Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein SS Coilovers for the IS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 10:00 AM
ihkskim
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

um it doens't weigh 70 to 80 lbs.. they are just 4 small motors and turn the dampening ***** and wires and the small box. 5lbs at most unless your talking about the whole coilover system, springs, etcc... i can ship it out in a ups box for like 8 bucks

how does THIS weigh 80lbs?

Last edited by ihkskim; 06-21-06 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 10:01 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by al503
The EDFC also adds a lot of weight. IIRC, the EDFC will add about 70-80 lbs for all of the hardware required. The IS is already portly IMO. Mods should either keep the weight the same or reduce it.
This can't be right. A spool of 4 guage wires is about 30 pounds, maybe more. I will find an online shop later and check out how much for shipping.

I have seen EDFC being installed and the wires are 16 guage. I disagree with your assumption. 70 lbs is a lot of weight.
Old 06-21-06, 10:32 AM
al503
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I must have been thinking about the entire coilover kit. 4 gauge wire only weighs about .25 lbs/ft so that wouldn't add up to 70-80 lbs. I stand corrected and I apologize for the confusion.

In my defense, I did say IIRC.
Old 06-21-06, 10:50 AM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have been thinking about the entire coilover kit. 4 gauge wire only weighs about .25 lbs/ft so that wouldn't add up to 70-80 lbs. I stand corrected and I apologize for the confusion.

no problem. we are all here to learn and share our experiences.

Last edited by onihc; 06-21-06 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 10:55 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ Conduct such as this, is why I have a great time on this forum. The attitudes here are a relief, and its great to see the info being passed along in this thread.
Old 06-22-06, 02:58 PM
keeeeez
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwaull
$1400 is quite an investment . . . right now im gonna install the eibachs and see how i like them. I guess if im not happy in a couple months i might go with the coilovers . . . but i have heard nothing but great things about the prokit
I have the prokit, and my wife actually approves of it! but I DID hear of an issue with the install; something about some weird noises.

Still, I said the same thing before I put on the springs, if I didn't like em, I'd change em out when the TEIN came out. The springs are still acceptable.
Old 06-22-06, 05:01 PM
akkord
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dj Rando
I just put the pro kit back in my car, and I couldn't agree more. I love the ride, control and overall look of my ride. Way more responsive when it comes to cornering, etc. I am going to get the eibach sway bar set in 2 weeks and see how that helps the body roll.
The Eibach Sway Bar set is out, I've contacted a few places and they didn't know the ETA of them even though Eibach has the part number on their site. Where are you getting them? I'm in So CA too, maybe a deal if we both get them.

On a side note, I had the Tein SS on my 94 Accord and loved them.

Off topic, Zeal Coilovers are out, and people who have gone from Tein to Zeal say its one of the best investments ever, but it comes along with a price of pretty much $2000-2400 depending on what set you get. I am set on getting the Zeal Coilovers.
Old 06-24-06, 12:30 AM
lexy250
Lead Lap

edfc is a complete waste if you are not using your car for track, drifting, etc....there is no need for dampening for stiffer or softer ride on a normal everyday driven car lol...
Old 06-24-06, 12:51 AM
Alex350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexy250
edfc is a complete waste if you are not using your car for track, drifting, etc....there is no need for dampening for stiffer or softer ride on a normal everyday driven car lol...
Not necessarily, because as daily drivers we are bound to encounter significant changes in road surfaces, and the EDFC would play a very important part in adjusting for those conditions.

As an example, let's say that you have your car lowered and you want a stiffer ride, so you adjust the dampers to a stiff setting, but then, all of a sudden, you encounter a really uneven/messed up road... well, guess what, your car is going to start bouncing everywhere like a freakin' grasshopper , and that's when you hit one of the pre-programmed or one of your own customized settings on the EDFC to a smoother setting and voila !! you got yourself a smoother ride over that road surface