Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen control arm bushings install problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-06, 07:30 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Daizen control arm bushings install problem!!

Ok got my Daizen bushing kit for my 01 GS430 from Tod at TM. I had my mechinc press out the first bushing from the straight lower control arm, not the one with a big bushing that is twisted like an L. Took him 2hrs to do it and 6000 lbs press. Then he put the Daizen bushing in with only 20 lbs of power with his hands, is this normal.. He says these do not sound that they would do the job. Is there a special way to do it, or what? Can someone tell me exactly which bushings go where, they are numbered? But they should not just go in so easy, if they came out so hard..
Old 08-25-06, 10:43 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm lexforlife since he's in florida. i would have made sure your mechanic have done this in the past.
Old 08-26-06, 01:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's normal. pressing out the old bushings is hard. putting in the new ones is easy. they are designed differently

as long as they are the matching ones that's all it matters
Old 08-26-06, 08:07 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

doesn't make sense, Lexus designed these to be nice and tight and it takes 6k lbs of pressure to push this one out and you slide the new ones in back by hand?! so all 4 bushings that are part of this kit for each side of the front end go out hard and go in easy? when you did yours Rom, did the car feel tight on the road, handle better, etc? like everyone says, and was it worth 6 hrs of labor for these to be put on? is there any problems with these new bushings on; shimmy, loose steering feel, alignment problems, etc.. i am a bit skeptical now about these bushings.. my mech told me that these bushings are no good, from the other bushings he did on Audi's and VW where those were made from rubber and steel and not poly. and these should wear out quickly and cause problems by the way these fit so easily, he told me he is paranoide to put put my car on the road with this lower control arm bushing in it that he got it in there by hand.. hahaha.. crazy.. It is never ending with this car in the shop, I tell ya..I don't know Rom.. well my Teins are in and now we just have to do these bushings and take the car off the lift, it has been on the lift for 2 days, and then I will post pics on CL, can't wait.. I took before and will take after pics.. I will let you know what happens..
Old 08-26-06, 08:36 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats totally normal man.. i did my install... same thing... reason being is.. OEM bushing are metal againt metal with offset clearances so that **** is in there tight as FK. pressing the new ones in is a breeze.. lube it up n sqeeze square with both hands.... i mean cmon... do they feel loose in their location ??? No. exactly yr good!
Old 08-26-06, 08:38 AM
DruMnBaSS
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh the only bushing i reccoment not using .. is for the #2 lower control arm which replaces almost the ball joint typr bushing... thats the only one i see wearing out in the future... rest of them.. MAKE sure you lube the crap out of any touching surfaces witht he provided grease... trust me .. you will love the difference... the bushings are great btw....
Old 08-26-06, 09:01 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

ok.. great.. because me and my mech were a bit worried.. will do today.. progress to follow.. which #2 lower control arm not to change, the really big one on S shape or the one that is straight, because that is the one we took out last night, the striaght one, and that the only one we did so far..
Old 08-27-06, 07:02 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

me and my mechanic got all Daizen bushings in today except lower control camber arm, as I read here that one should be left stock, but on the other side I have Daizen bushing, that was the first one we pressed out before I knew about that. My mechanic totaly against these bushings and does not think they would last as long as the stock OEM due to that they are not as tight in there as stock.. But I advised him that a lot of members here are happy and have had this mod done, also I had him put new lower ball joints in and my Tein CS put in!! They feel very nice so far, I have front set on stiffest, back we did not adjust yet, and we did not lower the car.. will give my first impressions tomorrow after alignment, I need it bad..
Old 08-28-06, 08:52 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just wanted to throw in here that I agree with drumnbass.
I think you're just fine. (I did mine about a month ago)

You really cant/shouldn't compare the vulcanized rubber bushings against the Poly bushings. Two different worlds.

Shouldn't take 2 hrs to get one out though. Something wrong with the method there. You can use a propane torch and a screwdriver and do it in less than that. (for one bushing)

For comparison, I got the bushings out on one side myself using a torch. Took about 4 hrs (give or take 45 min)

When I did the other side of the car, I took them to a shop and they did both uppers and both lower bushings in about 45 min total.
Old 08-29-06, 07:57 AM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

what kind of shop was it? 45 min for 4 bushings on one side is fast.. I agree that my mechanic is not experienced in this department.. Let me tell you that this was the worst experience for me with any car I had work done, actually this car had more problems that I had to fix then any other car.. But I blame it on my mech, that my car was kind of a gunea pig for him, I should have taken the car to the shop that work on Lexuses and do these kind of mods. He ended up changing my rack, when we needed to cange the rack shaft, so I just left the rack in there, I just said to myself, maybe the rack would fail soon too, who knows, car has 100k on it.. Then he stripped a tie rod on one side, so I ended up getting 2 new tie rods, but I needed to replace them any way due to millage on the car.. My mech is a friend, not old friend but a friend. So, he only charged me $290 to put Daizen bushings, ball joints and Tein CS in my car. Which is a steal of a deal.. Then he was complaining to me that this is taking him 15 hours to do this job, bla bla bla.. The nyesterday he got frustrated when he was putting the control arms back together end stripped those 2 bolts and the S-shaped control arm thread.. He got so pissed of, he through his power gun 20 feet into the parking lot.. Then went autozone and got bolts and nuts and screw then mack in that way, tight, then the bolt heads did not fit when he tried to tighten the shock assembly, so he had to take the whole thing off and shave the bolt head.. then after that he yanked the speed sensor and now has to order one now, so he is making like $120 on this job!! and I have the biggest headache now.. I still have to do alignment today, and last night we adjusted the coilovers in the front so I have 3 fingers drop in the front and 2 in the back.. I think I have to lift the back to match the front.. Also I played with stiffness yesterday and realized that there are 29 clicks on those shocks, the manual says it needs to be 1-16 clicks anything tighter then that could damage the damper.. anyone shine some light on this? I have them 5 clicks from stiffest set now, I guess 24 clicks from softest in all 4.. The car is much stiffer and bouncy now, I don't know if that is the Tein CS or the bushings, I read posts and people say that is the bushings. I should have left them alone and just got Teins.. Well I am going to do alignment now, will post later..
Old 08-29-06, 05:22 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

I just did alignment, everything within spec, they said my camber adjustment is within spec and there is no more room for the car to sit lower to have the car aligned properly.. Tomorrow I am going to RZ Motoring of Orlando, authorized dealer for Tein and install shop for them to take a look at it and tweak it up.. If I was going to do this again, I would not do the bushing mod, takes to long time to do, and it makes the car very sensitive and bumpy to bumps.. Maybe after my visit to RZ M. I would say different, if they adjust it right, so I would say nothing for now about Daizen bushing kit mod, even though after much research here there were people that were also not that happy with end result and some that were, so we will see.. I tried to play with dampness adjustment on the Teins, I have V2 CS Teins.. Got them from Todd at TM as I mentioned earlier and per the booklet that came with them it says there are 1-16 clicks you can adjust the stiffness, but I counted 29?! So, I counted 16 clicks from softest then took 6 clicks softer on front and 5 in the back from 16.. Shine some light at me if this sounds correct, 29 clicks?? I am sure guys at RZ M. will figure it out and adjust everything right.. I am starting new thread with pics of my set up, check it here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...28#post2094528
Old 08-29-06, 05:38 PM
Wringo
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
I just did alignment, everything within spec, they said my camber adjustment is within spec and there is no more room for the car to sit lower to have the car aligned properly.. Tomorrow I am going to RZ Motoring of Orlando, authorized dealer for Tein and install shop for them to take a look at it and tweak it up.. If I was going to do this again, I would not do the bushing mod, takes to long time to do, and it makes the car very sensitive and bumpy to bumps.. Maybe after my visit to RZ M. I would say different, if they adjust it right, so I would say nothing for now about Daizen bushing kit mod, even though after much research here there were people that were also not that happy with end result and some that were, so we will see.. I tried to play with dampness adjustment on the Teins, I have V2 CS Teins.. Got them from Todd at TM as I mentioned earlier and per the booklet that came with them it says there are 1-16 clicks you can adjust the stiffness, but I counted 29?! So, I counted 16 clicks from softest then took 6 clicks softer on front and 5 in the back from 16.. Shine some light at me if this sounds correct, 29 clicks?? I am sure guys at RZ M. will figure it out and adjust everything right.. I am starting new thread with pics of my set up, check it here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...28#post2094528
RZ has a good mechanic there and they will get you right! Call me and I'll meet you up there!
Old 08-29-06, 06:03 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

will do man.. I hope the Ernesto would be peaceful.. and I don't get stock in Orlando or my gf would kill me, she already gets jealous because I am so into my car and on CL all the time.. lol
Old 08-29-06, 06:45 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dlomonosov
what kind of shop was it? 45 min for 4 bushings on one side is fast.. I agree that my mechanic is not experienced in this department.. Let me tell you that this was the worst experience for me with any car I had work done, actually this car had more problems that I had to fix then any other car.. But I blame it on my mech, that my car was kind of a gunea pig for him, I should have taken the car to the shop that work on Lexuses and do these kind of mods. He ended up changing my rack, when we needed to cange the rack shaft, so I just left the rack in there, I just said to myself, maybe the rack would fail soon too, who knows, car has 100k on it.. Then he stripped a tie rod on one side, so I ended up getting 2 new tie rods, but I needed to replace them any way due to millage on the car.. My mech is a friend, not old friend but a friend. So, he only charged me $290 to put Daizen bushings, ball joints and Tein CS in my car. Which is a steal of a deal.. Then he was complaining to me that this is taking him 15 hours to do this job, bla bla bla.. The nyesterday he got frustrated when he was putting the control arms back together end stripped those 2 bolts and the S-shaped control arm thread.. He got so pissed of, he through his power gun 20 feet into the parking lot.. Then went autozone and got bolts and nuts and screw then mack in that way, tight, then the bolt heads did not fit when he tried to tighten the shock assembly, so he had to take the whole thing off and shave the bolt head.. then after that he yanked the speed sensor and now has to order one now, so he is making like $120 on this job!! and I have the biggest headache now.. I still have to do alignment today, and last night we adjusted the coilovers in the front so I have 3 fingers drop in the front and 2 in the back.. I think I have to lift the back to match the front.. Also I played with stiffness yesterday and realized that there are 29 clicks on those shocks, the manual says it needs to be 1-16 clicks anything tighter then that could damage the damper.. anyone shine some light on this? I have them 5 clicks from stiffest set now, I guess 24 clicks from softest in all 4.. The car is much stiffer and bouncy now, I don't know if that is the Tein CS or the bushings, I read posts and people say that is the bushings. I should have left them alone and just got Teins.. Well I am going to do alignment now, will post later..
Geezz........ bro thats insane
How is that possible?? you never took any action?
I would be long time gone.....
All in all it's not funny but your story deserve little novelle here, i laughed my butt off, i hope your car is well taken care of now
Old 08-30-06, 03:21 PM
Panerai127
Lead Lap

I know man, I will not go to him for anything else, eventhough he is a friend, bu I only spent $290 for the whole install, he told me the speed sensor would be in by Fri, so hopefuly this is for my car for now. I week in and out of the shop with a car, thats enough, Keep me posted on those Daizen sways you told me about.. I'll take them..

Quick Reply: Daizen control arm bushings install problem!!