seems like at least 5 of us have heard this same noise. Lets get an official thread with everyone who has F-Sport Springs.

Post up guys and vote in the poll! In your post please be as detailed as possible in regards to when you hear the noise (i.e. How fast are you going? From where? How frequent? What does it sound like? Who installed? Have you tried to get it resolved? What did they say?)

Thanks,
Vik

P.S. Please only vote when you have had your springs on for +2 weeks!!! I only noticed the noise after a week of driving. I heard nothing on the drive home from the dealer.

Last edited by VikH; 05-19-08 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-17-08, 09:57 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take me for a ride tomorrow and lets look at it. Will go out in my car also so we can see if the noise comes from my car!

See you tomorrow Vik!
Old 05-19-08, 11:52 AM
blake0387
Driver

Yea I'm hearing it as well. It's mostly when going medium to higher speeds (20-50 mph) going over semi-extreme bumps in the road. I installed the shocks/springs myself so I voted for the independent shop category. Hopefully this thread can shed some light on this problem.
Old 05-19-08, 11:58 AM
AznJason
Lead Lap

I get it coming down after a speed bump. The steeper speed bumps I'll get it even at 5 mph. There's speed bumps all over my parking lot, so I hear it daily. It sounds like... the thunk you get after you launch the ball in pinball.

Oh yeah, I'm completely not a car guy (and highly prone to jumping to conclusions), but I'm curious if it has anything to do w/ progressive springs and coil slap. Anyone familiar with coil slap wanna chime in on how it sounds?

Last edited by AznJason; 05-19-08 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-19-08, 12:18 PM
blake0387
Driver

It could be coil slap but it seems strange that it would only occur on one side of the vehicle.
Old 05-19-08, 12:45 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Thanks for posting guys. I contacted the dealer today and will try to have them diagnose the situation hopefully this week.

Here is some new info:

Yesterday I had a passenger sitting in the front passenger seat and one sitting in the rear passenger side seat. I did NOT hear any noises while going over pretty rough highway. I believe this has to do with the fact that the suspension travel is being limited. I believe the noise occurs only when the suspension travels +50%. This may also explain why some of you only hear the noise on the rear passenger side when your driving (assuming you're driving by yourself). Here are some posts from my review thread of people with the same problem. Please vote guys!!!!

Originally Posted by OutCaster
Hey I hear some noises in the rear also. I had the f-sport spring installed on stock shocks last friday. For me, it's the rear passenger side. It doesn't happen to me on the highway though, only on like speedbump and the occasional rough road. It's difficult to reproduce. I'm going to bring it back to the shop for an alignment but also ask them to check the rear suspension. This will probably be done on Saturday.
Originally Posted by darkdream
I have the same issue.. its only occurs when the rear suspension is worked like over a dip or large bump.... at first I thought it was something in the rear spare tire compartment but doesn't seem so...
Old 05-19-08, 12:58 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I voted.. no problems with any noises at all. Went over lots of different kinds of roads this past weekend and over a bunch of speedbumps. I had an independent shop do mine.
Old 05-19-08, 01:19 PM
blake0387
Driver

Please keep us posted with what the dealer says. Hopefully they will be able to sort it out.
Old 05-20-08, 02:09 PM
carchitect
Lead Lap

I've installed the F-sport springs and shocks on a new vehicle at work. The vehicle has the clunk in the rear when going over bumps. The noise is more than likely from either:-

1: the lower spring perch on the bilstein shocks (they come that way) or
2: the rear progressive rate springs approaching coil bind.

The coil bind could be reduced by installing a coil spring spacer (P/N#48258–50020) but the lower spring perch moving will be a characteristics of these shocks one may need to live with.

-Joe
Old 05-20-08, 03:54 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by carchitect
I've installed the F-sport springs and shocks on a new vehicle at work. The vehicle has the clunk in the rear when going over bumps. The noise is more than likely from either:-

The coil bind could be reduced by installing a coil spring spacer (P/N#48258–50020) but the lower spring perch moving will be a characteristics of these shocks one may need to live with.

-Joe
Thanks for the help Joe. Although, people with only F-Sport Springs have been complaining about the issue as well.
Old 05-20-08, 04:00 PM
Rican219
Rookie

No Noise here and I installed them myself.
Old 05-20-08, 04:15 PM
AznJason
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by carchitect

-Joe
How many of those would you need total for the car? I think on the rear there's 5 coils close together and in the front there's 3 coils.
Old 05-21-08, 10:33 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Arrow

Just a thought...

Any chance the noise can be coming from the rear brake and/or emergency brake cable??

The stiffer setup can be causing these parts to vibrate/chatter/clank when going over bumps via slow speeds... ex: Like the little white lane change bumps..

My brand new IS did this for about 2 months on slow speeds.. till I got a tip on this issue..

For approx 7 days, I buried my emergency brake pedal (when parked) which helped the issue greatly for me.. 99% gone.

My car has the OEM Sport Suspension.. At first I too thought it was spring/shock related..

But being that there are inconstancies here, it just might be that loose brake cable that needs adjusting / tightening..

Those of you with the issue, when you park your car for long periods of time or overnight, fully engage your e-brake pedal..
Then when you take your car for its first drive, see if the noise is still there.

Good Luck
Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 05-21-08 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-21-08, 11:52 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

^Hmm, that's interesting Joe. I've never had any noises of this sort, but I ALWAYS use my e-brake when parked - that could be why!

Javier
Old 05-21-08, 02:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by javyLSU
^Hmm, that's interesting Joe. I've never had any noises of this sort, but I ALWAYS use my e-brake when parked - that could be why!

Javier
Yes I know.

Enjoy the rest of this thread...

IS350 Sport Suspension Rattle...

Joe Z

Quick Reply: F-Sport Springs Clunk Noise. Normal?