Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Busted ball joints at 20k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-07, 12:27 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Busted ball joints at 20k miles?

I'm not sure what the heck it is. I mean my car just passed 20k miles recently and my front right side is clunking. It doesn't happen very often, just only at very low speeds. When I'm pulling out of a driveway or parking space and going foward/reverse while turning the wheel left to right. It makes a little clunk. There is no play in the steering, looseness, or anything. I drive pretty hard, but I didn't think the balljoints can go out so soon lol.

Another possibility is that my transmission mount broke because the clunks started a day or two after I got my turbo up and running. I'm gonna jack up the car and look around under there tomorrow to see whats up. Just trying to see if any of you with bad balljoints had any similar symptoms.
Old 03-28-07, 12:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Pull apart your balljoint and check if there is any verticle play. Ideally, there shouldn't be any play at all.
Old 03-28-07, 09:53 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

20 K miles is not right. I have a feeling it is the brake pads sliding around that are making that clunk. You might need new shims next time you do your brakes.
Old 03-28-07, 02:14 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slickgt1
20 K miles is not right. I have a feeling it is the brake pads sliding around that are making that clunk. You might need new shims next time you do your brakes.
I have the Supra TT brakes that don't have the clicking noise of the stockers. Well, just not as much. I don't think its the brakes though because it will clunk when I turn the wheel left right while moving very slow.
Old 03-28-07, 02:54 PM
GSteg
Rookie

It's possible that the balljoints can be broken by now. Knowing the kind of driving you do, I'm not surprise if the balljoints really do show lots of wear. Whenever you brake and/or turn hard, you're putting a lot more stress on the joint. Our balljoints weren't design for such abuse. For now, you just gotta take it easy
Old 03-28-07, 03:37 PM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure that you swaybar nut/bolts are properly torqued and tight. I had a front end clunk ( on the passenger side ) like you describe and it turned out to be loose swaybar nut/bolts ( infamous Daizen loosening swaybars ). Those suckers are loctited now and I've had no problems. Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 03-28-07, 05:15 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
For now, you just gotta take it easy
Hm, I could just replace my balljoints every 2 years lol
Old 03-29-07, 05:22 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm, what about tie-rods? When did you change those? Does it do the clunk noise when you are standin in one spot as well?
Old 03-29-07, 08:03 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by slickgt1
Hmm, what about tie-rods? When did you change those? Does it do the clunk noise when you are standin in one spot as well?
Well, as of yet I haven't replaced anything yet. I only have 20k miles on the car lol. I'm thinking that it might be the front right ball joint at this point.
Old 04-01-07, 10:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Hm, I replaced the balljoint on the passenger side but the clunking is still there! The balljoint had a tear in the boot (probably due to me removing it ), but the balljoint has no freeplay in it so that wasn't my problem in the first place. Good thing my driving style didn't bust the balljoints, but bad thing that something is still clunking.

Oh well, the balljoints are done with and replaced so there's no going back now lol. Everything is nice and tight down there so I have no idea what the heck is making the noise...it's driving me nuts lol.
Old 04-02-07, 04:27 AM
GSteg
Rookie

is it only coming from the front right side?
Old 04-02-07, 05:18 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
is it only coming from the front right side?
Yeah, and it's really bad when I'm pulling up my driveway.
Old 04-03-07, 05:32 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Castor arm bushing. Definitely. That is the only bushing I switched to Daizen for the same exact reason, it would clunk from the up and down movement. Visually it looked fine when taken out, but it was weak. It is such a big bushing, but most of it is empty, it definitely gives out early on our cars. I had the same thing, clunk in the front, especially pronounced when going in my driveway. It was really bad, my girl would bug out sometimes and ask me what that was.
Old 04-04-07, 10:22 PM
Adam2562
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm maybe i needto replace this on my car.. where can i buy the aftermarket piece for it...?
Old 04-04-07, 11:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

contact sewell lexus (www.lexus-parts.com). They sell the Daizen control arm bushing kit for $100

Quick Reply: Busted ball joints at 20k miles?