Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Torn Ball Joint Boots

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 10:43 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Torn Ball Joint Boots

Okay I am installing my Daizen bushings and have my arms off the car. The old bushings are removed (torched) but before I install the new ones, I need to sort out the torn ball joint boots.

The ball joint is fine, the arm is fine. I just need to change 1.5 inches of rubber boot. Of course, Lexus wants me to spend $500 for two new arms. Right, wait for it. I would have to destroy perfectly good bushings too so I can install the Daizens.

So no one sells this damn boot. It's maybe 50 cents worth of rubber. Anyone have any ideas?

I'm thinking maybe getting a power steering rack bellows kit from a small car and hacking it up to adapt it.

Anyone else had this problem? No way on this planet am I buying new arms for this problem.
Old 07-09-04, 11:45 AM
EUROJulian
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are cars with removable/replaceable ball joints. Get your boot to the parts store and try to mach it up. Buy the whatever joint just for the boot .

Another way is trip to the junk yard and trying to mach it up there if you are adventurous type. It should be cheaper.....
Old 07-09-04, 01:01 PM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by EUROJulian
There are cars with removable/replaceable ball joints. Get your boot to the parts store and try to mach it up. Buy the whatever joint just for the boot .

Another way is trip to the junk yard and trying to mach it up there if you are adventurous type. It should be cheaper.....

the mr2 ball joint boots are about the right size for the rear lower ball joint. (and most of the others if I remember correctly, but check before you buy.) I haven't tried it yet. I need to fix one of mine.

mr2 ball joints for 91-95 . There may be a bunch of mr2 guys that will practly give you there old ball joints because they only last around 100k.

there may be cheaper and better solutions.
Old 04-21-06, 08:19 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone ever confirm, the mr2 ball joint boot fitment, my upper ball joint boot is torn.
Old 04-22-06, 01:34 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Those ball joints and boot sleeves on the front lower control arms are not replaceable... You need new arms.. I have a 1992 SC400 and had replaced my worn stock bushings with Daisen's also and I didn't like the feel of the Daisens. I found them to feel to spongy, too much rubber with those bushings.. At the time of change I also noticed my pivot/ball joint boot/sleeve was torn... I then found out those joints are not replaceable... I removed the lower control arms (front) with the newly installed daisen bushing and threw them in the trash can...

Got a dealer discount on some 1993 Supra TT front lower control arms (new) with stock OEM bushings for $400 for both... Installed and loved the new steering and suspension feel...The car is super responsive and handles fantastic. That is my story... Those worn pivot joints with cracked boot housing can be dangerous if failure occures.. To my knowledge full arm replacement is your only option...Good Luck..
Old 04-22-06, 01:48 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to say Jose.. You have to get new ones... or at least used arms, which don’t have a torn boot....

On these cars you cannot change the ball joints on our cars... ask Todd.. They’re pressed in.. Can’t be done...

If u re-install these I guarantee with in 15-20 K miles the lower ball joints will go bad... those boots keep dirt water and debris out of the joint... once those are compromised the whole thing will suffer..
Just my two cents man

Hope it helps

-Tommy
Old 04-22-06, 02:01 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

The front lower control arms are very easy to change out... Two bolt and nuts where the bushings are and the Pivot/ball joint bolt and off it comes... I changed my front lower control arms in about an hour or two tops... You will need a new wheel allignment after install...The rear arms are more challenging the front end is a piece of cake...Good luck...