Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
View Poll Results: What mod(s) to do before winter???
Rotora BBK
0%
Tein CS
80.00%
OEM Rotors and pads
20.00%
OEM Suspension
0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Suspension or Brakes first????

Old 10-04-06, 02:08 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poll: Suspension or Brakes first????

So I have a little dillema here. My brakes are out with my suspension. Im talking about I need both BADLY. Now you have to consider I live in Chicago and winter is coming up. I've been wanting to purchase the Rotora fronts and Tein CS for my car. I can get both at the same time but dont know if it would be smart to do these right before winter so heres the poll. Do I get the bbk now? or oem size rotors (old ones are warped) and pads? Do I upgrade suspension now? or just replace with OEM? Please choose all that would apply

Last edited by DzaztrBUSE; 10-04-06 at 02:10 PM. Reason: let users know ablilty to click more than one
Old 10-04-06, 02:15 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems like brakes are more of a priority.

what's your budget?
Old 10-04-06, 02:55 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

When I first read the title of the thread I automatically thought suspension. But reading the post I think you should do the brakes first. Get something cheap that can hold you over until the winter is over. Then get the Tein CS and the BBk.

Last edited by bluelex; 10-04-06 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-04-06, 03:15 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
When I first read the title of the thread I automatically thought suspension. But reading the post I think you should do the brakes first. Get something cheap that can hold you over until the winter is over. Then get the Tein CS and the BBk.

Old 10-04-06, 03:59 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Yea, you can drive on worn suspension, but not on worn brakes
Old 10-04-06, 05:05 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TLW
Seems like brakes are more of a priority.

what's your budget?
$1400 tops. Any ideas? Has anyone had any experience with x-drilled or slooted rotors in the snow? Thats my main worry.
Old 10-04-06, 05:06 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I would hate to spend $200 on brakes when its only going to get replaced months down the line.
Old 10-04-06, 06:39 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Well you don't necessarily have to get a BBK. I would get the Tein CS definitely. Besides you're not adding anything that's going to make you go any faster so you don't necessarily need to stop that much faster. I installed diamond and slotted rotors this weekend but I can't really comment on the performance because they have a break-in period which I just reached so I wasn't really testing them out. Get a set of some nice Brembo cross-drilled and slotted rotors and the Tein suspension. There are actually a few things on the GS that were designed pretty good from what I hear and the brakes is one of them, but of course an upgrade never hurts. So I think you should forego the BBK for now. When your Brembos are worn out then get the BBK.
Old 10-04-06, 07:00 PM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
$1400 tops. Any ideas? Has anyone had any experience with x-drilled or slooted rotors in the snow? Thats my main worry.
You will need Twice that for a BBK kit no?
Old 10-04-06, 07:29 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cpone
He could get the Supra BBK, but I think it's only for the front.
Old 10-04-06, 07:35 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DzaztrBUSE
I would hate to spend $200 on brakes when its only going to get replaced months down the line.
I fully understand, but $200 now instead of an thousand in a accident later.
Old 10-04-06, 08:43 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cpone
Actually the Rotoras I could get for $1200 or so. Maybe a little more.

Originally Posted by OLP
Brakes! No brainer! I wouldn't want to have an expensive brake setup for my "winter car"..Maybe you should buy a winter beater (seriously)
I was thinking about getting another Ford Bronco but still would want to drive the car until it snows. The Bronco has a 5.8 and chuggs like crazy but still fun to drive.

Originally Posted by TLW
I fully understand, but $200 now instead of an thousand in a accident later.
Ok ok, ill be responsible

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
Well you don't necessarily have to get a BBK. I would get the Tein CS definitely. Besides you're not adding anything that's going to make you go any faster so you don't necessarily need to stop that much faster. I installed diamond and slotted rotors this weekend but I can't really comment on the performance because they have a break-in period which I just reached so I wasn't really testing them out. Get a set of some nice Brembo cross-drilled and slotted rotors and the Tein suspension. There are actually a few things on the GS that were designed pretty good from what I hear and the brakes is one of them, but of course an upgrade never hurts. So I think you should forego the BBK for now. When your Brembos are worn out then get the BBK.
Well I do plan to make it a little faster. I have slotted rotors now and felt a HUGE difference from stockers. I like knowing my car will stop easier coming off the expressway.
Old 10-05-06, 12:26 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

First, I'm not sure if you have aftermarket 18"+ wheels, if not, you can rule out ever going with a BBK as far as I know. Second, if you do have aftermarket wheels, I don't see why winter would stop you from buying a BBK? Are you going to be switching the brakes back to OEM every winter? Third, if you swap your aftermarket wheels with OEMs during the winter, you won't be able to do that any longer with a BBK (unless you swap your brakes too).

Regardless, you should do the brakes first. And if you do have aftermarket wheels, shame on you for not lowering your ride in the first place.
Old 10-05-06, 06:36 AM
skeet94
Driver

Supra Brakes with custom brackets made for the rear...and that leaves you with more money in advance to spend on the suspension . It's the direction I'm heading in, with the exception I'll try to use the front stock 2 pot calipers in the rear and upgrade the front's with the 4 pot Supra calipers .
Old 10-05-06, 07:13 AM
cpone
There can only be One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually the Rotoras I could get for $1200 or so. Maybe a little more.
A set of 4? Or just the front?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Poll: Suspension or Brakes first????