Site Suggestions & Problems Bring up any suggestions, questions or problems concerning ClubLexus. If you need to test a forum feature, post here too. Note - questions about your Lexus do not belong in this forum!

Members should be penalized for not using the search function

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-06, 06:13 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Members should be penalized for not using the search function

Seriously, it's getting worse and worse. I try to be nice and search for them, but they don't get it.
Old 03-16-06, 06:46 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by V8_Aristo
Seriously, it's getting worse and worse. I try to be nice and search for them, but they don't get it.
Poyet, I totally agree with you but penalizing for not searching may not be a possible option. I mean, there are just too many variables, sometimes you might be penalized for the wrong thing.

I think we should just delete threads that are started that don't really matter or have been gone through many times. Eventually, if you delete enough of their threads, they'll know that making threads is not worth it anymore and either leave or start to search.

Someone make me a mod, I can make this a much better place.
Jk, it's controlled well, but the newbs could be handled better...
Old 03-16-06, 06:51 PM
LexFather

I am 99.9% positive we will never penalize members for not searching. I continue to suggest, maybe adding "please use the search function" in your signature.
Old 03-16-06, 07:18 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

But sometimes, people do search, and because the keywords are off, or the post needed, is miss labeled. they then ask...
But yea, for someone who puts some way easy "how to change air filter" post, then absolutely, smack em around.

If they are looking for a part or how to do something...and they are saying it wrong or looking at the wrong part...correct them and then tell them to search!!!

I'm guilty on both ends, not searching and then telling someone to search.
Old 03-16-06, 07:20 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

May I suggest that new users arent allowed to start new threads until they have about 10-15 quality posts?? Maybe that would help new members understand. But on the flipside, I dont know if that is in the best interest of Dave and the other mods. To me it makes it seem very uninviting.

Or how about making the search function available to the guest members as well?? Can that be allowed, or is it already allowed??
Old 03-16-06, 09:32 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by magneto112
May I suggest that new users arent allowed to start new threads until they have about 10-15 quality posts?? Maybe that would help new members understand. But on the flipside, I dont know if that is in the best interest of Dave and the other mods. To me it makes it seem very uninviting.

Or how about making the search function available to the guest members as well?? Can that be allowed, or is it already allowed??

....at the bottom of this page, I've tried this already.

See the results here :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199212
Old 03-16-06, 09:41 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what penalties were you thinking of
Old 03-16-06, 09:45 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
....at the bottom of this page, I've tried this already.

See the results here :
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=199212
Repost, he would have known that if he would have searched

If I could just get them to read the search tips in this thread they could search like a king:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=10

Old 03-16-06, 09:50 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

Originally Posted by TLW
what penalties were you thinking of
I'm not a moderator on this forum, so I really don't know what is possible and what is not.
Old 03-16-06, 10:18 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Repost, he would have known that if he would have searched

If I could just get them to read the search tips in this thread they could search like a king:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=10

hahaha...true...that was just an example
Old 03-16-06, 10:24 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default The future's looking bleak....

Xotic has the right idea- a little bit of tough love in the beginning would go a long way.
Once you get a few threads deleted, I'd think you'd get the message.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think we'll see that happen. Why?

- I think the management of this site prefers to see lots of new members join and actively post, no matter how insipid the content. For hundreds of examples, see forum #6.

- Plus, there is this management attitude that members should not be discouraged from asking questions.

And to make things even easier for those too aliterate to search, there are plenty of newbies that just love to increase their post count by cheerfully typing out repetitive answers that the (even newer) questioner could have seen if he had searched in the first place.
Old 03-16-06, 11:07 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

Hi Perry, long time no talk! why's your script so tiny?

Here's my take on things:
Yes, it's redundant sometimes. But when I was new I asked and posted some dumb crap and was ignored by many.

Nowadays if I come across a question that's asked in a nice manner I'll usually try to help, especially if they're new.
I recently joined another board and saw the "new people, please read before you post" sticky. I was reading it and midway I thought to myself "if I wasn't aware from my experience on CL I would've skipped right over this and just posted my question".
What I'm trying to say is, some people are so new to the whole forum thing they don't realize what they're doing. Also, search isn't always helpful. I searched some things and 20 pages pop up so I'm not going to sift through that! lol
Try to see it throught their eyes and know that with each helpfull post you are possibly creating another person who will in turn help someone else. I'm a firm believer in karma.

Overall, I would like to thank all the "senior" members because I've read your posts and you guys are helpful (specifically everyone who posted in this thread).

All one can do is keep helping, keep welcoming, and keep saying "please use search". imho

Thanks for reading.
Old 03-16-06, 11:33 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Font better now, Liz?

You're welcome, but I respectfully disagree.
But now that you're an admin, I'm not surprised you are toeing the company line.

It's a stretch to say, in 2006, that anyone old enough to drive a car is having his first internet discussion forum experience on ClubLexus. They were smart enough to find this site in the first place (probably using search engines like Yahoo or Google) , and know enough to quickly get a sig created and crank out a whole lot of (repetitive) posts in a short time.

Apparently, the only thing they are not sharp on is how to search? C'mon!

And give me a break with that "20 pages" routine. Those same search engines Yahoo or Google will also give you 20 pages if you just type in "Lexus". Gee, those same guys that found ClubLexus by refining their search to "Lexus discussion forum" suddenly forgot how to refine searches once they hit our site!

How convenient.

That fact that threads such as this one continue to generate lots of discussion is a strong indication that this "please/nicely/karma" strategy of yours (and others) isn't as effective as you may think.

This formerly great site still remains a very good one, but lately it seems to be on the path of becoming another myspace.com.
Old 03-16-06, 11:52 PM
AsianGirl007
Lexus Diva

You are entitled to disagree, we are people and everyone is different. (It's GREAT being on top of the food chain!)

Yes, my title reads admin, but I do not handle any admin duties, it's all Dave and Ethan. I only exercise admin duties when it's related to vendors. It's quite the opposite of what you think of me as I am still able to post and voice my opinion freely without any fear of a dealership boss or a CL boss looking over my shoulder. lol

While we are on the topic of dealerships, I had the privilage of meeting a broad range of customers and you would be shocked to know that a great number of them are in the dark with certain things. A high paying job, degree, or street smarts doesn't guarrantee common sense. I'm sure you can agree with me!

Okay, 20 pages might have been over the top. I was just saying search doesn't always work. Heck, sometimes I'm too lazy to use search. Yes, I admit it!

I still am a firm believer in karma and it reflects who I am. But that is a whole other conversation which I'm happy to discuss with you over coffee sometime.

In conclusion, we've put into place a rather large fine for posting offenders. I'm sure Dave is open to suggestions from you on how to improve the "search" issue.

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA
You're welcome, but I respectfully disagree.
But now that you're an admin, I'm not surprised you are toeing the company line.

It's a stretch to say, in 2006, that anyone old enough to drive a car is having his first internet discussion forum experience on ClubLexus. They were smart enough to find this site in the first place (probably using search engines like Yahoo or Google) , and know enough to quickly get a sig created and crank out a whole lot of (repetitive) posts in a short time.

And give me a break with that "20 pages" routine. Those same search engines Yahoo or Google will also give you 20 pages if you just type in "Lexus". Gee, those same guys that found ClubLexus by refining their search to "Lexus discussion forum" suddenly forgot how to refine searches once they hit our site!

How convenient.

That fact that threads such as this one continue to generate lots of discussion is a strong indication that this "please/nicely/karma" strategy of yours (and others) isn't as effective as you may think.

This formerly great site still remains a very good one, but lately it seems to be on the path of becoming another myspace.com.
Old 03-16-06, 11:57 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PERRYinLA

How convenient.
I've wanted to say that for the longest time but I just figured nobody would read it, and look at me like I am some sort of search-****.

Quick Reply: Members should be penalized for not using the search function