Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Forum Crash Last Night?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-01, 05:53 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looked to me like the forum crashed last night.

Did we lose some messages?
Old 03-06-01, 08:52 AM
badmuthrfkr

I believe it was just going through some normal downtime for maintenance.
Old 03-06-01, 09:35 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Default No crash

DNS changes and some maintenence work that will happen through out the day....
Old 03-06-01, 10:42 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Approximately 10 posts I made late yesterday seemed to have vanished. Oh, well, at least it wasn't total destruction. LS1.com has had total crashes on several occasions and ALL posts were lost. I wonder if backup would be advisable because the posts often contain excellent info that would be ashame to loose.
Old 03-06-01, 11:14 AM
Harrier
Pole Position

As a matter of fact, I could have sworn I'd posted a few messages yesterday, too. Hmm.

I don't think I lost ten posts, but I agree with Mr. Brady - it's a shame to lose valuable input.
Old 03-06-01, 11:40 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

I am doing daily backups of the database so if we have crashes the most we should lose is one days worth of traffic......
Old 03-06-01, 02:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

mkilty - Where's your apology for the loss of messages? I realize this is a free service, but it's hard to get excited about helping others when our messages are lost. I try to take time to help others on here as much as I can, but it's a downer if that effort gets wasted.

Old 03-06-01, 02:51 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Cool My humble apology

I understand. The database is backed up every evening to minimize losing posts when problems occur. I don't like to posts as well so I know the feeling.

Please except my humble apology and I'll try to get it right next time...

Old 03-06-01, 07:28 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Michael,

As far as I'm concerned no apology is necessary.

Perhaps some of the forum users don't have an appreciation for the amount of time, energy and commitment maintaining a site of this nature involves.

And sometimes **** happens and computers screw up. Unfortunately, the huge dues we pay to have the ability to use this resource don't provide for a mirrored raid, fully redundant, 24x7 supported site.

I suspect I speak for many other users who believe you deserve to be thanked not berated.

Please accept my thanks for the existence of this site.

Marty
Old 03-06-01, 08:03 PM
Grush
Rookie

Thumbs up

Ditto....what Marty said.
Old 03-06-01, 11:41 PM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me, Three!!

Mike - I'm with Marty & Grush. I have NO comprehension of what it takes to develop & maintain a website but I do know this - if it wasn't for Club Lexus, I wouldn't know anything about the parts available to improve the Lexus rides, nor would I have the opportunity to share my audio knowledge with others & learn myself from folks like Percy! Of course, my WIFE might be alot happier to see the money go elsewhere!! I also understand Bit's side of things, but for myself ( especially since this site isn't costing me anything ), I can put up with some occasional glitches in the system!
Old 03-07-01, 04:54 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also agree, you guys that remember me from when i had first joined here have probobly seen how much i've learned (from bad burnouts to good burnouts... and other stuff)
Old 03-07-01, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

OK guys, don't think I don't appreciate what Mike does - ClubLexus is GREAT. And since I'm in the software business, I know it's a lot of work. I just think that if he loses messages, he must acknowledge that this causes aggravation because it's not clear what was lost and what wasn't and a lot of people spend a lot of time entering messages.

If you're going to put on a service/site, even if it's free, outages are a big issue given how many people are involved.

But just to be clear again, don't think I'm 'berating' Michael as someone said, I just didn't see any tone of concern that messages were lost and I thought that was a reasonable thing to expect.

Michael, you're doing a GREAT job, and moving sites is often painful. Keep up the great work.

Personally I think you should start to get some advertisers, or maybe do some simple e-commerce to help fund the board. As others have mentioned, accepting donations is good too - I'm happy to chip in there.