Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

please confirm for me

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 07:58 PM
GSV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please confirm for me

I have read a lot of the info here on struts vs. coilovers. With that said...
I have determined for how I am going to drive this car, what 98% of it's use is going to be, how I want the car to look and how much I want to spend all clues lead me to the Eibach/KYB choice. My questions...
1) I have seen it said that the KYBs GR2 are just the same as the stocks (says it right on them)
Is this true?? I also read one should not match a stiffer spring with the stock strut, true??
2) Is there anything in between the KYBs and the Bilsteins. I have heard enough folks say that
the Bilsteins can be considered too firm depending on ones expectation. I am looking for
slightly firmer than stock. I would rather be a little softer than harder but def. want something
firmer than stock.

I plan on doing the TRD STB and replace the control arms bushings with Daizens, replacing most anything else with stock stuff. I have the stock 17s with brand new 245/45 all seasons.
The car has 124k on it and is bone stock with the little to no replacement of suspension.

Thank you for your thoughts gents and ladies (if there are any out there)

G~
Old 04-03-06, 11:30 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts
Default my suggestion

If you want handling without too much ride degradation:

1-don't bother with lowering springs unless you're going for looks.
2-KYB GR-2 or Bilstein HD shocks--either one will do. Avoid Bilstein sports.
3-aftermarket sway bars will do wonders for flat cornering--TRD or Daizen sway bars
4-lightweight forged 18" rims--aim for 8kg or less per rim. They will look less nice than 19" rims but will be functionally better for handling. I think you should do the rims the last--they are the most expensive part of your upgrade and may potentially impact your ride comfort the most.

Do 1-3 first--they will impact less on your ride comfort. you can always put on aftermarket rims anytime if handling is still suboptimal.
Old 04-04-06, 07:31 AM
GSV8
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting, from your sig. you have the GR2s, are you not happy with them? I do want a mild drop for both looks and handling. 17s are responsive enough and getting back to the sake of ride quality 18s wont help. I will check in on the HDs thank you for the sugg. natnut.
I will consider the bars at a later date as I get a chance to assess these impending improvements. Trying not to go too crazy on this car. This forum is like a drug!!!!!!!

Any one else have suggestions???????

Originally Posted by natnut
If you want handling without too much ride degradation:

1-don't bother with lowering springs unless you're going for looks.
2-KYB GR-2 or Bilstein HD shocks--either one will do. Avoid Bilstein sports.
3-aftermarket sway bars will do wonders for flat cornering--TRD or Daizen sway bars
4-lightweight forged 18" rims--aim for 8kg or less per rim. They will look less nice than 19" rims but will be functionally better for handling. I think you should do the rims the last--they are the most expensive part of your upgrade and may potentially impact your ride comfort the most.

Do 1-3 first--they will impact less on your ride comfort. you can always put on aftermarket rims anytime if handling is still suboptimal.