Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rotora Stage 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-06, 12:09 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rotora Stage 1 upgrade

So now that I've got the complete Rotora Stage 1 kit installed here's my feedback. My experience is based on two setup's one withOUT FRONT stainless steel brake lines and the other WITH front SS lines.

Some tech info

Rotora Stage 1 brake upgrade all four corners. Fits OEM wheels, even 16'". Cost is around $700 (parts only). Note the stock calipers are used in this setup, this is not a BBK.

1. Rotora slotted OEM replacement rotors
2. Rotora stainless steel brake lines
3. Rotora ceramic brake pads.

Weight of the Rotora rotors only, measured on a postal scale. Weights are per rotor.

Front: 20.4lbs (9.25kg)
Rear: 12.8lbs (5.81kg)

My OEM rotors (2000 GS 400) had ~64,000 miles on them and weighed:
OEM front rotor: 19.9lbs
OEM rear rotor: 12.8lbs

Driving experience
At first I didn't have the front SS lines installed because Rotora accidentally sent me the wrong ones (they were labeled with the right part number though). Props go to BRADSGS4 and his tech at Lindsay Lexus for the install and working with Rotora to get me the right parts. In the interim, I had the all the rotors and brake pads and the rear SS lines installed. First thing I noticed was a new sound when braking. I think the slots on the rotors cause more noise than smooth rotors, but I actually enjoy the sound. It's not brake squeal, it's more like a rapid 'whoosh whoosh whoosh'. The brake pedal felt slightly firmer with this setup, and there is a better initial bite.

I went back to BRADGS4 after the front SS lines were delivered. Big time improvement. The brake pedal was much firmer, it felt like my car stopped much more quickly. I could engage abs with less pedal effort. Definitely felt more confidence while hitting the twisties and braking deeper into the turn. The brakes also felt more consistent and less 'fatigued' after some spirited driving.

I haven't washed my car in over a month and these brake pads have not produced a lot of dust. But I'm rolling on stock Platinum wheels, which are darker than the silver 17", so maybe the color is masking some of this?

So my recommendation is for anyone that's looking to keep their stock wheels, or can't go to BBK because they swap rims during the winter, this is a good alternative. You definitely want to get the SS lines regardless of which vendor you choose for rotors and pads, but I'm very satisfied with the Rotora setup.
Old 10-05-06, 12:33 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Now you got this done, your next upgrade will be Supra TT front calipers and rotors . Oh trust me, it's a big boost over stock
Old 10-05-06, 12:47 AM
flyfl1pguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post pics of your BBK.