Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Like a 5-series

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 11:17 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Like a 5-series

I want my GS to handle and ride like a stock 5 series. Which suspension setup would accomplish this? Comments on tire size and profile would also help.

Thanks
Old 05-25-07, 11:48 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Well lexforlife may have the answer to this since he has had bimmers and his GS handles like a bimmer...

Tein Flex, Tom's LCB, Tom's 6 link kit, Tom's rear LCB, Front/ rear STB's, new ball joints, new caster arms, and probably new bushings in the front LCA's... Just a few things.. LOL

and last but not least.. BBK...
Old 05-25-07, 11:49 AM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrurmil
Comments on tire size and profile would also help.

Thanks
i'm pretty sure my five ran 255 / 45 out back and 235 /40 in the front on 17in wheels when it was stock
Old 05-25-07, 11:53 AM
LexFather

I've driven stock/modded 5s and GSs...
You will never match the 5 steering but you have a 2003 GS which has hte re-tuned ECU. Handling wise
1. TRD Sway bars= less sway than the 5 series. Your car will actually be more balanced.
2, Shocks/Springs= You can go wiht L-tuned/Eibachs and KYB shocks, you don't have to do anything too drastic. You get coils and your car will outhandle a 5.

Anything else simply makes things tighter. Those 2 things are what you need.
Old 05-25-07, 12:21 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

How is the ride quality with the L-Tuned/Eibach and KYB? It is not too harsh is it?
Old 05-25-07, 01:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

It's not too harsh. It feels just a hair stiffer than stock, but it feels substantionally better than stock around the turns.

You can make your GS outhandle a 5-series, but you will never be able to replicate the steering feel
Old 05-25-07, 07:29 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Well lexforlife may have the answer to this since he has had bimmers and his GS handles like a bimmer...

Tein Flex, Tom's LCB, Tom's 6 link kit, Tom's rear LCB, Front/ rear STB's, new ball joints, new caster arms, and probably new bushings in the front LCA's... Just a few things.. LOL

Dude, that suspension setup will rape the hell out of a BMW. I have most of those parts and I can personally attest to that
Old 05-26-07, 05:03 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Dude, that suspension setup will rape the hell out of a BMW. I have most of those parts and I can personally attest to that
tony you are so right brother

jeff rape is not the word , the look on m3 and m5 owners faces is pricless when i am sitting on their bumper in and out of traffic (safely guy)

to get control of the gs all thats needed is part of what sicklex stated however instead of shocks and springs which will never be dynamically balanced the teins c2 V2 , daizen sways, must have rear 6 piece links and front and rear lower control braces and front upper strut tower bar and a nice set of 19in staggered lightweight wheels and you be grinning
Old 05-26-07, 10:39 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife

jeff rape is not the word , the look on m3 and m5 owners faces is pricless when i am sitting on their bumper in and out of traffic (safely guy)
I went to an autocross event with my friend that has an M3 and his buddy with a M5. I managed to pull better times than both of them This was with me running at only 6psi

Actually, the funniest thing was the look on most of the other drivers faces when we rolled in "big" 4 door sedans lol . Everyone was there with a little Miata, S2000, MR2, etc...
Old 06-04-07, 05:52 PM
pauldfs
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I've driven stock/modded 5s and GSs...
You will never match the 5 steering but you have a 2003 GS which has hte re-tuned ECU. Handling wise
1. TRD Sway bars= less sway than the 5 series. Your car will actually be more balanced.
2, Shocks/Springs= You can go wiht L-tuned/Eibachs and KYB shocks, you don't have to do anything too drastic. You get coils and your car will outhandle a 5.

Anything else simply makes things tighter. Those 2 things are what you need.
So would an "older" GS without the re-tuned ECU need more?
Old 06-04-07, 07:40 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

nope but the steering feel would be different. You can upgrade the ecu in your car. But even if you dont you will still get better hadling than the bimmer if you do all of those mods.
Old 06-04-07, 08:09 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

to get control of the gs all thats needed is part of what sicklex stated however instead of shocks and springs which will never be dynamically balanced the teins c2 V2 , daizen sways, must have rear 6 piece links and front and rear lower control braces and front upper strut tower bar and a nice set of 19in staggered lightweight wheels and you be grinning
THis is true with Ed, i've been in the his car and it handles amazing..
Old 06-05-07, 04:23 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

THis is true with Ed, i've been in the his car and it handles amazing..
thanks tony

you should ride in it now since i have adjusted the pre load alittle tighter on the teins flex and with the 20x11 and 305 out back , it just feels glues to the road
Old 06-05-07, 05:26 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pauldfs
So would an "older" GS without the re-tuned ECU need more?
No the basics are the same, you can upgrade to the GS 430 ECU if you cannot find an L-tuned one. THey are the "Euro" spec ECU, since they like tighter steering feel there.

Otherwise all suspension pieces are the same. The GS 400 might even feel a lil sportier than a 430 b/c you have e-shift.
Old 06-05-07, 04:36 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

thanks tony

you should ride in it now since i have adjusted the pre load alittle tighter on the teins flex and with the 20x11 and 305 out back , it just feels glues to the road
I bet its a night and day difference from that last time i was in the GS..

Quick Reply: Like a 5-series