Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Update on Rear Brembo Install.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-05, 01:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Update on Rear Brembo Install.

Well my neigbor and i just got done a few hours ago and man what a quick install... We did everything in the previous thread that you guys mentioned to do except i have one quick question...

On installing the EBC pads we left off the plastic shim and only used the metal type plate on the pad because the EBC pad already has a biult in shim... IS this correct...... It was squeaking at first which i read is normal for the brake in process... The pads have a coating on the pad called Brake In.. so it will bed in the brakes...

Than my neigbor took the car out and tested the brakes and said they were fine except there was a slight tick he said coming from the rear.... He doubled checked the bracket and he said everything was fine.. I think he pushed on it with a screw driver on each side to make sure it was secure.. Than i left and drove around for bit and really didn't notice any more squeaking and ticking.... I think the brakes just have to get worn in... I'll give a update in a few days....

My neigbor said just drive it for a few days and see what happens....

Tony
Old 12-05-05, 06:59 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Well guys I'm really stupid today.. I beleive the noise I'm hearing in the rear is a tire noise why? Because i installed the rear wheels on oppsite sides....meaning the left directional tire is on the right side and vice versa.... thats the noise I'm pretty sure I'm hearing...I was so excited today that i installed the rear wheels wrong... What a dumb ***. Anyway my brakes work great and they stop much better than the stock setup.... now i pretty much have a match brake set

Tony
Old 12-07-05, 05:16 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Well guys I'm really stupid today.. I beleive the noise I'm hearing in the rear is a tire noise why? Because i installed the rear wheels on oppsite sides....meaning the left directional tire is on the right side and vice versa.... thats the noise I'm pretty sure I'm hearing...I was so excited today that i installed the rear wheels wrong... What a dumb ***. Anyway my brakes work great and they stop much better than the stock setup.... now i pretty much have a match brake set

Tony
That's funny. Glad that was the problem. What size rotor front and rear?
Old 12-07-05, 07:45 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by redgs4
That's funny. Glad that was the problem. What size rotor front and rear?
well i still don't think that was the fix I only hear a slight noise of somesort when i put my ear out the window... Its a very slight faded tick sort a sound.... It happens just when normal driving at higher speeds... Maybe i had this before and never paid attention to noises of the car?
I have to say that the brakes work great no noises or squeaks Car is even better with the new wheels

Tony
Old 12-08-05, 04:26 AM
bazop
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello- I don't know if this will help or not, but last month I just replaced front and rears rotors/pads. The fronts were fine, but when I got done with the rears, I was getting a constant rubbing noise that would only stop when I applied the brakes. The only thing I could guess was that when the brakes were not applied, somehow the pads were still rubbing the rotors making noises- not really squeaking, but a constant "swishing metal on metal" type of noise. Kind of hard to describe. Anyway, I thought it may have been because I didn't use any of the brake grease, so I took everything apart, greased everything up, but still noise. So what I finally did was order a set of new rear shims and the fitment springs from lexus-parts.com (I think they were like 60 bucks) and redid everything and that seemed to work, no more noise from the rear. For whatever reason, that spring that keeps the rear pads apart must lose strength over time and need to be replaced. Why lexus just didn't do the rear setup the same as the front, I don't know. Would've made it easier to just pop the pads in the brackets rather than screwing with those damn shims and springs.
Old 12-08-05, 05:42 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by bazop
Hello- I don't know if this will help or not, but last month I just replaced front and rears rotors/pads. The fronts were fine, but when I got done with the rears, I was getting a constant rubbing noise that would only stop when I applied the brakes. The only thing I could guess was that when the brakes were not applied, somehow the pads were still rubbing the rotors making noises- not really squeaking, but a constant "swishing metal on metal" type of noise. Kind of hard to describe. Anyway, I thought it may have been because I didn't use any of the brake grease, so I took everything apart, greased everything up, but still noise. So what I finally did was order a set of new rear shims and the fitment springs from lexus-parts.com (I think they were like 60 bucks) and redid everything and that seemed to work, no more noise from the rear. For whatever reason, that spring that keeps the rear pads apart must lose strength over time and need to be replaced. Why lexus just didn't do the rear setup the same as the front, I don't know. Would've made it easier to just pop the pads in the brackets rather than screwing with those damn shims and springs.
Well thanks for the reply....... My EBC pads have a built in shim so i don't have the stock ones on.. I did however install the metal plate on the new pads but took that off the next day thinking that was the problem Where is the fitment spring located. Have any pics? and can you install it yourself? Your right its like alomost a constant metal on metal type of sound and the brakes aren't even applied i mean its not even loud.. I have to put my ear out the window and focus on that noise in order to hear it. Thanks bro

Tony
Old 12-08-05, 06:25 AM
bazop
Rookie

sorry if i'm not using the right terms to describe everything- I'm definitely not a mechanic, what i meant by fitment spring was after you put the pads in the caliper, you have to put the spring (or maybe its called a clip) back on- it sort of snaps on top of the pads. If you search, someone has the pdf for the rear brakes posted somewhere- maybe that will make it more clear in what i'm trying to describe. Sorry i don't have any pics. Good luck.
Old 12-08-05, 09:57 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by bazop
sorry if i'm not using the right terms to describe everything- I'm definitely not a mechanic, what i meant by fitment spring was after you put the pads in the caliper, you have to put the spring (or maybe its called a clip) back on- it sort of snaps on top of the pads. If you search, someone has the pdf for the rear brakes posted somewhere- maybe that will make it more clear in what i'm trying to describe. Sorry i don't have any pics. Good luck.
Well i'm pretty sure the clips are on properly.. I mean there's only really one way to put them on.... I'll see what happens in the days to come when driving the car.... I'm not driving until Sat. because the front tires need balancing bad Maybe the pads just need to break in.... The clips are on there just as they were before we took them off.... Thanks for the replies... Keep me posted..

Tony
Old 12-13-05, 10:45 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked your tires for anything caught in the tread? I get small rocks and other crap caught in the tread on a regular basis and they cause a ticking sound as they hit the pavement.
Old 06-06-08, 04:44 PM
tommyjaix
Lead Lap

hey my bads for bringing this thread bak from the dead but I just replaced my front and rear rotors today with new pads (slotted blank brembo rotors with akebono proact pads) and I hear a very loud metal to metal clicking, swooshing noise while I'm driving, regardless of the speed however it does become less noticeable in higher speeds but that can be just the increased wind noise.

I hear rubbing noises when I turn my front wheels while my car is raised but seems like the louder metal to metal clicking noise is coming from the rear while I'm driving or mayb theres noise coming from all 4 wheels but just louder coming from the rear wheels or wheel
Old 06-08-08, 03:23 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Check those fitment clips and the brake dust shields... It took me forever to figure out what it was and it was a simple fix.. GL...