Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibration: Anyone find that unbalanced brake discs contribute to a shake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-08, 05:25 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration: Anyone find that unbalanced brake discs contribute to a shake?

Just like a thousand other GS owners, I'm trying to resolve a vibration that occurs between 65 and 85 mph. The dealer says that the springs, shocks, control arms, bushings, tie-rod ends, and ball joints are all good (I'm not so sure...with 128K miles, I've got to have some wear....whatever...). I've tried 4 sets of wheels and tires, each RoadForce balanced and had each balancing reconfirmed, to no avail.

It dawned on me that the discs rotate with the wheel (duh) and could be introducing the vibration that I can't seem to find in any other component. Question: the discs are not attached to the hub with a set screw like on my BMW - they're just held on by the force of the lugnuts pressing the wheel against the disc - is that right? I'm going to have the discs removed and placed on a bubble balancer to see if they may be the source of the vibe.

Anyway, this is a problem that many have faced. I'm just trying to find another angle on a solutions. Thanks for your thoughts guys!

dd
Old 03-18-08, 10:57 AM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This used to happen on my old ES300, I replaced the Rotors and Brakes and it went away. It is starting to occur on my GS400 and I don't want to replace them lol soooo expensive, hope that helps
-Joe
Old 03-18-08, 12:01 PM
handzilla
Pit Crew

Just resurface them and maybe get the calipers cleaned if they're sticking. It happened to me.
Old 03-19-08, 04:14 PM
PR FIEBRU
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have also been having the same Problems with my car. I dont think the vibration is due to the rotors but I do know that I hear rattling when i go over bumps. Now that is due to the rotors. When I press the brakes and go over bumps I dont hear the rattling.
But who knows. I will be replacing the rotors on my car hopefully this weekend. If I get it done Ill post if it made a difference on the vibration issue.
Old 03-19-08, 04:31 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by diamondmit
Question: the discs are not attached to the hub with a set screw like on my BMW - they're just held on by the force of the lugnuts pressing the wheel against the disc - is that right?
It's normal to just have the lugnuts holding the rotor...albeit it is also being somewhat held in place by the caliper's mounting bracket. It sounds like your rotors have DTV issue (disc thickness variation) and thus there are high & low points on your rotors. But basically you've got a judder problem (vibration and crap). Don't resurface the rotors. Just get new ones along with a new set of pads.
Old 03-21-08, 07:41 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Default Thanks guys...the rotors are brand new but I think are the problem...

I have no shake when I brake, just cruising at speed. I'm going to see if they are balanced using a bubble balancer.

To the guy with the creaking noises....those are your ball joints. I'd get them checked ASAP.

dd
Old 03-21-08, 10:10 PM
handoverfi
Pole Position

your rotors are ****ed. get new ones or just get them resurfaced!!
Old 03-23-08, 09:28 PM
kenkaniff
Pole Position

I'm not so sure...if he doesn't vibrate during braking, it most likely is something else. I have the same shake.

THE SHAKE IS SO FRUSTRATING!!! It feels so...unsafe.

I'm gonna get my balljoints, and an inner tie rod done. I'm thinking about buying outer tie rods and getting Diazen bushings and then see if I still have the shake.
Old 03-24-08, 10:29 AM
Saiji
Lexus Champion

Did you try checking your calipers? Sometimes our calipers tend to freeze up due to not putting enough lube on the pins. Try pulling it out, lube it up and putting it back in. That's what I did and it solved my shaking problem.
Old 03-31-08, 06:05 PM
diamondmit
Driver

Default Thanks - I haven't checked the calipers, but I have the car heading to the dealer....

....on Wednesday and I'll ask them to look. The vibe is really tough to pinpoint. It's strong and obvious at 80 mph sometimes, but at other times, smooth as silk. Curious.

dd