Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strange metal grinding noise from my rear passenger side wheel when I brake.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-07, 11:40 AM
P Rock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange metal grinding noise from my rear passenger side wheel when I brake.

Hey all, I have problem that just developed with my 2002 GS300. When I apply the brakes the car brakes fine until I come to VERY low speeds (almost stopped). It makes a metal grinding sound from my passenger side rear wheel. Sounds like two pieces of raw metal grinding against eachother...only happens when I'm almost at a complete stop. Brakes are silent otherwise.
When I accellerate away after this happens, I still hear the sound slightly and when I tap the brake, it goes away again. I searched and people seemed to have had similar problems but I don't think mine is associated with the brakes themselves (new pads and rotors on the car last fall). I think it may be something attached to the brakes....any ideas? It's so loud, people in the cars next to me with their windows rolled down look over at me when they hear it.
Old 06-14-07, 02:33 PM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has to be your Rotor grinding. Even tho it was replaced last fall its a possibility. I had the same issue and it was my rotor.
Old 06-14-07, 07:49 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Check the lug nuts, make sure they're torqued to 76 ft. lbs. They are all that holds the rotor solidly in place. If they check out, then jack up that corner of the car and spin the wheel around a few times to see if you locate the noise. Your description does sound like one of the brake components have worn out already, most likely the pads. Another thought, once I had a small rock wedge between the rotor and pads, awful sounding and how it got there is beyond me. Good Luck!
Old 06-14-07, 07:51 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Check pads and rotors, sounds like the bare metal of worn pads grinding against the rotors. The rotors probably have to be resurfaced now. Happened to me a few years ago.
Old 06-14-07, 08:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

its probably your brake pads wearing down to the metal, or your rotors are warped, or maybe the caliper's pistons are seized?

Gotta have them visually inspected..
Old 06-14-07, 08:46 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

two above replies sound about right
Old 06-15-07, 07:21 AM
P Rock
Driver

Thanks for the replies everyone. If it was pads or rotors, wouldn't this sound be evident everytime I brake at any speed? It only happens when the car is barely moving....almost to a complete stop. When I take off from a stop, I can still hear something slightly grinding and when I tap the brakes, it goes away. Strange.....
Old 06-15-07, 12:18 PM
j stuff
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey prock i think the best thing to do is to go to a Brake Check if you have those in your area or any other places that do checks for free and have them find out what the problem is. Then you can decide what to do once they find it.

My local brake check actually pointed out my balljoint problem during a brake inspection
Old 06-15-07, 07:14 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by P Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone. If it was pads or rotors, wouldn't this sound be evident everytime I brake at any speed? It only happens when the car is barely moving....almost to a complete stop. When I take off from a stop, I can still hear something slightly grinding and when I tap the brakes, it goes away. Strange.....
Yes and No. Yes if the brakes are shot, we talking metal to metal. No if they are giving you the early warning sign.
Old 06-15-07, 07:42 PM
DPK*David
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn im having the same issue. takin it to the dealer.
Old 06-15-07, 09:04 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I had this EXACT symptom yesterday on my way to work. Braking was almost silent until nearly stopped, and then the growling noise would emerge, and get quite loud. When accelerating, I heard a bit of scraping/ticking, and then silent again. Repeat at every stop.

At work, I looked through the wheel opening at the rotor, and noticed grind marks on the outside of the rotor. Bought some pads on the way home, took out the old ones, and sure enough, the pads were down to almost nothing, and one was metal on metal with rotor. Replaced pads, all is quiet again. So I almost guarantee that you have the same problem.

As an aside, I was wondering why the stupid wear indicators didn't kick in, and then realized that they did, but the darn car is too quiet with the windows rolled up, and so I never heard them . I guess I need to have a better ear next time!
Old 06-15-07, 09:08 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worn brake pads, warped rotors, seized pistons, or bad wheel bearing.
Old 06-27-07, 02:42 PM
P Rock
Driver

Originally Posted by ElitistK
worn brake pads, warped rotors, seized pistons, or bad wheel bearing.
For search reference, I replaced the pads and rotors and the grinding went away completely No more embarassing grinding sound when I brake in front of a group of people crossing the street
Old 08-15-18, 01:43 PM
Taitais
Driver School Candidate

Default I have been having the same issue with mine

I have replaced my break pads and rotors twice! Still I hear that sound in the back right side of my vehicle. I have had it inspected by 4 different mechanics and still I can’t figure it out. Please help, and don’t tell me it’s the brake pads please. I have bought pads with different materials and this is now the third brake pad, the original, and two new ones, since this problem started about a year ago.
Old 08-15-18, 03:01 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Check the brake hardware. I had that happen on one of my other cars and it was one of the clips on the backing pad that was too long from the factor scraping on the rotor. I just clipped that off and the sound went away.

Quick Reply: Strange metal grinding noise from my rear passenger side wheel when I brake.