Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

**My brakes squeek !**

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-06, 10:06 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default **My brakes squeek !**

My brakes squeek !...I didnt know til the other day ..I went to a Dodgers Game and as I was leaving the parking lot I had my windows and I hear brakes squeling ....at first I didnt think it was me but then after a bit of stop and go ..I realized it was... and its bugging me ....they only sqeek when when Im going slow and am applying preasure to the brakes ....

I have Axxis Deluxe Brakes pads (purchased at Carson)
and F & R slotted x-drilled Rotors ( purchased ar 88rotors)

what can I do to get this fixed
Old 06-26-06, 12:18 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Remove and clean the front pads... Inspect the rotors for excessive grooving

Grease the pad backs and shims.... note attachment for example
I also grease the edges of the pads where they ride in the caliper, atop the stainless inserts.
(the shim alignment tabs point away from the disk, both inner and outer, when reinstalled)

Wipe any excess the may squeeze out the shim edge.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
lbr00394.pdf (35.0 KB, 535 views)
Old 06-29-06, 09:41 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXISM
My brakes squeek !...I didnt know til the other day ..I went to a Dodgers Game and as I was leaving the parking lot I had my windows and I hear brakes squeling ....at first I didnt think it was me but then after a bit of stop and go ..I realized it was... and its bugging me ....they only sqeek when when Im going slow and am applying preasure to the brakes ....

I have recently started to have the same problem except I have the Rotora's with the Axxis pads. It doesnt do it very often but it is quite annoying! Have you gotten rid of the noise yet?
Old 06-30-06, 03:51 AM
GUNRU-GS4
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my new brake setup (Rotoras w/ Akebono) on for over 3000 miles with no squeeks at all. I used the supplied shims and grease on the back of the pad that came with the Akebonos. But on all the spring clips that make contact with the caliper and the pin for the rears I used a small amount of anti-seize. Someone gave me this tip and it worked great. You could quickly lube all these items up in an hour.
Old 06-30-06, 06:13 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Axxis pads tend to be squeeky, i had a set on my integra back in the day with new rotors all around, and the car sounded like a train when its coming to a stop after about 2 months or so! I was annoyed with it, but didnt care to fix it so i sold the car with the squeek. They still stopped well.
Old 06-30-06, 10:32 PM
Realfresh
Rookie

Originally Posted by GUNRU-GS4
I've had my new brake setup (Rotoras w/ Akebono) on for over 3000 miles with no squeeks at all. I used the supplied shims and grease on the back of the pad that came with the Akebonos. But on all the spring clips that make contact with the caliper and the pin for the rears I used a small amount of anti-seize. Someone gave me this tip and it worked great. You could quickly lube all these items up in an hour.

What's anti-seize?
Old 07-01-06, 12:46 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

http://www.neverseezproducts.com/regulargrade.htm

NS-10 is the one ounce tube. Manufactured by Bostik
Old 07-10-06, 10:20 AM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

when I installed my aftermarket brakes and rotors.. i got new noises.. rattle.. clipping.. etc..
do I have to install other items too when replacing with aftermarket slotted x-drilled rotors..?
I know my rear calliper clip is bend .. need a new one.. (any suggestions where to get one;;;price??)..
Thank ALLLLLLLLL!
Old 07-10-06, 02:58 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

The "anti-squeal clips" and the two shims per pad are independent parts of the brake assembly. They should always be reused and replaced as needed by new dealer parts.

Because the pads are not OEM, does not mean you can eliminate the shims that work with them.
Old 07-10-06, 03:11 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I know this is a little off subject but.... I use simple green and spray down the brakes every week before I wash the car and it seems to be a good preventative maintenance to keep all the dirt and dust out of there. Just thought I would mention this cause I have always had nice and quiet brakes. Anyone else??
Old 07-10-06, 04:22 PM
Revhard191
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXISM

LEXISM,

I am not sure if you have replaced your rotors and brakes with cross drilled and slotted rotors, but I have the same problem until they get a little warm. Once I have them warm they go away, but I do know that sound....kind of like a train.

This is my experience, oh and I am running the cerramic AXXIS brakes as well with cross drilled and slotted rotors.

Cheers,

Revhard191

Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 07-12-06, 10:08 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

recently downgraded from axxis ultimate to axxis deluxe

no squeeking... well maybe there is some, but its so faint and low. very happy... i guess i'll wait 2 months and see what happens
Old 07-13-06, 08:01 AM
bollywoodk
Driver School Candidate

TAMMY- THANKS.. I will try that this weekend- just need to find out how much they are aat the dealers here in NY..
Old 07-13-06, 08:06 AM
minla007
Pole Position

i recently bought a used gs4 and my brakes squeek alot too....mainly the front brakes when i brake a low speeds and when i am braking when i am in reverse....not sure what type of pads i got, but the previous owner said he just put on new rotors....they are not BBK, they look stock actually...maybe he didnt use genuine lexus pads....any tips on what pads i should get?
Old 07-18-06, 11:28 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Revhard191
LEXISM,

I am not sure if you have replaced your rotors and brakes with cross drilled and slotted rotors, but I have the same problem until they get a little warm. Once I have them warm they go away, but I do know that sound....kind of like a train.

This is my experience, oh and I am running the cerramic AXXIS brakes as well with cross drilled and slotted rotors.

Cheers,

Revhard191

Just my 2 cents worth...
True!

yes they only squeal until they warm up ...but damn it bugs

Im using Axxis Deluxe pads and 88 rotors X-drilled rotors

....no SS Lines didnt know how to install
I'll get them done next time i do My oil change