Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 01:26 AM
SLVRGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clunking noise

hey guys/gals.. jes wanted ta share my experience with my suspension.. i bought an 04 gs300 in march.. the original owner mentioned a noise from the driver's rear side suspension.. happens rarely.. so you know, i had plans on lowering the car.. i installed the tein cs v.1 and still the noise would happen.. this is mostly when the car is turning and/or when the car is going uphill/downhill.. like a driveway bump, i guess? i called lexus.. the were nice enough to tell me if i had warranty. which i do.. and to install the stock struts back onto the car so it gets covered. did so.. i took it in.. they say that they needed to order a strut.. i told them that i didnt think that i was the problem.. but any way.. i had to bring the car back after a week.. took it in.. they said replacing the strut didnt do anything.. what they did was found a stiffner bar behing the back seats.. the bolts were loose on that bar.. that fixed the problem.. my question is.. what is that bar called? is there an aftermarket one that i could purchase? would someone please be able to show me a pdf file or diagram of how and where this part is located? i appreciate any help given in advance!!
thanks, Josh
Old 11-15-06, 12:21 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jobal46
hey guys/gals.. jes wanted ta share my experience with my suspension.. i bought an 04 gs300 in march.. the original owner mentioned a noise from the driver's rear side suspension.. happens rarely.. so you know, i had plans on lowering the car.. i installed the tein cs v.1 and still the noise would happen.. this is mostly when the car is turning and/or when the car is going uphill/downhill.. like a driveway bump, i guess? i called lexus.. the were nice enough to tell me if i had warranty. which i do.. and to install the stock struts back onto the car so it gets covered. did so.. i took it in.. they say that they needed to order a strut.. i told them that i didnt think that i was the problem.. but any way.. i had to bring the car back after a week.. took it in.. they said replacing the strut didnt do anything.. what they did was found a stiffner bar behing the back seats.. the bolts were loose on that bar.. that fixed the problem.. my question is.. what is that bar called? is there an aftermarket one that i could purchase? would someone please be able to show me a pdf file or diagram of how and where this part is located? i appreciate any help given in advance!!
thanks, Josh
I have the same exact problem. I've been trying to locate the sound for months now. Where is this stiffner bar?? Anyone???
Old 11-15-06, 06:41 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont get it. if the noise is coming from the front of the car, how would this bar in the back seat come into play?

most people who has a clunking problem in the front end can say it's front suspension related. These were some items members replaced to get rid of the clunking sound: ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack assembly bushings, sway bar bushings or all bushings in the front end since these are soft rubber and will wear away over time.

go to a reputable suspension shop and have them diagnose your problem. Bring it back to Lexus and have them repair it if your warranty is in play.
Old 11-15-06, 08:44 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by corkycal
i dont get it. if the noise is coming from the front of the car, how would this bar in the back seat come into play?

most people who has a clunking problem in the front end can say it's front suspension related. These were some items members replaced to get rid of the clunking sound: ball joints, tie rod ends, steering rack assembly bushings, sway bar bushings or all bushings in the front end since these are soft rubber and will wear away over time.

go to a reputable suspension shop and have them diagnose your problem. Bring it back to Lexus and have them repair it if your warranty is in play.
nobody said anything about the noise coming from the front.
My sound is from the rear. I checked everything in the rear and cannot find the root of the noise.

Update: Problem resolved. Sound was coming from the cross bar behind the seat. Access through the trunk and pull carpet down. That bar going across the seat was cauing my clunking.

Last edited by sputniknyc; 12-07-06 at 09:13 AM.