Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-04, 06:14 AM
ONe21
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bushings

There is already a thread about the front bushings, so I've got the front of my car's suspension covered... so now how about the rear.

Here is the knowledge that I recieved when I bought the car. "You will have to get the car aligned every 5000 -7000 miles." I asked him why and he didn't really know. I am now aware that the bushings are worn, but I don't know if it's the front or the back?!? I've only had the car for 2k miles so I haven't had the alignment done yet. Is he most likely talking about the front, or could the rear be the problem?
Old 07-14-04, 08:27 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front lower bushings go first, mine were only 1/2 there. (My rears were fine but I replaced them anyways.)
I had decent amount of squeaking when going over speed bumps and things like that with the old bushings.

Now with the Daizen's there is no more squeaking (some people claim they squeak …is that after XXXX amount of miles?)

Also the power steering rack bushings seem to go. (On the 300 at least.)

Shocks may need to be replaced also.
Old 07-14-04, 02:38 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by SDSC300
Now with the Daizen's there is no more squeaking (some people claim they squeak …is that after XXXX amount of miles?)
Supposedly the squeaking issue arises if the DST's aren't lubed properly upon installation. If you're squeak free then they were sufficiently lubed. I personally refuse to put polyurethane bushings on my car because I don't like the way they ride and I don't even want to think about the possibility of squeaks. Front lower bushings available from Carson Toyota for about $160 (4 bushes).
Old 07-14-04, 02:48 PM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Default Re: Rear bushings

Originally posted by ONe21
There is already a thread about the front bushings, so I've got the front of my car's suspension covered... so now how about the rear.

Here is the knowledge that I recieved when I bought the car. "You will have to get the car aligned every 5000 -7000 miles." I asked him why and he didn't really know. I am now aware that the bushings are worn, but I don't know if it's the front or the back?!? I've only had the car for 2k miles so I haven't had the alignment done yet. Is he most likely talking about the front, or could the rear be the problem?
Frequent alignmend doesn`t help if you have worn parts in the suspension. It is even pointless cause car can`t be aligned properly meaning keep wheel geometry as adjusted.
Old 07-15-04, 06:12 AM
ONe21
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Re: Rear bushings

Originally posted by EUROJulian
Frequent alignmend doesn`t help if you have worn parts in the suspension. It is even pointless cause car can`t be aligned properly meaning keep wheel geometry as adjusted.
Ok, well then I won't be taking it for an alignment until I get my bushings in then. Does anyone think that the rear might be the problem, or is that unlikely? I'm assuming that it's the front.
Old 07-19-04, 08:21 AM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: Re: Rear bushings

Originally posted by ONe21
Ok, well then I won't be taking it for an alignment until I get my bushings in then. Does anyone think that the rear might be the problem, or is that unlikely? I'm assuming that it's the front.
it would be difficult to make the judgement without seeing the vehicle. Best way to see which ones would need replacement is to do a visual check.

Eurojilian is correct. If your bushings are wacked up then doing alignment every 5-7k miles would do pretty much nothing.

Firestone offers lifetime alignment guarantee. I paid $160 including tax. This give you the right to get alignment at any firestone location every 6k miles or whenever needed.

I have Daizen front and rear sway bar and control arm bushings. I like how they ride, I don't think they've changed the underlying characteristics of the vehicle but it did make the suspension more tight.
Befor changing to the Daizen bushings, when i let go of the steering wheel while driving it would not keep straight... but after the bushings the car now travels straight even when i don't hold on to the steering wheel. (i only did it to check the vehicle due to some leaning issues, yes. it was in a safe manner at failry low speed with no cars on the road)

as for the bushings go.... unrelated but motor mounts and tranny mounts go at about 80k miles or so also.

the above info is for a 92 sc400