Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Big brake kit information needed....RMM

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-06, 10:35 AM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big brake kit information needed....RMM

I've searched and searched (both here at CL and Google). Where can I find more information about the RMM big brake kit?

I've seen two sets locally, and wanted to know more about them (# of pistons, piston sizes, pad size, caliper size, wheel fitment, etc.)

I also searched for an RMM website and could not find one.

Please help a noobie GS/Lexus guy.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-14-06, 10:40 AM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rod Millen website!

Originally Posted by Luder94
I've searched and searched (both here at CL and Google). Where can I find more information about the RMM big brake kit?

I've seen two sets locally, and wanted to know more about them (# of pistons, piston sizes, pad size, caliper size, wheel fitment, etc.)

I also searched for an RMM website and could not find one.

Please help a noobie GS/Lexus guy.

Thanks in advance guys.
Check out the website and you should find info there!
http://www.rodmillenstore.com/
Old 09-14-06, 10:43 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with the RMM/Supra TT brakes, make sure your wheels will clear them. My wheels were made to clear big brakes and they still just touched the RMM brakes. I never got a chance to try them out but I have heard good things about them.
Old 09-14-06, 11:12 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

Luder,

The RMM brakes are the exact same as Supra Twin Turbo front brakes, just painted with the RMM logo.

http://www.rodmillenstore.com/prodin...artID=RMMGS041

They're four piston brakes - you can google supra TT brakes and probably find all the info you want. There are also some weight comparison threads here on CL.

Like TexasGS says, they require a load of clearance... I had a set of high disk wheels meant to clear big brakes and they still required a small spacer.
Old 09-14-06, 11:16 AM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Guys, thanks for the quick responses. For the life of me, I couldn't find the RMM store URL. I kept finding the RMM site (which is all informational about the company).

I know that 20" Lsportline M1's clear this setup, but if I was to get these brakes, would I be able to sell them quickly if I ended up not liking them (or had issues trying to find winter wheels to fit the brakes).
Old 09-14-06, 11:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,410 Posts

I know that 20" Lsportline M1's clear this setup, but if I was to get these brakes, would I be able to sell them quickly if I ended up not liking them (or had issues trying to find winter wheels to fit the brakes).
I wouldn't count on it clearing.... it's not just the wheel, it's the spoke design and "high disk" fittment.

You can get a beat up set of Supra TT wheels for winter wheels, or just get a cheap set of wheels from Tire Rack (which is what I ultimately did for a spare wheel)

Edit - here is info on the wheel I got, you could do something similar with winter tires.

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I consulted with Brandon from the tire rack on getting one that was the right offset & would clear + included the different lug nuts you'd need if you used it.

Beyond the obvious brake clearance, I looked for 1) cheap (it is a spare afterall) and 2) light (don't want a 45 lb wheel back there) 3) overall size would fit in my spare tire well.

He recommended the 18" SE Fox 5 at $165 and a lightweight performance tire to go with it.

I really wanted to dump an extra $300 and get a single SSR competition wheel since they're so light, but I just couldn't justify that cost for 8-9 lbs and a wheel I hopefully will never use.

Recommend you give him a shout once you decide what brakes you're going with.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-14-06 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-14-06, 11:37 AM
Luder94
Lead Lap

Dave,

Again thanks for the quick reply and quality information. As for the M1, I am sure that the wheel fits over the caliper with no need for a spacer and such. (I'll leave it at that, such as a teaser should be once I actually get this car and setup done....look for it on the main GS forum soon).

One of the things about whatever setup I decide to run with is that I need it to look classy in either summer or winter modes (so that means no Supra wheels). The car will be my wife's daily driver.

I have been reading up on the fact that the Infinity G35c wheels will/would fit over the Supra brake setup. That may be a viable option for winter wheels

The "Infinity wheels on a Lexus" blasphemy doesn't bother me. The majority of Japanese Dosmetic Market OEM wheels are made by one of two or three manufacturers anyway (be it Enkei, Ray's Engineering, or BBS Japan).

In anycase, if anyone's interested in seeing the brake setup on my two cars (and what the wife is driving now), check here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=231831

Again guys (and especially DaveGS4), thank you very much.

If anyone has more knowledge to add, please do so....I'd greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Luder94; 09-14-06 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Second paragraph grammer fixed.
Old 09-14-06, 11:50 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It depends. Since it is common knowledge that the RMMs are the SupraTT brakes, most people save $ by getting the TTs directly. The calipers can always be painted and decals added. Unless someone really wants the RMM version, many might not want to pay the premium.

As for getting them, it depends on the price. For the MSRP, I'd rather just bump the price a few hundred and get a set of StopTechs 332s. The StopTechs have slightly larger rotors, similar 4 piston calipers, and everything (rotors and calipers) are lighter than the RMM.
Old 09-14-06, 12:53 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff Tsai has the Supra TT brakes on the G35 wheels on his car. They look great. Here is a link to the info he posted about the brakes. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=223895
Old 09-14-06, 02:51 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The 18" G wheels are a great alternative. They have some serious clearance. Even with the TT calipers up front, I still have about 1/2 inch of clearance between the caliper and spokes. I don't think the 19" G wheels look right on the car though.

Rocking the Inifiniti ceter caps looks a bit odd. ....just bondo and paint the center caps so its blank....at least thats what I did. I used the stock lugs and everything is still working great. Nothing out of balance or shaking.