Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

jack locations? plese help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-04, 09:39 PM
mrverdes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jack locations? plese help

i just need some help, where are the jack loctions for the gs? rear and front? i have no idea? please help. i did a search but didnt help, tahnx
Old 12-23-04, 10:45 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on how much you want to lift and how far in you can get the jack, you can use the tow hook or the crossmember in the front and the differential in the rear.
Old 12-24-04, 05:32 AM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah dont be a fool and do what I did and attack the car from the door side like i did

unless you are stock height, the jack wont go under much (if at all) and you will end up placing a huge lump in the driver side floor board like I did

finally after 3 mos it went back into shape
Old 12-25-04, 08:06 PM
elclassico
Lead Lap

i just used the locations at the pinch weld, no problems? didnt even smash it the way i place the plate. id ask on CL b4 u go and cause any damage.

Last edited by elclassico; 12-25-04 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-25-04, 08:11 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

I'm lowered with Eibach/Bilsteins. I have a floor jack that barely fits. What I do is place two 2x4s on the floor and roll the front tire over them. Then I stick the jack ALL THE WAY in (about 16" or so?????) and get the big frame (?????). It's a piece of metal that has holes in it.....not sure what it is, but it looks solid enough.

However this large frame doesn't go all the way back, so I have no idea how to lift the rear properly. Any ideas?

It would be great if someone has an underbody shot of their GS. This way, someone can point out the proper jack points (and I don't mean those cheezy tabs behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels).
Old 12-26-04, 12:40 AM
Lyrical
Lead Lap

i used to be confused with this as well...didn't know where to start jacking when i had to rotate my tires....

if you look at the manual, it does a pretty good job at explaining it....

good luck
Old 12-27-04, 03:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm... per user manual (or i read somewhere), the stock jack point is right behind the front wheel well and right in front of the rear wheel well.

if you use your hand to feel, you will feel the area where there is a metal slice vetically along the bottom of the door (a bit inside). that's the jack point. i have been jacking up the car from those points, never problems

even when i got o mechanics taht's where they jack up the car too
Old 12-27-04, 08:43 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Rom, those jack points suck. Those metal tabs suck. When I use my floor jack, they tend to bend those tabs. I'm afraid that if I bend them enough, one day when I get a flat in the middle of nowhere and have to use the OEM jack, it won't be stable without those tabs.

Ok, new question......obviously, everyone knows where the OEM jack points are (behind front wheels & in front of rear wheels........there's a metal tab there)......BUT what about using a FLOOR JACK?

Is there a place where I can jack BOTH front tires off the ground at the same time? Or the rear? If not, where's the STRONGEST place under the car? I think I can go in as much as 18 inches.
Old 12-27-04, 10:17 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by Cadd
Is there a place where I can jack BOTH front tires off the ground at the same time? Or the rear? If not, where's the STRONGEST place under the car? I think I can go in as much as 18 inches.
Did you see my post above?

Use the crossmember in the front and the differential in the rear.
Old 12-27-04, 10:37 AM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Yup saw your post Neo. However, I'm still not sure where the crossmember is located. Are they those long rails (size of a 2x4) that run from the front to the rear of the car?

Next time my car is in the air, I'll try to get an undercarriage shot of it. This way, maybe you can help point out the exact location for me.
Old 12-27-04, 10:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Rom, those jack points suck. Those metal tabs suck. When I use my floor jack, they tend to bend those tabs. I'm afraid that if I bend them enough, one day when I get a flat in the middle of nowhere and have to use the OEM jack, it won't be stable without those tabs.

Ok, new question......obviously, everyone knows where the OEM jack points are (behind front wheels & in front of rear wheels........there's a metal tab there)......BUT what about using a FLOOR JACK?

yup those tabs bent, but it's ok. right above the metal tab that's the body frame and it's stiff as hell. on my gs4, those vertical tabs are all bent up already from all the jacking, but it's still good
Old 12-27-04, 11:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yup saw your post Neo. However, I'm still not sure where the crossmember is located. Are they those long rails (size of a 2x4) that run from the front to the rear of the car?

Next time my car is in the air, I'll try to get an undercarriage shot of it. This way, maybe you can help point out the exact location for me.
it's hard to explain where the cross member is in the front, if neo and i are talking about the same area, it's right behind the front suspension, it's a pretty big metal

from teh rear, how about just jack up the car from the differential? that's cast iron, strong as hell
Old 12-27-04, 05:53 PM
Neo
The One

Here is a pic of the SC but you should get the idea.

Old 12-27-04, 06:04 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Ahhhhhhh, I see. you're the man!

So basically, you can lift both front wheels off the ground at the same time. And that crossmember is able to support all the weight w/o any problems right?
Old 12-27-04, 07:40 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, as long as you apply the jack at the right point, you can lift up the whole front/rear

Quick Reply: jack locations? plese help