Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warranty Issue with aftermarket part installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 08:49 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty Issue with aftermarket part installed

OK, I have seen and read a great deal of information here and on other sites about the fact that aftermarket mods don't void warranties per the Magnusson-Moss act, so I am looking for opinions/feedback on an issue I have right now.

Here is the situation:
About a week ago, my 430 front right suspension started "clunking" over bumps. I got on this site and looked at the various things it could be - bump stops, ball joints, bolt shear on sways, blown strut etc. and made an appointment with my local dealer. After physically looking at my mods (TRD sways, eibach, bilsteins installed by myself) I noticed nothing obvious or out of order (missing bolts, bushings etc.). The appointment was a week away and I had no choice but to continue driving the car. It only made the noise when hitting larger bumps, but as the week wore on, the noise became louder and more pronounced.

Upon taking the car in today, the dealer called and let me know that the problem was a failed right sway bar bracket where the sways bolt up to - and the sway on the right was being held by 1 bolt. The dealer went on to explain that they deduced that the sway bars, when installed, were not properly torqued and as a result, the bracket failed. I explained to them that I personally installed the bars and torqued them to spec per TRD, and that I had inspected the bars last week and found all bolts intact.

We are now squared off in this argument: I believe the bracket failed first, which resulted in the original clunking sound and that the bolts fell out as I drove on it this week. Otherwise, I would think that I would not have been able to drive on these sways for over 1 1/2 years without a squeak or noise, and that it would have likely failed sooner. Bracket covered under warranty. The dealer believes the install caused it, the mod influenced the bracket failure and it is not covered.

I was under the impression that the dealer has to prove the mod caused the problem, and given there is really no way of knowing if the install caused the failure, it should be covered.

I welcome any opinions/experiences along these lines. While we are not talking about a major hit here (about $140 installed including parts), it is a principle thing where I believe I am being taken advantage of by the dealer.

So does putting performance tires on my chrome 17" inch wheels void my warranty on the rim, so if the rim fails I am not covered?

Doesn't make sense.

Appreciate any feedback.
Old 11-21-03, 12:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

ok, here's how i see it. with the trd sways, it's one big fat **** bar, it's stiff as hell, and the oem sway bar end links they are very thin and definitely more volunable. in fact i have read couple of times here where people they actually BROKE their end links coz' of the stiff sway bars. now you said one bolt is missing where there should be two (i probably know which one you talking about). it could be the fact that the bolt wasn't tightened correctly, or it was but coz' of the driving on uneven road the stress caused the bolt to break or loosen up. it's definitely a torn case imho.

but on the other note, the end link and those bolts they are darn cheap parts right? if i were you i would probably just get them myselves and forget about the dealership
Old 11-21-03, 07:24 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Granted the TRD bar is twice as stiff as stock, but I have to believe that the TRD engineers didn't ignore the possible need to upgrade the strength of the sway bar bracket and would have done so as part of the kit for the bar if needed.

Add to that the notorious GS sway bar mounting bracket bolt problem (I know you torque'd 'em yourself but I believe LocTite was finally necessary to keep my bolts from backing out with the stock bar) and I'm at least a bit skeptical of the dealer's explanation.

Another dealer an option??
Old 11-21-03, 07:33 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With the notorious bracket problem I don't think they can blame the aftermarket part entirely. I would argue for the dealer to share the cost.
Old 11-21-03, 10:19 AM
gsexploits
Driver

I have let them know that there has been a TSB issued on the sway bar bracket bolts backing out. We'll see if they do the right thing and warrant it since the bolts are gone (due to my driving on it the week it took to get me into the shop), it should be clear the bolts backed out and as a result the bracket failed.

Will report final outcome...

Mistake I made was I went to a new Lexus dealer that is closer to my house rather than driving 20 minutes further to the dealer I normally go to. Should have stuck with the one I have history with. My bad.
Old 11-21-03, 12:42 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Default RESOLVED

TSB to the rescue.

"Upon further inspection we have found that this is related to the TSB SU003-02 - Front Stabilizer Bar Abnormal Noise issue and we will take care of it under warranty" is what the dealer said after I called them to explain the bolts backing out of my sway bar bracket, and ultimately falling out, was a result of this TSB and NOT theTRD sway bar.

Issue resolved - thanks to those few who left feedback.

For those interested to know, the TSB specifically states "do not apply foreign material (such as thread locking compound or lubricant) to the bolt threads before tightening the bolts to the proper torque value"

So Lexus says that everytime you bring your car in they recommend having this area inspected. Since there is a TSB on it, there would be no cost to tighten it. FYI for those interested.

Last edited by gsexploits; 11-21-03 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-22-03, 04:00 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

For those interested to know, the TSB specifically states "do not apply foreign material (such as thread locking compound or lubricant) to the bolt threads before tightening the bolts to the proper torque value"
Thanks for that quote from the TSB. I'll bring that up with the Service Dept. next time I have the car in........

Glad your dealer did the right thing!!