Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

bilstein and eibach

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-03, 08:42 PM
shadow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default bilstein and eibach

i've seen alot of info. on this topic but i wanted to know how this combo feels with people that already have this setup. I've read that its too firm and then i've heard its just right. i was planning on the l-tuned setup but according to SG, l-tuned is phasing out. i plan on doing this mod in the spring time so i'm sure that there will be very little units left. also i have read a lot of good things about bilstein.

i don't mind if there's a german feel to the ride just not super stiff to where i'm bouncing off the seat.
Old 11-17-03, 09:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts
Default Re: bilstein and eibach

Originally posted by shadow
i've seen alot of info. on this topic but i wanted to know how this combo feels with people that already have this setup.

I've read that its too firm and then i've heard its just right.
Shadow,

Sounds like you answered your own question . From what I've read most feel it's just right, but it is a bit stiffer than some others (which I personally like). I personally found it a great setup when I had it on my GS. A couple of other folks (can't recall who) thought it was a bit too stiff.

Best advise - try to find someone local to you with the combo and go for a ride... look for a CL meet in the 'regional' forum.

You will not be bouncing off your seat with this combo. L-tuned is only slightly less stiff having spent considerable time in cars equipped with both.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-17-03 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 10:46 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts
Default eibach/bilstein

To Shadow

I have a GS3 with bilsteins/stock springs/Daizen bushings. You won't have that cushy ride anymore,
but the body roll will definitely improve even with stock sways. Personally, I say that it has improved at least 70% over stock (to be on the safe side-it's definitely more than 50%). I have the eibachs, but didn't want to install them because of my dinky 16's. I was afraid that it would be too stiff and too low-scrape, scrape. It is definitely stiffer, on straight-aways and especially noticeable on freeways that have those continuous bumps (I guess to keep you awake when you're zoning out). It took me about 1 week to adjust to the new feel,so it was really jolty at first.

Too bad you're in VA cus I'm in So Cal. Otherwise you can test my car out to see what it feels like.
You won't be bouncing off the seats like the those annoying civics, but it will be stiffer.
Hope this helps.

I still wonder what would it be like if anyone out there have stock springs/shocks but with good sways like Daizen or L-tuned or others...? How did this help with the body roll and still keep the cushy straight-aways?

Last edited by GS3Tek; 11-18-03 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 02:59 PM
shadow
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default comparison

i see you have a s500, how does the firmness of the gs with bilstein shocks compare with the s500's german engineering?
Old 11-18-03, 03:45 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Yeah the stock S5 is aleady stiffer than stock GS by about another 25%, roughly.
The S5 is bigger and heavier and also uses 16"s. On the air-suspension, there's
3 mode: regular , medium, and stiff. 3rd setting is pretty stiff. It's pretty jolty, but not
bouncy.Kinda felt like when you overinflate the tires.
The only time a car would be bouncy is when the car is made for drag. If you're
willing to lose the Lexus cushy ride, then go for it. If you drive alot on the freeway with
lots of bumps, then you might not. Occasionally, I have a 15 minute drive on this
freeway that have lots of bumps that made my neck a little stiff. If you ever drove an
IS300, I think that the stock suspension is "perfect" for my taste. With my
bilsteins/stock shock, I'd say that it's about a medium-stiff (2.5) as compared to the
S500. This setup has cleaned up the stock GS-sloppy-all-over-road-right -and-left
turns alot.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 11-18-03 at 03:52 PM.