Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Strut Tower spacer/washer

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-05, 11:51 AM
JKAG
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strut Tower spacer/washer

The reinforcing ring on top ot the strut tower under the nuts.

Used as a spacer to raise the strut tower brace to clear the intake manifold.

Lexus part 53723-24010........$28 (dealer)

Toyota part 53723-24012........$13 (elmhurst)

Got a generic STB off ebay and it cleared the intake manifold by about 1/8". Added a set of the above for more clearance. Now I will add one more to the passenger side for more clearance over the IC piping.

Last edited by JKAG; 03-09-05 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-09-05, 12:38 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i added those to mine's as well. according to some, i was suppose to use two extra spacers on top of the stock one already there. but i found if i did that, i wouldn't have enough stud thread to tighten the nut down. so i only used one extra on each side and took off the L emblem on the V8. Fits like a charm. didn't need the extra set.
Old 03-09-05, 01:46 PM
inovashn
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

nice job and good post. i used regular washers works great painted them black but i'll probally be picking up a couple of those also
Old 02-07-18, 05:27 PM
CoOl21
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so, how does this work? add 2 pieces of OEM reinforcement plates on each side so that the TRD strut bar can clear the intake manifold?
Old 02-07-18, 05:37 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

So other than it looks cool, what other purpose does the strut tower brace serve on these cars?
Old 02-07-18, 05:56 PM
CoOl21
Driver

Originally Posted by RXRodger
So other than it looks cool, what other purpose does the strut tower brace serve on these cars?
To give the strut mounts more support and stiffness?
Old 02-07-18, 06:02 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by CoOl21
To give the strut mounts more support and stiffness?
These cars are not McPherson strut. Draw a free body diagram of the suspension forces, it will become evident that the forces through the strut tower are not that great as compared with a McPherson strut car. But, maybe I am missing something. I have been racing these cars on road courses for a couple of years and have yet to see a reason to install a brace like I did on the BMW.
Old 02-07-18, 08:50 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRodger
These cars are not McPherson strut. Draw a free body diagram of the suspension forces, it will become evident that the forces through the strut tower are not that great as compared with a McPherson strut car. But, maybe I am missing something. I have been racing these cars on road courses for a couple of years and have yet to see a reason to install a brace like I did on the BMW.
I haven't heard anyone mention a free body diagram since I took physics my freshman year in college. lol

Our cars are pretty rigid, so strut tower bars don't help as much. When I was still fixing up Hondas the chassis flexed a lot more, so the strut tower bars that tied into multiple points on the chassis (firewall or UCA bolts) helped a lot.

The Carbing stb comes with a master cylinder brace. I think that's a cool feature to have.
Old 02-09-18, 04:01 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I haven't heard anyone mention a free body diagram since I took physics my freshman year in college. lol

Our cars are pretty rigid, so strut tower bars don't help as much. When I was still fixing up Hondas the chassis flexed a lot more, so the strut tower bars that tied into multiple points on the chassis (firewall or UCA bolts) helped a lot.

The Carbing stb comes with a master cylinder brace. I think that's a cool feature to have.
Yeah, I pulled that one from way back. Point is, the forces that would go through the strut tower of, say a Honda with MS, would go through the upper control arm into the subframe on a double wishbone suspension like the SC. The strut tower is mostly seeing a force parallel to the axis of the strut, so a brace would not see a lot of horizontal force. At least that's the way I see it.
Old 02-09-18, 08:59 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It does as lots of people have said it affects the handling of the car.
As you said the force is mostly parallel to the shock, but you have to factor in that the strut towers have an angle towards each other and are not parallel with the ground, so while most of the forces would be going up and down, a small percentage of the force would be applied on the horizontal axis. Its not much but its enough to get a slight flex and the bar helps with that.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-09-18 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-09-18, 08:26 PM
CoOl21
Driver

So, do we know how many OEM spacers one would need to make the TRD STB work for the SC400?