Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-03, 06:34 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts
Unhappy Warped Rotors

I recently purchased RMM big brakes with cross drilled/slotted rotors in August of this year and have only put about 2000 miles on the brakes, well I just found out from my local dealership that the pulsating in the brakes is from the rotors being warped. I barely drive the car especially in the rian so I am totally surprised as to how this could happed, unless of course the rotors were warped when I installed them. Neverthless I live in ft Lauderdale florida and was wondering if any locals know of a shop that can cut these type of rotors.
Thanks
Old 10-28-03, 09:27 AM
RAristo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you perform the proper break-in procedure for your brake kit? It's very vital in terms of performance and the life-time of rotors/pads.
Old 10-28-03, 09:33 AM
martialart
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya it sounds like the brake in was not proformed correctly.
Old 10-28-03, 09:48 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any brake shop can turn these rotors since they are no different than working on a stock Supra TT brake.

They should be able to advise you if the warpage will be fixable if the rotors get turned.

You also should take care that whenever the wheels are installed that they are torqued properly. I've read that this may cause warpage, though I never looked into how true this was.

I had RMM brakes/TT brakes for over two years with no warp issues.

I think someone recently had a used set of TT rotors for sale, so that might be an option for you.

I also have a used set of non-warped TT rotors that I might sell, if you need em.

Oh just to verify, these were brand new brakes?

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-28-03 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-28-03, 10:55 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Unhappy

Yes, these were brand new brakes/rotors. I purchased them from my dealer and even had them install them. The interesting thing is that ever since the install I have had slight pulsating in the pedal but it just seemed to have gotten worse. I have contacted the dealership I purchased them from and they are hoping that RMM will replace the rotors. I also contacted RMM and they claim they do not manufacture the cross drilled slotted rotors and that they purchase them from another vendor. They only directly sell the slotted rotors instead. They didnt seem to have a problem with helping with my problem saying that they could replace them. My question is if they replace them should I ask for the slotted instead of the cross drilled? Is it true that the cross drilled warp easily? and lastly what is the procedure in a proper breaking in of brakes?

Thanks guys!

BTW RMMGS4 pm me and let me know how much you may want to sell your 4.
Old 10-28-03, 11:44 AM
RMMGS4

I'm a little unclear on who you think has responsibility for the drilled /slotted rotors, since from what I understand it does not appear RMM sold the rotors you have. I can confirm that RMM has not sold drilled rotors for a long time because of potential warpage issues. This is from talking with Mr. Millen himself in person. So how is it that you were sold RMM calipers and not RMM rotors?

I think that the quality of the rotors plays a part with whether you get warpage. I replaced my RMM slotted rotors for drilled / slotted, entirely for cosmetic reasons. (This is why I still have RMM slotted rotors sitting around). I have since replaced the RMM for AP Racing brakes (due to the mod bug).

Here's the set up I had before I switched to the AP's:
Attached Thumbnails Warped Rotors-frdsk1.jpg  
Old 10-28-03, 12:00 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

RMM ...nice suspension.....[drool]
Old 10-28-03, 12:02 PM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

I purchased the RMM big brake kit from my local lexus dealership RMM GS4. The kit included the calipers and cross drilled rotors and brake lines. This was a conplete kit. When I spoke with RMM 2day I was then told they do not carry/sell the cross drilled anymore and that they would contact the manufacturer regarding my warping and for me to contact the dealer having the rep call RMM for a possible warranty replacement. My problem with this whole thing is I have had this problem since day one hoping the problem would go away in means of the pads setting in. It just got worse. I barely drive the car . BTW I made a mistake in my earlier post about the mileage on the brakes, I have only put on 250 maybe 300 miles on the brakes not 2000. I am really hoping that RMM will replace the rotors since the dealership ordered the brakes from them. I bought two sets of rotors, one for my GS and the other for my brother-in-laws GS PMatrix and his rotors are fine.
Old 10-28-03, 12:22 PM
RMMGS4

Well that sounds like a tough situation for both yourself, the dealer, RMM and the rotor company.

Sounds like the rotors were bad from the beginning and in retrospect, you should have brought them back as soon as you sensed the problem. Hopefully your dealer will appreciate your situaton, if you have explained everything you have posted so far.

I happen to be a Supplier Quality Engineer, so I am used to drilling into who did what wrong and making sure the right owner is identified and fixes it.

I am not where you are to help, but you are welcome to advise with me if anyone is less then helpful with resolving your problem. If I had to push, I would say a couple hundred miles is un-acceptable for warpage, as there is nothing you could have done to cause that to happen in such short a time. I would hope your dealer resolves this for you, since they are the sellers. They need to deal with RMM and RMM deal with the rotor company.

Let us know how things go.

Oh thanks Letsride. You should see the new set up.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 10-28-03 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-28-03, 12:39 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

RMM....Dont be like that man....SHOW ME PICS

Last edited by Letsride; 10-28-03 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-28-03, 12:59 PM
RMMGS4

Originally posted by Letsride
RMM....Dont be like that man....SHOW ME PICS

I actually haven't taken any shots of the new brakes.

The only shot I know of is the one I took with the wheel on. See the CL Hompage of my car?

I'll post pics when I have a chance.