Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

front suspension vibrates

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-05, 12:57 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front suspension vibrates

my front wheels vibrate alot at around 60-70mph, it doesnt do it all the time, or at least not as bad sometimes. i did alignment and changed caliber because dealer said that frozen caliber was causing it to vibrate, i balanced the wheels too.. but the vibrating is still noticeable, anyone ever had this problem.
Old 06-18-05, 07:56 AM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Its a very common problem with these cars. I almost sold my car because of it.

I thought mine was because of the 20s and because I had them balanced more than once and they still vibrated I thought I was stuck.
Then I had the road force balanced by my friend at discount tire and the car drives like a dream now.I'm going on 3 months with no vibration.
Give it a try.
Old 06-18-05, 09:31 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Have your balljoints checked as well. that could cause the problem.
Old 06-18-05, 09:45 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

thanx. i thought it might be a balance issue thats why i even switched back to my factories, and it still vibrates, some times it feels like wheel is about to fall off, and sometimes u barely feel it vibrate , always around 60-70 no vibration after 90mph though.
Old 06-18-05, 02:41 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HKS_GS430
thanx. i thought it might be a balance issue thats why i even switched back to my factories, and it still vibrates, some times it feels like wheel is about to fall off, and sometimes u barely feel it vibrate , always around 60-70 no vibration after 90mph though.
Yup, mine was from about 50-65 above that and it went away.I just tried to cruise above 70 and not worry about it.
Old 06-18-05, 03:03 PM
liquidsilver
Driver

Hey, I had the exact same issue as well and I just hated it. I'm sorry that I can't tell you exact answer to your vibration issue but I can tell u this.........I've purchased the L-tuned OZ wheel plus Michilin PS tires and the virbrations are gone now. It could be ur rim that's bent or ur tires thats messed up.
Old 06-18-05, 03:04 PM
LMSguy
Pole Position

Either way the road force balance will tell you if the rim is bent.
Old 06-18-05, 03:43 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

its not bent rim, i changed to factories just to make sure that it wasnt the rim size that was throwing the suspension off, i do have fat tire set up, but even with the factories the same problem occurs, i have changed just about everything and this dam vibration is killing me. it cant be rims because it doesnt vibrate all the time, has to be somewhere in the suspension,

Last edited by HKS_GS430; 06-18-05 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-19-05, 03:59 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 3 guesses

-steering pretensioner
-ball joints
-worn/torn supension bushings
Old 06-19-05, 05:09 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just fixed this exact problem with my 01 430 today. Had a vibration between 60-67 or so. I bought the car a couple of weeks ago, and when I had it checked, the guy told me that the lower ball joints were shot. I got the parts from Darrell at Sewell Lexus, and installed them today following the DIY I found on this forum. Drove her all the way home at 63 just because I could do it without the VIB. I can't promise that this is your problem, but I would bet that's what it is. BTW the hardest part of the install is getting the bolts off. I go tomorrow for the road force balance, and a four wheel alignment.
Anybody have the exact torque for the bolts in this project?

Good Luck
-Andy
Old 06-19-05, 06:00 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

okay guys back from nyc tonight , on a side note , i have seen some destroyed looking gs up there this weekend

anyway back on topic

heres my take, the lower control arm bushing i feel is the culprit. balancing and alignment have little to do with it imo for its a issue that comes and goes , balancing and alignment would give you a constant

i believe the lower control bushing causes this vibration and shimmy on and off depending on road surface and if you went in a rutt in the road or ripple whereby you change just ever so slightly the angle of deflection whereby changing camber will in motion then affecting castor as well

bmw e32 and e34 series we had the same issues but we called them thrust arm bushings and no matter how often i changed them the vibrations would go away for about 6 months then the bushing would start to fail again , the problem really never got fixed until we used the thrust arm bushing out of the much heavier 750il and that became a permanant fix

so basically what i am saying is our bushing get put under tremendous stress after 30-50k miles they are almost shot in terms of absorbing road shock and road variations and doing their jobs

i will be changing my arms in the next 2 weeks for i was waiting on the daizan bushing to press in but i guess the new arm should have a better or harder durameter bushing in there now

to date i have changed castor arms , outside tie rods ends , ball joints have perfect balance perfect alignment with neg camber well within spec and although most of the time i am vibration free sometimes i get it depending on road surface and we all know that our car reaches harmonics at approx 62 mph and it transends itself down through the arms through the bushings

sorry for being so long winded but this is my opinion
Old 06-20-05, 12:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

a lot of potential cause

1) steering wheel presentioner
2) worn bushings
3) wheels not balanced well

for me 1 was the cuase. and now 2 is my cause. for 3, it's till possible, unless the shop knows what they are doing and have the right equipment. i attended some lecture this past weekend on alignment and wheels, and i learned about how a wheels could be balanced all perfect on spec and computer, but you still feel the vibration
Old 06-20-05, 01:33 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

would dealer cover this under warranty
Old 06-20-05, 01:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

would dealer cover this under warranty
umm, if they found the problem, i think they should
Old 06-20-05, 09:36 AM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

i hate this vibration, sometimes it feels like wheel is going to pop off. only at 65-70 mph, i can either drive a lil slow on the highway or a lil fast cant even go the speed limit,,gosh

Quick Reply: front suspension vibrates