Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen sway install headache

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-06, 05:54 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daizen sway install headache

I had my sway bars collecting dust for awhile and decided it was time to get them installed. I figured I had car ramps and it would take a few hours if I took my time. Boy was wrong.
Everything went ok untill I tried to loosen the bottom shock bolt. Sweating , sore knuclkes, pry bar and impact wrench and I got the left rear one lose but could never get the right one loose. Not a lot of room to work with under the car. I ended up taking it to a tire shop and 5 sec w/ his impact wrench and it was off.
The front went smooth until tightening the sway bar bracket. the bolt broke off before even reaching the required 31ft/lbs. of torque.

I wonder if the bolts are bad or soft my torque wrench seems to be working fine.
Old 08-18-06, 06:25 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn.. so did you get a new bolt or what? is everything on and installed now? sounds like it was a *****
Old 08-18-06, 07:19 PM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had no problems installing my sways. The biggest problem with the Daizen sways is having to reverse the back supports. Other than that, the cramped conditions are tough but the install is a good DIY.
Old 08-18-06, 07:48 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kharizma
damn.. so did you get a new bolt or what? is everything on and installed now? sounds like it was a *****
Not yet I ordered a few bolts. now I'm going to try and extract the bolt out. the head to the bolt broke off. I have to drill a small hole in what s left of the bolt (its about 1/2" long) then screw the extractor into the hole. first time trying this.
Old 08-18-06, 07:50 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TexasGS
I had no problems installing my sways. The biggest problem with the Daizen sways is having to reverse the back supports. Other than that, the cramped conditions are tough but the install is a good DIY.
The rear would not have been bad except for that darn shock bolt I have a craftsmans impact wrench not industrial size but decent. and it did not help.

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 08-19-06 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-20-06, 06:03 AM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Default WOW finally Daizens on

I got the bolt out and the sways are great. Got rid of that boat float feeling. I do notice alittle more jolt when the body is leaning ing a moderate curve and you hit several bumps but noting major.
Love the feeling night and day differance form stock. With my 18's and mild Eibach drop, the ride is just right.

This is the little guy that caused all the trouble

Last edited by GILLEXUS; 09-21-06 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-20-06, 04:28 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gil buddy, my bolt did the same thing when I re-assembled from the Daizen bushing installation. I wasn't beyond the torque limit either.

one day I hope to have some Daizen swaybars too! Have fun in the corners!!
Old 09-28-06, 09:29 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Why would you need to remove the lower shock bolt?
Old 10-01-06, 06:26 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Why would you need to remove the lower shock bolt?
You have to reverse the stabilzer link bar. The by loosening the lower shock bolt allows you to slide out the bar and reverse it.
Old 10-01-06, 07:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Originally Posted by GILLEXUS
You have to reverse the stabilzer link bar. The by loosening the lower shock bolt allows you to slide out the bar and reverse it.
oohhh....the endlink bolt. i thought you mean the actual bolt that holds the shock to the suspension arm
Old 10-01-06, 08:51 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
oohhh....the endlink bolt. i thought you mean the actual bolt that holds the shock to the suspension arm
You have to just loosen the 19mm bolt that holds the bottom of the rear shock to the suspension arm. This will release the tension on the link arm. Here is a pic fro the manual.
Attached Thumbnails Daizen sway install headache-rear-sway-service-manual-2-large-.jpg  
Old 10-01-06, 08:55 PM
GSteg
Rookie

hrm..weird. i never had to remove the shock bolt
Old 10-01-06, 09:47 PM
GILLEXUS
Lexus Champion

Here is the instructin sheet from the sways. Never mind my notes on it. just marking what sockets I need & TQ #'s. The instructins fail to mention to loosen the ( do not remove) shock bolt but it mentions to tighten it and the Ft/lbs. for it.FYI.
Attached Thumbnails Daizen sway install headache-daizen-instructions-1-large-.jpg  
Old 10-02-06, 12:42 AM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

loctite? thats strange.. why would you need loctite..
Old 10-02-06, 01:25 AM
GSteg
Rookie

So your nuts wont fall off while driving...

in my case it did so many times..I bought a bulk of nuts from lexus just so I can put on a new nut every week. One time when I was going off a 270 degree freeway exit, one of my sway nut fell out. all of the sudden, the car lost momentum and i almost lost control. . I dont like how Daizen has the bar longer than OEM/TRD and how we have to reverse the endlinks. They should have made it the same shape as the TRD bar, but less stiff. Then again, i'm not the engineer.

I got to the point where I disconnected the rear sway bar ... I'm working on something that will solve my problem. lol.

Last edited by GSteg; 10-02-06 at 01:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Daizen sway install headache