Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

question for all edfc owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-05, 05:06 AM
GSing430
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default question for all edfc owners

for those that have a edfc install w/ any tein setup but particularly the Flex. i'm not quite sure if it's the edfc or the Flex but after a day of driving, my edfc would rotate and the would twist, getting itself all wrap up around the edfc. has anyone experience this. first, it only did it was the driver side and a couple of months after, the passenger side.
Old 05-27-05, 09:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by GSing430
for those that have a edfc install w/ any tein setup but particularly the Flex. i'm not quite sure if it's the edfc or the Flex but after a day of driving, my edfc would rotate and the would twist, getting itself all wrap up around the edfc. has anyone experience this. first, it only did it was the driver side and a couple of months after, the passenger side.
are you supposed to put lock tight when putting the motor on?
Old 05-27-05, 09:55 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my edfc would rotate and the would twist, getting itself all wrap up around the edfc
The what would twist? I assume wiring? The motor should not move at all. There should have been loctite in the box that you should use.
Old 05-27-05, 10:59 AM
GSing430
Racer

i think it's more of the flex, and yes neo, the wire twist/ in loops around/ at the connecting point. the edfc is tightly secure onto the flex but i see that the ball joint that you see under the pillow mount (chrome looking thing) can be turned clockwise or counterclockwise.
Old 05-28-05, 06:02 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The Flex will have that problem, as the upper mount is a bearing that is free turning, so it does not index at any one position. There really isn't any way to stop it other than putting something that will block the motor from turning.

The CS do not have a free turning mount, so those will not have that problem, nor will the HA, Basic or Super Street

TM Engineering
Old 05-29-05, 10:50 AM
GSing430
Racer

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh
The Flex will have that problem, as the upper mount is a bearing that is free turning, so it does not index at any one position. There really isn't any way to stop it other than putting something that will block the motor from turning.

The CS do not have a free turning mount, so those will not have that problem, nor will the HA, Basic or Super Street

TM Engineering

that really sucks, cause i'm afraid that when it get to the point where the 3 wires connected to the edfc will pull apart from the source.
Old 05-29-05, 12:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

wow, awesome info todd, never knew about that before

umm, sounds like the flex is "problematic"
Old 05-29-05, 07:26 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, that is where you might have some problem as the wires will get weak there. You won't see it either, as the damage will usually be inside the insulation.

Just make a small bracket that comes off of one of the bolts on the strut tower, and that should solve it.
Old 05-29-05, 08:01 PM
Neo
The One

I like what Glen did with his wiring. It is basically what Todd suggested where you add a "bracket" to hold down the wire:

Old 05-29-05, 08:41 PM
GSing430
Racer

i don't see the "bracket" that holds down edfc
Old 05-29-05, 09:12 PM
Neo
The One

i don't see the "bracket" that holds down edfc
Sorry. Glen only has something holding down the wire. If the whole flex unit rotates with a lot of force, then this would not be a good solution.

I did not see this problem in the short time when I had the Flex. Maybe the UGO STB kept it from rotating. This is a pic of DrewGS4's car but I had the same setup.

Maybe the new DSR STB would help.
Old 05-29-05, 09:45 PM
GSing430
Racer

yeah, i was hoping that the DSR will help, all i have to do is wait til it comes in.........it's been over a month now
Old 05-30-05, 10:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
umm, sounds like the flex is "problematic"
And this would be funny why? Or are you just gloating because you have CS I believe?

But anyway, GSing430 - I'm not clear on your concern - after a year of having the EDFC units on my flex I have no problems at all.
Old 05-30-05, 10:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by DoubleWhoosh

TM Engineering
If that's true, how does the EDFC ever index at all on the Flex?
Old 05-30-05, 04:52 PM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry, I wasn't clear I guess, I meant to make a bracket that keeps the EDFC motor from turning, not anything to do with holding the wire.

On the FLEX, the shaft just spins freely (somewhat freely at least) inside the shock body (of course, as this is how all shocks are). The upper mount has a bearing that the shaft goes through, which also spins freely for the most part, (since it is indeed a bearing). The shaft is bolted to this with a nut on the end, along with maybe a small steel bushing or spacer or two, but in all actuality it never is indexed in relation to the upper mount. If the upper mount bearing is new, it will be a little stiffer, but over time there will be more and more clearance in the body, and the bearing will become looser and looser. Not a bad thing until there is actually measurable or audible play (a typical example is a bad ball joint). Only thing is the shaft may rotate (relative to its position with the car/upper mount). This affects nothing, until you bring something like the EDFC motor into play. Now you have something that really shouldn't be turning all about because it has a wire attached to it! There isn't a whole lot of tension when it spins though, relate it to something on a table top and when you pound on it, it can slowly make its way towards the edge of the table.

Hopefully this helps!

Last edited by DoubleWhoosh; 05-30-05 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: question for all edfc owners