Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rubbing...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-07, 12:41 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing...

How do you guys with the 19s and 20s wheels keep it from rubbing your wheels well? I haven't even dropped my car yet and from any small dip or hump in the street, my back tires rub. I'm afraid it's going to be worst when I put on coilovers and drop it. Is there a camber adjustment you have to do to prevent this from happening? Or will it just stop with a stiffer suspension? I'm running 19x9.5 in the back on stock suspension.

-John
Old 05-25-07, 12:51 AM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingLuxury
How do you guys with the 19s and 20s wheels keep it from rubbing your wheels well? I haven't even dropped my car yet and from any small dip or hump in the street, my back tires rub. I'm afraid it's going to be worst when I put on coilovers and drop it. Is there a camber adjustment you have to do to prevent this from happening? Or will it just stop with a stiffer suspension? I'm running 19x9.5 in the back on stock suspension.

-John
You have to take offset, width and tire sizes in consideration. If you are rubbing on the fender, that means that your offset is too low. One way to fix this is: buying thinner tires and stretching them to give it more clearance. Shaving or rolling your fenders will also give you more clearance. Negative camber will also. Another way (correct) is to buy wheels that fit. Good luck.
Old 05-25-07, 02:17 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default my tire sizes

Originally Posted by whazzzzuup
You have to take offset, width and tire sizes in consideration. If you are rubbing on the fender, that means that your offset is too low. One way to fix this is: buying thinner tires and stretching them to give it more clearance. Shaving or rolling your fenders will also give you more clearance. Negative camber will also. Another way (correct) is to buy wheels that fit. Good luck.

ok, here are my tire sizes:

fronts: 245/40R19

rears: 275/35R19

are those sizes too big?
Old 05-25-07, 02:20 PM
greenvy2k
Lead Lap

well we also need to take in to account the offsets. +45,+40,+35 etc.
Old 05-25-07, 02:38 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Front:19x8.5 ET35

Rear:19x9.5 ET40
Old 05-25-07, 03:01 PM
whazzzzuup
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingLuxury
Front:19x8.5 ET35

Rear:19x9.5 ET40

Your tire is taller (out of spec). A lot of people on here run fat-tire setups like you, but they are fine, because they run stretched tires or higher offsets.
Old 05-25-07, 05:49 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default rft

Your tire is taller (out of spec). A lot of people on here run fat-tire setups like you, but they are fine, because they run stretched tires or higher offsets.

Uh man, that's right! I didn't think running just 5% difference from the original specs would make such a dramatic change. So now with this problem, I surely can't return the tires so what can I do? Heat gun the plastic molding? Or will firming up the coilovers(once I get them installed) help with the rubbing? Thanks for the feedback.

Current:
245/40R19
275/35R19

Recommended:
245/35/19
275/30/19
Old 06-01-07, 05:45 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

I searched for the right tires and can't find them in run flats. It seems like the run flats are only available in the size that I'm using and having problems. Is this true? Does anyone know about this?
Old 06-01-07, 05:45 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default stretched?

What do you mean by stretched tires? I surely can't change the offset of my rims now so can only adjust the tires.
Old 06-01-07, 10:55 PM
KRGS4
Driver

Without changing your Rims(ie offsets) your options are:

1. Fender modifications (Heat the moulding up or rolling)

2. Lower spec Overall diameter tires 30s

3. Seriously Stiffen up the travel on your coilovers/shocks

I like the 40/35 set up...ride is still nice and tolerable.
but I hated the rub/scape...every bump or depression in the road I was "holding my breath" and hating life.

good luck.
Old 06-02-07, 12:50 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by KRGS4
Without changing your Rims(ie offsets) your options are:

1. Fender modifications (Heat the moulding up or rolling)

2. Lower spec Overall diameter tires 30s

3. Seriously Stiffen up the travel on your coilovers/shocks

I like the 40/35 set up...ride is still nice and tolerable.
but I hated the rub/scape...every bump or depression in the road I was "holding my breath" and hating life.

good luck.

Thanks man. I agree with you on the 40/35 set up. I guess i could only stiffen up my coilovers and driver slower. As for the fender modifications, I doubt heating up the moulding would solve anything. I've looked under the wheel well and there is no sign of scrapping on the moulding but more so right on the inner edge of the fender....and weird enough ONLY on the passenger rear! ????? Nothing on the driver's rear. Any clue anyone? From an eyeball view, it looks like the driver's rear tire is a bit deeper into the car compared to the passenger's rear tire...which sticks out more, so it rubs right on the inner side of the fender. Are my wheel alignment screwed up? ??????
Old 06-02-07, 10:11 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's only on one side of the rear and not the other, then your rear camber settings might be off. Also, when we talk about rolling the fenders...it's not just the plastic lining. You actually need to push the metal outwards and bend the inner lip up for the fronts. For the rears, you need to cut out the inner lip and sand it down. Yes, they are both permanent mods
Old 06-02-07, 04:54 PM
Bigbea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd roll the fender if I were you. 30 series is gunna ride kinda rough.
Old 06-02-07, 07:28 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your back tire is too wide... i run a 265/30/R20 in the rear on a 9.5 inch wide rim in the back that might help you not rub as well...
Old 06-07-07, 09:28 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default Hmmm....

Originally Posted by jwin
your back tire is too wide... i run a 265/30/R20 in the rear on a 9.5 inch wide rim in the back that might help you not rub as well...

If that is so the case, I will use that size when I get new tires, but still doesn't make any sense of why only the right rear rubs and none of the other wheel rubs.....

Quick Reply: Rubbing...