Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tanabe Coilovers VS Tein Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-07, 09:53 AM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tanabe Coilovers VS Tein Coilovers

I'm considering buying the Tanabe Pro S-OC Coilvers with rear mounts, which would allow for camber adjustment. I just really like the fact that you can adjust the camber and thereby reduce excessive tire wear. Most folks on here seem to choose to go with Tein. Is there any particular reason you guys choose Tein over Tanabe? Need some opinions, experiences.........

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 09-08-07, 11:09 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think if you find a good alignment shop that does good work you should have minimal tire wear.. For example i go to a place that does the alignment by hand (old school) and with measuring tools.. Haven't had a problem since.. GL..
Old 09-08-07, 11:51 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default how low?

Originally Posted by SloGS400
I'm considering buying the Tanabe Pro S-OC Coilvers with rear mounts, which would allow for camber adjustment. Most folks on here seem to choose to go with Tein. Is there any particular reason you guys choose Tein over Tanabe?
Thanks in advance for your input.
i'm with tmf on this one, find a shop who will take good care of you and minimal worries on the alignment.

but i agree with you, why so many members go with Tein? also, how low can you go with the Tanabe Pros', Tein CS, Flex, and others? Anyone?
Old 09-08-07, 04:24 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For most people that go with Teins, it is purely the name that they are going after. I however have D2 racing coilovers that are custom spec. to my preference and lover them. Also, lowering the car all the way to the ground does not give you the best handling, that's the biggest misconception. They key is to lower it enough to where you can clear driveways for daily driving and the biggest effect that you'll notice is when your car is cornered weighted. With that said, don't trust a brand just because everyone uses them, but go with something that is catered to your setup.
Old 09-08-07, 04:30 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alexus_300
For most people that go with Teins, it is purely the name that they are going after. I however have D2 racing coilovers that are custom spec. to my preference and lover them. Also, lowering the car all the way to the ground does not give you the best handling, that's the biggest misconception. They key is to lower it enough to where you can clear driveways for daily driving and the biggest effect that you'll notice is when your car is cornered weighted. With that said, don't trust a brand just because everyone uses them, but go with something that is catered to your setup.
great 2 cents Alexus!
For me = 90% of the time I drive like a grandma and 10% corner when I need to. For the most part, I'm a old school cruiser.
Old 09-08-07, 05:08 PM
SloGS400
Pole Position

Thanks Alexus for your informative post. I see you are in NC, do you happen to know of any good alignment shops that are used to seeing custom suspension set ups in the Charlotte area?
Old 09-09-07, 11:03 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SloGS400
Thanks Alexus for your informative post. I see you are in NC, do you happen to know of any good alignment shops that are used to seeing custom suspension set ups in the Charlotte area?
I sent you a PM about this already, but if you haven't gotten it, I use a local Firestone shop close to where I live. I know the tech and manager that works there. So when I need a alignment, they let me setup my car to the spec that I want it to be setup.
Old 09-09-07, 03:40 PM
Kuroikaze
Pole Position

I think its purely aesthetics which is why people go with tein flex/ha over the tanabes. The tanabes will not let you go low enough if you are trying to achieve a certain look. Performance wise, there are a lot of other brands which are geared more towards track performance if that is what your seeking. Good luck in your search!
Old 09-10-07, 07:45 AM
tommyGS3
Lexus Test Driver

i had tanabe on my car awhile back. if your runing 20's, then i won't go this route. u won't be happy
Old 09-10-07, 01:37 PM
THINKtank
Driver

I currently have the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC on my GS and I love it. The ride quality and it performace is so much better. I was going to buy Tein because of the price, but when I got the Tanabe, it was worth every penny.
Old 09-10-07, 01:52 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by THINKtank
I currently have the Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC on my GS and I love it. The ride quality and it performace is so much better. I was going to buy Tein because of the price, but when I got the Tanabe, it was worth every penny.
any pics? 10 characters
Old 09-12-07, 08:59 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Interesting post and great topic. Actually, I went with Tein CS's and having to do it all over again, I' not sure I would have chased the name vs. the competition. There seems to be this real love affair with Lexus and Tein, for that matter any J-Tuned vehicle. One of the post mentioned that they drive 90% grandma and 10% to the limits.....I love my grandma and she might get pissed if I compared how soft my driving is on a regular basis to her's.

Ride height, that is SIGNIFICANT ride lowering height, has not so much to do with over all set up and installation. In a perfect world I would do Bilstein PSS with 19's or 20's, 8.5 in the front with 10 or 10.5 in the back. I currently have 18X8.5 and 18X9.5 in the back dropped to just over one finger. The girlfriend drives that car and never has a complaint. Neither do I for that matter. In order of preference, coilover rank (to me):

- Bilstein PSS
- JIC VIP
- Tein CS
- Everyone else.........

Last edited by ZippyGuy; 06-09-14 at 12:23 PM.