Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New guy need advice....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-01, 03:25 PM
Evo_IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hey all, first of all I like to say this is a great website with lost of info, however, I just my IS two month ago and already planning to do all kinds of stuff to it.
Anyways, more important thing for me right now is to find the right coil-over system and sway bar. Like to know those who have Tein HA And CS think about it and those with Sway bar, please give me some inputs.
Oh, has anyone got the front and rear suspension brace from TRD or Tom's? Thank all..
A confused new guy... lol :eek:
Old 05-15-01, 04:00 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Evo_IS
Hey all, first of all I like to say this is a great website with lost of info, however, I just my IS two month ago and already planning to do all kinds of stuff to it.
Anyways, more important thing for me right now is to find the right coil-over system and sway bar. Like to know those who have Tein HA And CS think about it and those with Sway bar, please give me some inputs.
Oh, has anyone got the front and rear suspension brace from TRD or Tom's? Thank all..
A confused new guy... lol :eek:
it depends on what you want? how harsh of a ride can you take for performance? if you want stock comfort but somewhat stiffer suspension, got with the CS. if you want a little stiffer for tighter handling, go with HA, and so on. as for sway bars, from what i've heard, they are a world of difference! if you dont get enough answers here, check out IS300.net for more info. take care
Old 05-15-01, 05:59 PM
Risk3233
Driver

There's a bunch of coilover systems currently on the market, or about to hit.

The Tein's have been around the longest and probably have the most driving history on IS cars. Check out IS300.net. I know H&R just released some COs, HKS, Zeal, GAB, Apex-i all have COs.

As for the sway bars, I currently have the TRD race sway bars on the car along w/the stock springs/shocks and they do make a lot of difference in the ride. You can take corners faster and carry higher entry and exit speeds. The car does not lean as much during high speed directional changes (i.e. lane changes). I recommend them as the first mod on an IS. W/o the sway bars, the OEM setup has too much body lean.

BTW, I'm installing TRD ajd. shocks and Eibach Pro Kit springs to complete my suspension mods.

I may also consider a strut bar when they become readily available for the US spec IS 300 because most of the Altezza/IS 200 strut bars don't fit.

IMO most of the chasis reinforcing bars are unnecessary on street going cars. They would mostly benefit cars on the track.
Old 05-15-01, 07:17 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

In my opinion, I wouldnt get the CS's. They keep your ride pretty close to stock. I mean there called the Comfort Spec. I dont want a coilover with the word comfort in it They are more expensive than the HA's and the HA's will handle better. I wouldnt want to pay a couple grand for a minor change from stock, when I could pay less and handle better. But I guess it depends on what your looking for

I have the CUSCO sway bars and they are awesome. I could definily feel the difference. Ive read about a lot of people with the TRD sways and ive heard nothing but good things. You couldnt go wrong with either of them.

Old 05-15-01, 10:40 PM
Evo_IS
Driver School Candidate

Talking THANKS!!

Thankx guys, now it makes more sense to go with the Tein HA. AS for sway bar goes, I guess I'll just see which one I can get my hands on first. Oh, Black_IS300 can you tell me where you got the CUSCO ones? And where can I find TRD Sway bar in LA? Been asking around and not many people carry TRD or CUSCO. Just don't tell me to get it at the Dealer..
Yeah, I used to have a 96 Accord before I traded it in for the IS... Got Sway bars, front and rear strut bars, and Eibach pro-kit knoi shocks... U know the whole works...
So thanx again for replying guys....
Old 05-15-01, 11:12 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for trd and cusco, call STEVE GANZ( aka SUPRATRD on this board) at carson toyota, he is our man for trd stuff.
Old 05-16-01, 03:26 AM
Bruce
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,
FYI; Speaking of CUSCO, they have recently released their ALTEEZA/IS300 adjustable coilover suspension set which I saw about 2 weeks ago here in the US. Very Nice! They also were equipped with adjustable camber upper pillowball mounts. CUSCO in Japan has had a reputation for high quality suspension products, but I've yet to feel these particular ones.
Attached Thumbnails New guy need advice....-supra-shocks.jpg  
Old 05-16-01, 09:10 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Default Re: THANKS!!

...Black_IS300 can you tell me where you got the CUSCO ones?...
I got them at area 51. They can get pretty much anything from japan.