Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein HD or KYB GR-2 with L-tuned springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 03:39 PM
GinoRin
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein HD or KYB GR-2 with L-tuned springs?

I did a search but couldnt come up with an answer. It seems the Bilsteins are much better for handling than the GR2, but which is more comfortable? I always have people from work in my GS430 so I want to keep a decent ride. The car is on 19s right now with the stock suspension and it looks terrible, like a 4x4! Ive read that the L-tuned springs are basicall just reboxed Eibachs, which is fine with me since darrel has a sweet price on them right now @ $175. I've seen the GR2s on ebay for as low as $265 shipped, while the bilsteins are running $450-500. Is it really worth the extra $250 for the bilstein HD over the KYB GR-2 or is the difference not that noticeable? I would prefer the choice with a more plush ride for sure. Any input is appreciated!

Thanks

Gino
Old 08-06-06, 05:57 PM
lexusmonk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know the exact same thing! anyone, anyone?....
Old 08-07-06, 12:04 PM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

I'm on the same boat. I have a set of Eiback prokit and wanting to get some shocks but can't decide if I want to get Bilstein or KYB? Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 08-07-06, 12:11 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i had them with the eibach prokit springs. it was a decent ride and offered superb handling. they are definitely stiffer than the tein cs that i have on the car now. the tein cs compresses too easily so i may switch back to the bilstin/eibach combo again.

if you can - see if you can grab a ride in someone else's car who happens to have the suspension setup you want. words can only do so much to convey the driving characteristics exhibited....
Old 08-07-06, 12:28 PM
05EX
Pole Position

I have Tein S-Tech's on my car with the KYB GR-2's and im running 19's 285/30 rear and 245/35 up front im quite happy with the ride and handling. I personally dont have any experience with Bilsteins on this car (98 GS400) the ride is firm, but compliant not overly stiff, good feedback and great response. It has a little jitter to it on very choppy roads, but i think a strut bar will eliminate that when you tie in the chassis together. Overall im very pleased.
Old 08-07-06, 12:39 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bilstein and L-Tune Springs

I recently removed my worn out L-Tuned shocks/struts and replaced with Bilstein Sports. It has been better all around. Speed bumps and railroad tracks don't bottom out as easily. The ride is more BMW like. Freeway driving is more controlled. I haven't had any comments on harshness or roughness. I can't speak on the GR-2.
Old 08-07-06, 06:02 PM
lexusmonk
Driver

I've been utilizing the search function and from what I gather...the KYB GR2 shocks are basicaly stock shocks. So riddle me this... why would one 'upgrade' to KYB's from their stock shocks when KYB's are 'stock'??? am I the only one that has wondered about this?...hmmmm
Old 08-07-06, 07:43 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've done a lot of reading on this forum and overall it sounds as though the bilstein HD shocks are the way to go. they seem pretty popular and for me - I actually may be going back to them from my tein CS setup shortly.
Old 08-08-06, 07:07 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusmonk
I've been utilizing the search function and from what I gather...the KYB GR2 shocks are basicaly stock shocks. So riddle me this... why would one 'upgrade' to KYB's from their stock shocks when KYB's are 'stock'??? am I the only one that has wondered about this?...hmmmm
The KYB struts are not the same as the stock ones. They are the same as the l-tuned struts, which are considered an upgrade from stock! They are somewhat stiffer than stock and provide more control while driving, i had both and i can assure you that they are not the same as the stock ones.
Old 08-08-06, 06:47 PM
lexusmonk
Driver

Oh, thanks! Where can you find adjustable KYB's?
Old 08-09-06, 06:17 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexusmonk
Oh, thanks! Where can you find adjustable KYB's?
I dont think that they make adjustable KYB struts for the GS, only the gr2.
Old 08-20-06, 07:18 PM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Default Bilstein VS KYB fitment question

I have a 2003 GS430 and am interested in the Bilstein HD model but I have a question. Why is it that KYB on their website lists the same model of their shocks as fitting close to all 2nd gen. GS models, but Bilstien on their site lists their's as fitting only up to 2002 models? I guess I should be asking Bilstein this question, but thought someone here might know.

Last edited by TexasLex; 08-20-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 05:47 AM
LexChipS
Driver

Where can we get the Bilsteins from at a good rate?
Old 08-24-06, 11:20 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexchips
Where can we get the Bilsteins from at a good rate?
I just ordered mine from TM Engineering for a hair under $500 including shipping.
Old 08-25-06, 11:34 AM
blue99GS4
Pole Position

Hey Texaslex,
Please let us know how it turned out.
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Bilstein HD or KYB GR-2 with L-tuned springs?