Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TOM`s LCB install - a mess!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-05, 10:54 PM
Lvangundy

Default TOM`s LCB install - a mess!

Ok, so the TOM`s front LCB is NOT designed for the 400/430 GS models. The center support weld hits the transmission. I found this out after it had bolted on and got a lot of vibration.

Someone here had used washers to space it out and I tried doing that with 1 on each 14mm bolt, but the bibration is still there. I'm going to try 2 washers tomorrow and hope that works.

Eek...

Any other solutions?
Old 07-26-05, 11:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i thought that's the case for most people, putting washers help to solve it
Old 07-27-05, 12:09 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you post any pics of where it hits and where washers are required?
Old 07-27-05, 12:21 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Nor Cal shop that installs most of our Toms has stocked up on a ton of washers. This is pretty much standard procedure.

I believe he does use two per side.
Old 07-27-05, 05:04 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

about the toms front brace , yes it does and 95% time will just touch the tranny but doing spacers is not what i did , the whole purpose of this brace is to establish solid base or mounting points , by adding spacers you are reducing its effectiveness quite abit for you are moving the mounting position outward , what i did was use the end of a socket extention bar like a 3/8 size , i marked exactly where was touching and used this bar and made alittle divot or curvature at those points just enough maybe the size of 2 or 3 sheets of paper so it would not touch the bolts/nuts from the tranny whereby it transfer the vibration from the tranny up through the floorboards

jusy my 2 cents worth
Old 07-27-05, 06:05 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Toms front LCB did not interfere with the transmission on my 2004 GS430. It was strictly a 'bolt-it-on' change from the OEM brace.

Now the Toms rear LCB is another situation and I needed to use a washer between the brace ( by-the-way I got the full rear brace since I have the Carson Tuned Exhaust, which is similar to the Toms exhaust ) and chassis to leave some room between the rear part of the brace and the exhaust . Again no problems with the front part of the full rear brace, but needed to get a slight amount of clearance in order not to rub the exhaust in the rear part of the brace.
Old 07-27-05, 02:33 PM
Lvangundy

OK so here are some options to make the TOMs front LCB fit on the 2001-? GS430.

-Washers ("spacers") - 12x 12mm washers and 4x 9/16" washers for 17mm bolts. 2 for each mount point, 1 washer is not enough This gives enough clearance so that the brace does not hit the transmission. The bad part to this method is that the washers don't spread the load as evenly. If the washer circumfrence is bigger than the mount point, this could collapse or bend. Also, the stock bolts should be replaced with longer bolts to cover the lost thread from the spacer thickness.

-Filing or notching where the transmission hits the bar. This could work too if washers were not used, except the structural integrity is reduced on the center support weld. The bars are hollow too.

-Cutting and rewelding the center bar. The center bar could be pushed back 1/2" but would of course, require cutting, welding and powder coating. I'd prefer this method personally, but I'm too impatient.

-Use the TRD brace instead.
Old 07-28-05, 12:09 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Does everyone have this problem with Tom's Front LCB? This seems to be a big problem This is supposed to be a direct swap i thought for the stock brace... Need some input on this LCB install and if everyone else had to modify there's? Thanks

T
Old 07-28-05, 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

well i know of couple of guys in gs400 with the problem.

the toms brace was never made directly for the gs400/430. it's made for the gs s300 and v300 in japan. the brace fit on those cars no problem i guess
Old 07-28-05, 03:40 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeeLex
The Toms front LCB did not interfere with the transmission on my 2004 GS430. It was strictly a 'bolt-it-on' change from the OEM brace.

Now the Toms rear LCB is another situation and I needed to use a washer between the brace ( by-the-way I got the full rear brace since I have the Carson Tuned Exhaust, which is similar to the Toms exhaust ) and chassis to leave some room between the rear part of the brace and the exhaust . Again no problems with the front part of the full rear brace, but needed to get a slight amount of clearance in order not to rub the exhaust in the rear part of the brace.
For the front brace I used spacers. I have heard of others, not just TeeLex, that have been able to install without spacers.

The rear closed-LCB clears my Tom's exhaust as expected. Buy I'm very surprised to hear that it does not clear the carson tuned as the center sections for the both exhausts are identical. Was it hitting the final muffler section?