Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help with Daizen sways

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-04, 08:01 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with Daizen sways

After reading thru a bunch of Daizen posts, I gave up and figured I'd ask the question directly. I've already talked to our local resident expert, VVt-i, but he thought I should probably ask here to be sure.

I have the Daizen sways. I've had them for over a year. When I initially had VVt-i put them on, I had 18x7.5 all the way around. We, at Daizen's advice, put the rear in it's "middle" setting. I vaguely remember that when I spoke to Daizen they asked me specifically if I had a staggered wheel setup. I can only assume that would change their answer to me as to what "setting" to use in the rears. I also have to assume that since I didn't have a staggered setup before, that is why they told me to put it on the middle one.

With all that background said, I have stepped up to a staggered setup a few months back. I also had the TRD LSD done too. Well, I have noticed that when I push the envelope to the edge......the rear likes to step out and get squirly. I REALLY don't like that. It feels like it's about to step out and cause me some serious problems. It only does this when I really push it. It didn't fell like that before when I first installed them and went to the Dragon back in 2003. I felt truly planted and no squirrels.

Here's my questions:

-Do yall think that it's squirly now because it's in the wrong setting for a staggered setup vs non-staggered before?

-Is it loose now because the combo of the LSD and much much bigger rear tires (i.e. more rubber) grip better vs the non-staggered setup before?

-Is it that I have to set the rear sways to a more aggressive setting to take advantage of the additional grip?

I have a good friend that is sponsored by Daizen and she is trying to help me contact them. So far no luck there. I am hoping someone on here has either the answer or changed their settings on the rear sways to be able to guide me in the right direction. I want my car to feel planted again. It really gets scary when you are taking sweepers at Mach1 and the rear starts to get loose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Peanut gallery, please don't tell me, "Easy. Don't go that fast". Wife already beat yall to it........
Old 10-06-04, 10:09 AM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is a search on Daizen + sways + setting -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...by=&sortorder=

Most people are saying that Daizen recommended the stiffest setting for staggered setups.

Probably the reason you're getting "squirly". It may not take care of it completely, but would probably help a lot. You have SO much power compared to us regular GS guys! I'd be gettin squirly too!
Old 10-06-04, 10:28 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just in case the settings do not help, the fix would be to spend more $.

When I had my TRD sways on, i had the same problem that you have. Once I put on the Tom's rear LCB, it went away. The TRD sways were not adjustable so I could not try different settings. Other than taking them off, I had to go with an "external" solution. Some have had similar results with the Tom's 6-link. One problem with the 6-link is that one of the links can interfere (clearance-wise) with your exhaust. (It does with my RMM.)

Even though I have the Daizen sways now, I already had the LCB on when I swapped sways. I can't remember if I had the 6-link on already when I did the swap. With the Tom's parts on, I have no squirrels.

Good luck.
Old 10-06-04, 10:51 AM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys. I had a feeling that was part of my issue.

As for power......too much is never enough.....

Neo: Where can I find out any more info about the Tom's LCB? and Where to get them?

With the staggered setup and LSD, the car feels much better at lower speeds. It's just the high speed stuff that has me a little concerned.
Old 10-06-04, 11:38 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
Thanks guys. I had a feeling that was part of my issue.

As for power......too much is never enough.....

Neo: Where can I find out any more info about the Tom's LCB? and Where to get them?

With the staggered setup and LSD, the car feels much better at lower speeds. It's just the high speed stuff that has me a little concerned.
Aa always, contact Steve Ganz. You can also PM lexforlife. He pushes his car quite hard too and he has Daizen sways and added the Tom's components afterwards. There is also the Tom's website but it's in Japanese.

There are a whole bunch of discussions here on CL too. I'm on my way out or else I'd help you out with a search.
Old 10-06-04, 12:58 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,143 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Jaime,

I should let you drive my GS - I've got all the bottom end braces and no hint of squirrels.

BTW - I've also been trying to get in touch with DST for the last month with no response from PMs and emails; I am beginning to suspect that Fortune (owner of DST) was impacted by the hurricane in FL.
Old 10-06-04, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i had staggered setup, on flex, and todd of tmengineering set the sways to medium for me, he said it's easier to drive. i felt the loose feel in the back.

when i had the tein cs put in he said let's put it on stiffest coz' now the cs is softer. still about the same feeling but the rear is definitely more solid.

now i have lsd and the tom's rear brace, the rear is very solid. it holds all the time, and even when it starts to slides, it's very predictable
Old 10-06-04, 04:43 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jamie it sounds like you get the squirlly feel when cornering, if so could it be the LSD causing the feeling. I know I get the feel that the rear wants to come around and it is definitley because of the LSD
Old 10-06-04, 08:34 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DaveGS4
Jaime,

I should let you drive my GS - I've got all the bottom end braces and no hint of squirrels.

BTW - I've also been trying to get in touch with DST for the last month with no response from PMs and emails; I am beginning to suspect that Fortune (owner of DST) was impacted by the hurricane in FL.
I was gonna get you to give me a ride at NOPI and forgot to.
Old 10-06-04, 08:36 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
i had staggered setup, on flex, and todd of tmengineering set the sways to medium for me, he said it's easier to drive. i felt the loose feel in the back.

when i had the tein cs put in he said let's put it on stiffest coz' now the cs is softer. still about the same feeling but the rear is definitely more solid.

now i have lsd and the tom's rear brace, the rear is very solid. it holds all the time, and even when it starts to slides, it's very predictable
I'm gonna change it to the stiffest setting on Friday and see if that helps. Sounds like I need to check into the Tom's rear brace. I'll try and contact Steve to find out about it.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-06-04, 08:47 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by morris
jamie it sounds like you get the squirlly feel when cornering, if so could it be the LSD causing the feeling. I know I get the feel that the rear wants to come around and it is definitley because of the LSD
Nah, it's not that kind of feeling. It's like the front end is planted and the rear is all loosy goosy. Ask Sam, he saw it first hand from behind the other day when we were playing on the way home. I had to back out of it to let it get back in shape. Sam thought I was gonna loose it. It's happened to me before, so I was ready. I still hate that feeling though. The first time it happened, it had a pucker factor of about 1000.

I'm gonna fix it one way or another.
Old 10-06-04, 08:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,392 Posts

Jaime - I have the Tom's rear LCB (and rear STB of course). My car's not got your power, but you're welcome to try it out, maybe on Sunday if you want. We can do donuts at the Lexus event.

On a more serious note - the serious ICE in your trunk may be a factor too.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-06-04 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 09:04 PM
jmecbr900
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Jaime - I have the Tom's rear LCB (and rear STB of course). My car's not got your power, but you're welcome to try it out, maybe on Sunday if you want. We can do donuts at the Lexus event.

On a more serious note - the serious ICE in your trunk may be a factor too.
I'm not so sure because it was there before and it didn't feel the same way. It only started feeling less sure footed since I changed to a staggered setup, so I'm pretty sure that is the major culprit.

I'm going to try to set it stiffer and see if it helps. If not, Tom's it is.
Old 10-06-04, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally posted by jmecbr900
I'm gonna change it to the stiffest setting on Friday and see if that helps. Sounds like I need to check into the Tom's rear brace. I'll try and contact Steve to find out about it.

Thanks for the advice.
yup, put it on stiff and take it easy in the beginning. i think you will like it
Old 10-06-04, 10:52 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by morris
I'm with morris on this one. Once you break both wheels free its like those squirrels are skating on ice. Could be your tires, also. When I first got my Goodyear GS-D3's they were slick as snot. Things have settled in now that I have few K on them.

Quick Reply: Need help with Daizen sways