Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Heavy sound system, dropped my rear!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-04, 10:12 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy sound system, dropped my rear!!

I'm ordered springs and shocks, but crap I just got my bad *** subs,amps,caps etc... installed and the rear of my car is low! Should i just lower the front? I have a 5cu ft box in my trunk with threereally heavy amps and two 30 pound subs(each). Not to mention caps, eq, custom work(wood, etc..) What do I do!
Old 03-14-04, 10:19 PM
mikeyboy
Lead Lap

Default ...

i type so damn fast i make stupid type-o's. Dont mind my idiotic mistakes
Old 03-14-04, 10:42 PM
johnee78
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Pics please...
Old 03-14-04, 11:25 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason why your car dropped so low is because all the weight is compressing your super-soft stock springs. Changing it to a more aggressive, stiffer spring will actually help alleviate the problem. At least, you won't bottom out. If anything, you might retain your current height with the new springs and shocks.
Old 03-14-04, 11:36 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I see two options here:

1. You have to get two sets of springs. Maybe the Eibachs for the rear and the Intrax for the front. This will give you an inch drop in the rear, while giving you a 2 inch drop in the front. Just an example though, you might have to do more research on the different springs to find the right drop height you need.

2. Coilovers! Fully adjustable in every way

EDIT - I forgot, you have one more option. If you're happy with the height of the rear, maybe you can just change the spring in the front to compensate. Then change the shocks on all fours.

Last edited by V8_Aristo; 03-14-04 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-15-04, 05:17 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

just a humble suggestion

please dont make the mistake and mix and match springs , very very dangerous, your car will behave very badly due to the mismatched spring rates ..

if the height might be a problem because of weight then you will also have a damper (shock) issue as well ..my suggestion , you need coilovers with adjustable damping as well to compensate for the added ton you have in the trunk

that way set the height for the weight and also custom set your damping to compensate for the weight
Old 03-15-04, 05:46 AM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

I'm with lex4life on this one, coils is your best option, in most cases springs are manufactured to lower a factory issue car, not one with heavy ICE in the trunk! I think there is a company called Vogtland that makes springs for cars with trunk work, but I dont know much about them.

The coils will allow you to set your height and ride man, go for it! good luck
Old 03-15-04, 10:13 AM
Blue98Gs3
Lexus Test Driver

This is a main reason I went with espelir springs. The spring drop is something like 1.6 in the front and 1.3 in the back, and with my huge stereo system they will hopefully bring the car level. I agree with what lexforlife said, dont mix and match springs.
Old 03-15-04, 11:34 AM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

One factor on determining coil rate is the weight of the vehicle, the 2 front springs hold the weight of the the front of the car and the 2 springs hold the rear of the car. Since the weight of the rear is different from the original then it won't behave as it was intended for in the first place. Sring rates on different aftermarket springs won't be that much different from each other that I would consider it dangerous. But thats just my view on things, if aftermarket springs are tuned that well that it's perfectly matched between front and rear then there should be a disclosure saying you can't put more weight on the car at all. The end result would be different for every single car and every single driver.
Old 03-15-04, 01:11 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

v8

i respectfully disagree although interesting perspective , there is inherent danger when mixing springs / spring rates different manufact as well as mixing sway bars as well.. when springs are designed , the weight of the front and rear are factored into the equation from the start.. changing a rear to compensate for a heavier load will alter the characterisics of how the pkge was intended to ..

to balance out his scenerio , he needs adjustable coilovers with adjustable dampers to bring his ride back into balance
Old 03-15-04, 02:05 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

We all have our own opinions on suspension dynamics and I respect that. I too would recommend coilovers to remedy the situation. Interesting concept though lexforlife, but I don't believe that it's "very very dangerous" to use it in this manner. Just an opinion.

Last edited by V8_Aristo; 03-15-04 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-15-04, 02:41 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

mikeyboy

hit up doublewoosh by pm hes todd from tm engineering.. he is the eng and susp guru round these parts and he can better advise you as to the pro's and cons of what is being suggested

whatever you do be safe bro