Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sway bar effect on front/rear balance

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-02, 08:28 AM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sway bar effect on front/rear balance

Hello, everyone out there!

This is my first post, so please excuse me if I am not doing anything right/by the rules: it is not because of bad intent.

I have a 2001 GS430 with regular wheels.
I was considering the following handling upgrade:
* Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
* Bilstein dampers
* TRD sways.

My question is: does anyone know how the installation of TRD sway bars affect front/end balance? In other words, does the car oversteer / understeer more or is the original handling balance preserved?

I am asking because I am considering to upgrade the tires and possibly rims and want to know whether it would be OK to install wider rubber at the rear WITHOUT having a car that plows through the turns. My intent is to modify the car for the performance more than for looks, so anything that slows the car down or makes it handle worse I would like to avoid.

Anybody has some first-hand experience with that?
Old 01-19-02, 02:27 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Probably the Same

Vlad - I think the TRD sways perserve the factory built-in understeer. I chose the RMM/Intrax bars because the rear bar is adjustable - I like a little oversteer since I learned to drive on gravel/dirt roads & am used to hanging the tail out. Plus the stereo weight in my trunk made me pretty neutral when I had the factory bars & I wanted the option of experimenting.
Old 01-19-02, 03:22 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Vlad,

I've got pretty much the configuration you're asking about including:

* Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
* Bilstein dampers
* TRD sways
plus I've got the TRD front strut brace. I only had the TRD sways put on last weekend and haven't had a huge amount of drive time.

Initial impression is that factory balance is preserved, but the car stays more flat when cornering. Much higher level of confidence and better road feel.
Old 01-19-02, 05:24 PM
QBranchCars
Lead Lap

Default Re: Sway bar effect on front/rear balance

Originally posted by Vlad_Stein
I am asking because I am considering to upgrade the tires and possibly rims and want to know whether it would be OK to install wider rubber at the rear WITHOUT having a car that plows through the turns. My intent is to modify the car for the performance more than for looks, so anything that slows the car down or makes it handle worse I would like to avoid.

I don't know what widths you're considering for your wheel/tire upgrades, but a wider than stock tire in front will provide more understeer. So will a stagger config with wider rubber in the back than front. A lot of CL members, including myself, have 8.5 or 9 width in front with 10 in the back. This definitely results in more understeer than stock. It is nothing to really worry about, because you get used to it, and I even take the car on the track in that config.
Old 01-19-02, 07:43 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Wow...
Thanks for the quick answers.
I can see that you guys are enthusiasts: I like it