Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help/advice on suspension install

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-06, 01:11 AM
csq860
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help/advice on suspension install

Hi guys, I need some of that expert advice. Lemme state right off that I know next to nothing about how the various supension components work together. That said I've bought some parts over time but haven't had anything installed, I prefer to do things all at once rather than one piece at a time. Now I'm waiting on my new rims and tires and then I'll get the installs done, which brings me to you guys for help.

I'm driving a 1998 GS400 with under 34,000 miles, stock right now. Waiting for install are L-Tuned lowering springs and L-Tuned shocks, Daizen sway bar bushings and Daizen front control arm bushings, and Ruff Racing 18" rims... oh yeah and a TRD strut brace. I haven't priced out the installs on any of this yet but when I do I don't wanna go in blind, so my question is, when it comes to installing these parts should I save money or get a better price doing it all at once? For example during the install of the shocks and springs will it be easier (and therefore cheaper) for them to do the bushings, does removing the old shocks and springs provide easier access to the bushings, or vice versa? Or are these parts far apart from each other so that it's really two separate jobs? And what about the strut brace, will installing that while replacing the shocks be easier than doing just the brace alone?

I may not be stating this well but I hope you see what I'm getting at, basically time is money and I'm wondering if the time to install everything will be substantially reduced doing it all at once rather than piece meal, and if so by how much. As for the rims they'll be mounted and balanced and ready to go, all they'll have to do is bolt them on the same as they'd have to do the old ones, so that shouldn't cost a thing extra, if they try and charge me extra for that I'll know I'm in the wrong shop. Any help or advice will be most appreciated, thanks, Chris.
Old 02-23-06, 03:08 AM
speedie
Pole Position

Honestly having worked in that business as an ASE certified technician I can tell you to do it all at once...But one thing to think about also is not only price but make sure the shop you choose can actually handle that type of work and don't let them know that you don't know much about your parts or that will also work in their favor when it comes to pricing.....Lastly shop around, ask around and be specific on what you want them to do..so they will give you an upfront fair price...

And don't forget you will need a Wheel alignment after all those items are installed...
Old 02-23-06, 09:41 PM
csq860
Pole Position

Thanks for the advice speedie, anyone else have any thoughts on the matter? Please chime in.