Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tein Height Woe's. Help Needed inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-04, 03:48 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tein Height Woe's. Help Needed inside

Alright, I have a good sized system in the back of my gs, and have Tein Flex's.

Yesterday I tried making the rear a lil higher because it was tucking too much for my taste, want to give my car the raked look.

Well, my mistake I lowered it more, and when driving over to a local shop the damn wheel and tire got stuck inside the fender.....that was a PIA!

Well, after they raised up the rear of the car, it tucks slightly, not as much as it did, but they said they can't go any higher without screwing the ride of the car.

Well after that, I came to the front desk, and they told me they could adjust the mount to where they could have more room to play with the spring, basically removing the pillow ball mount, then changing the mount, then re-compressing the spring back on. They said this would cost 100 bucks, and I could have around 1-2 inches more room to play around, which is exactly what i want.

Should I just do the above proccess? Any other ways to raise the rear without killing the ride?

Just scrap the Teins and go with the Air Runners? hehe?
Old 07-28-04, 05:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm.... dunno, i would just go home and raise it back up myself. yes, technically and theoretically if you raise or drop your car over a certain limit (even if you are allowed to coz' there are threads left), you can get some weird dampening on the shock. but imho that's something i probably can live with. and you have dampening control on the flex. if it's too bouncy / floating after you raise the car up more, just stiffen up the shock.

i think your system is from airttrack right? he had cs too, he was fine
Old 07-28-04, 05:44 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm....oh well, Guess I'll just try raising it up a bit more tomorrow......see what happens.

Yeah, my system is from airttrack.
Old 07-28-04, 05:49 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Do it yourself, just go in the right direction. The threads make a big adjustment, so dont do 3-4 threads at a time. do it one thread at time. It will take forever but it will be worth it. Raise it 1-2 threads, put wheels back on, drive around the block 2-3 times, then go to a STRAIGHT surface to gauge results.

Repeat until proper lowreing is acheived. Also lower your front some!
Old 07-28-04, 05:52 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by DGOT20s
Do it yourself, just go in the right direction. The threads make a big adjustment, so dont do 3-4 threads at a time. do it one thread at time. It will take forever but it will be worth it. Raise it 1-2 threads, put wheels back on, drive around the block 2-3 times, then go to a STRAIGHT surface to gauge results.

Repeat until proper lowreing is acheived. Also lower your front some!

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do....

I have to raise the front up D, The 35 offset on the 20's is killing me.... I scrub the top of the fender a lil bit when I hit a big bump going fast, and when I make high speed turns, or very sharp turns where the body will roll, the fender actually is cutting off lil bits of tire.

It's pretty low already.
Old 07-28-04, 06:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

with 20s, imho, you always have to relearn your driving a bit to make sure you dont' rub bad somewhere

and about the height, from my experience, i have the 75% rule. meaning if you want to lower the car by 1", on the coilover, lower it by about 3/4". that's a rough number, but good reference
Old 07-28-04, 06:13 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by rominl

and about the height, from my experience, i have the 75% rule. meaning if you want to lower the car by 1", on the coilover, lower it by about 3/4". that's a rough number, but good reference
Excellent advice. I was told that when I got my coilovers.
Old 07-28-04, 08:25 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you should be carefull and not rub you fender lips too much or you will bend them and then it will look bad.

The price on the air runners is so ridiculous.. they want over 4Gs for the kit.
Old 07-28-04, 09:46 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rgarjr
Yeah you should be carefull and not rub you fender lips too much or you will bend them and then it will look bad.

The price on the air runners is so ridiculous.. they want over 4Gs for the kit.
Yeah, the air runners are pretty damn expensive, especially for what they are. I could take a Tein Flex system and convert it to use air springs and an adjustable shock for less than half of the air runners.

And to Rominl, and D. Thanks for the 75% rule, I'll need that tomorrow.

And don't worry bout the fender lips, its just very light rubbing, nothing extreme. Just getting a lil annoying that I can't take 90 degree turns at the speeds I want to.
Old 08-03-04, 06:59 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, well I tried adjusting em today, and they wont go any higher...... Do you think my springs might be worn out, and just become saggy?

I know you guys have some huge systems and aren't forced to tuck the rear wheel....

Should I get a new set?
Old 08-04-04, 12:26 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Blue98Gs3
Ok, well I tried adjusting em today, and they wont go any higher...... Do you think my springs might be worn out, and just become saggy?

I know you guys have some huge systems and aren't forced to tuck the rear wheel....

Should I get a new set?
if the wheel ever gets stuck again you might want to try to let some air out of the tire so you can get it un-stuck
Old 08-04-04, 10:07 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Good idea, didnt think of that....... but I know I shouldnt have to tuck the rear tire.......maybe the springs/shocks are worn out......
Old 08-04-04, 03:01 PM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

Can someone tell me if the problem is probably my springs being worn out?

The things wont go up any farther....
Old 08-04-04, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

after reading all the posts and stuff, i have a great feeling that the shocks are blown. springs hardly worn, specially if it's really just 8k miles. if anything the shocks will go first. if the shocks go, it can't support the car and the car sack. seems like that'st eh case for you

there is just no way the flex can't go that high. your system was in airtrack's car and he had CS no problem. the flex already allow the car to go higher than CS.

blown shocks i vote
Old 08-05-04, 12:41 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This doesn't make any sense? I have a full blown system w/ heavy fiberglass in the trunk and have no problems raising or lowering my Tein CS coilovers at all. If I raised my car up to the max, I would have at least 3" of wheel gap with my 20's. And with the Flex, you should have even more adjustability...

There's something mechanically wrong with your rear coilovers. I would agree with Rominl that the rear shocks probably blew out and needs to be checked!

Last edited by LXOGOOD; 08-05-04 at 12:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Tein Height Woe's. Help Needed inside