Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunking sound when braking .

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 07:15 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clunking sound when braking .

I recently changed my pads, rotors and brakelines.
and now I get this "clunk" sound whenever i brake. it kind of sounds exactly like "clunk" like a rod or metal suddenly slipping out of its place.
It is noticeably coming from the front passenger wheel. It never used to be that way before the rotor, pad and ss line change.
I noticed that when I steadily knock on the wheel(tire) i can hear a kind of metal vibrating sound somewhere in the rotor/brake/caliper area. When i knock on the other wheel(driver side), it was firm and there was no sound coming from it.
My buddie is going to come and re-check the install on tuesday but i just wanted to see if anyone had any comments. I searched the forums but could not duplicate the situation through the search function.
I did read on the internet that sounds like that arise from a part of the caliper/ rotor/ brake not re-installed back tightly or correctly. could it be the caliper shifting or the pads not tight enough?
If i brake slowly and come to a steady stop wthout pushing the pedal to the limit, it does not occur.But when i brake like immediatley or to a complete stop it occcurs.
Besides that everything is perfect and i got the HUGE brake difference i was looking for from the rotors/pads/SS lines upgrade.
But this sound makes me think something is about to crack or break from how it sounds.
please advise guys
thanks
olddog
Old 06-11-07, 08:45 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well when you are tapping the wheel, and get that vibrating sound, that sounds like your dust sheild. And that clunk might be the same thing. Check that your rims are on correctly, and tight enough. 80ft/lbs is what I like.
Old 06-11-07, 08:58 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

factory torque spec for wheels is 76lbs i believe and for the calipers its like 87.

but you may want to read this...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=noise

Last edited by GSoup; 06-11-07 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-12-07, 03:58 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Clunk sound is still there. I found a way to really duplicate the issue now.When am driving around 20mph slow and steady, if i tap on the brakes every second(not to the end), the sound comes "clunk, clunk, clunk,clunk". It NEVER happens when in reverse. only in drive.
I took it to Midas(don't really trust their judgement) and one of their mechanics took off the wheel andc the pistons(that thing holding the pads to the rotor) and shook the pads. They moved/shook very slightly about 5mm up and down and he concluded that the pads were too short for my car and that caused play in the system.
I asked him why it was not happening on the other side then but got no straight answer.
Could this be true? The pads fit right in and they are new PBS pads.
I am thinking about putting the old pads back in as they are still very good to see what happens.
please advise guys, every "clunk" i hear is like a knife through my heart
Old 06-12-07, 04:30 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I had the same problem..clunk sound like something was loose.. check the rear rotors because mine had to much play in them.. The shop took the rotor off and you could see where it was touching inside the rotor on the hub.. remove that small rubber piece and there is a adjustment that you turn. the e-brake( foot brake) will get hard to push down.. this was the culprit of my sound.. maybe you have the same issue.. I'm using the brembo slotted rotors all around.. hope this helps..
Old 06-12-07, 04:41 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i think its coming from around the front passenger side wheel.
Old 06-12-07, 04:44 PM
olddog
Pole Position

anybody have a picture of the "shim kit" and "fit kit" lexus sells?
Old 06-12-07, 04:49 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by olddog
i think its coming from around the front passenger side wheel.
Just thought i could help.. maybe PM lexforlife.. he's the suspension guru IMO and could maybe help.. GL bro...
Old 06-12-07, 07:41 PM
olddog
Pole Position

i visited the parts store at the lexus dealer. i told them of the clunk and they were almost certain it was the brake pads moving. i wasn't too convinced th that suggestion cos the clunk sound is loud and i cannot understand how a little shift from pads in the tire section can cause such noise which is most certainly amplified to a more than noticeable level. But i remember when my rear pads were simply missing their kit (just 2 pins) and they rattled like hell with sounds that were loud also.
anyways, i got a shim kit and fit kit from the lexus dealer. i will put them on tomorrow and give update.
i hope that fixes it.
olddog
Old 06-12-07, 09:58 PM
GSmooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not sure if this helps but i had a similar sound comming from my front pass side in my 1st gen Gs. Whenever i would brake hard to a complete stop or make tight turns it would make an awful "clunk" noise. $600 later after replacing the control arm which didn't solve it they discovered it was my lower ball joints..
Old 06-13-07, 10:34 AM
olddog
Pole Position

UPDATE....
I got the "shim kit' and "fitting kit" installed by my mechanic for $20 and the clunk is completely gone. its so amazing how little shifts in pads could create such lound clunks.
thanks for your help everyone.
car is in tip-top form now

olddog
Old 06-13-07, 10:41 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I figured it was that hence the link.

Now if i can stop being lazy and fix the same issue on my car..LOL
Old 06-13-07, 11:00 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Default hey

Originally Posted by GSoup
I figured it was that hence the link.

Now if i can stop being lazy and fix the same issue on my car..LOL
thanks alot bro.
Old 06-13-07, 12:34 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by olddog
UPDATE....
I got the "shim kit' and "fitting kit" installed by my mechanic for $20 and the clunk is completely gone. its so amazing how little shifts in pads could create such lound clunks.
thanks for your help everyone.
car is in tip-top form now

olddog
Maybe thats what i have in the rear.. I'm going into the shop again tomorrow,.. Good to hear you located the issue..
Old 06-14-07, 06:51 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

olddog, please provide part numbers. I just started having the same problem.

Quick Reply: clunking sound when braking .