Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

Perforated Leather Cleaning - Cigarette Smell

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 08:47 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Perforated Leather Cleaning - Cigarette Smell

So on my 08 IS, I've noticed for a while now on long car rides when I have a suitcase or any clothes sitting in my back seat that they would almost always smell like cigarettes even though I don't smoke. Noticed it when I would let the car sit for a while as well and it'd vaguely smell of stale cigarettes. I don't smoke, and I know it hasn't been smoked in for the past 4-5 years that I've owned it, so I don't know where the smell came from unless it's off me from being around smokers fairly often.. Without needing to remove the actual leather cover off the foam, what avenues could I pursue to clean it up?
Old 05-21-19, 05:23 AM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you checked your cabin air filter and replaced it? If you recirculating stale air, a fresh filter would definitely help. Certainly wouldn't hurt to pop in a new one if it's been a while.

Might also be a good idea to check for exhaust leaks to make sure you're not getting exhaust fumes in to the cabin.
Old 05-22-19, 05:42 AM
GunnyFitz
Instructor

Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

I found this little item tucked under my drivers seat truly absorbs all unwanted scents within my truck. It is not an Air Freshener, but a charcoal based item that draws in bad odors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BOH6BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004BOH6BM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When it comes to my Leather Product - I mainly use this, which has a nice scent IMHO.
https://www.autogeek.net/d180-leather-cleaner.html
Old 05-22-19, 01:17 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by Beachtyme
Have you checked your cabin air filter and replaced it? If you recirculating stale air, a fresh filter would definitely help. Certainly wouldn't hurt to pop in a new one if it's been a while.

Might also be a good idea to check for exhaust leaks to make sure you're not getting exhaust fumes in to the cabin.
Yeah, I change them every couple months. Seems the smell is originating from the back seat area since I can't get it to linger on me or a passenger in the front.

Originally Posted by GunnyFitz
I found this little item tucked under my drivers seat truly absorbs all unwanted scents within my truck. It is not an Air Freshener, but a charcoal based item that draws in bad odors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When it comes to my Leather Product - I mainly use this, which has a nice scent IMHO.
https://www.autogeek.net/d180-leather-cleaner.html
Yeah, I'll give those a try. Worth a shot.
The following 2 users liked this post by Zmon:
Beachtyme (05-24-19), GunnyFitz (05-23-19)
Old 05-25-19, 10:03 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Those are all great solutions. But, it sounds like you would prefer to get rid of the source of the odor, not find ways to live with it. The only way I know to do that is with an ozone generator. You can get one yourself, but beware cheap ones with exaggerated claims. A good one will cost you around $200. You run it in the car for about an hour, and then vacate the vehicle for another hour. The ozone will permeate all the surfaces and break down the chemicals causing the smoke odor. Having said all of that, the simplest thing is to Google a top rated detailer in your area and ask if they offer ozone odor removal service. Will cost you about the same, but you will have a professional with the right equipment that knows what they are doing. Bon chance!
Old 11-02-19, 05:25 AM
MarkVII
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 49 Posts

I've had very good results with an ozone generator, picked up a decent one on ebay for <$100. The work vehicle I drove was used by a heavy smoker and a few treatments with the ozone generator cured it.
Old 11-04-19, 05:39 PM
im704
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found this on the same site Gunny recommended:
Put an end to foul odors! Instead of simply covering them up with an ineffective air freshener, eliminate the odors with Meguiars Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator. This aerosol-based fogger makes odor elimination quicker and easier than ever. Use Meguiars Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator in air conditioner vents, under seats & all the cracks and crevasses.
Meguiars Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator

I watched a few videos on YouTube about similar products and from what i watched seem to do the job.

Seven
Old 12-15-19, 04:18 PM
Zmon
Racer

Originally Posted by im704
Found this on the same site Gunny recommended:
Put an end to foul odors! Instead of simply covering them up with an ineffective air freshener, eliminate the odors with Meguiars Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator. This aerosol-based fogger makes odor elimination quicker and easier than ever. Use Meguiars Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator in air conditioner vents, under seats & all the cracks and crevasses.
Meguiars Air Re-Fresher Odor Eliminator

I watched a few videos on YouTube about similar products and from what i watched seem to do the job.

Seven
Forgot about this thread.

I've tried those multiple times with no help. I'm contemplating either buying one of those Enerzen Ozone generators (I'm guessing the 11000 mg version) from Amazon, or just paying a detailer to do it as I'm getting frustrated with my luggage now having the smell on it when I have it in my car for a fairly long car ride. Looks like the typical price range is $60-70 per hour for a detailer to do it, and some also require an interior detailing before that's done (which is usually around 125-150).
Old 12-16-19, 07:07 AM
edubs77
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ozone generator
Old 12-16-19, 07:14 AM
AnthonyMJ
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Probably a good idea to have the detailing done too.
Old 05-11-20, 07:13 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there any update to this thread?

I’m researching the topic because I found a used Lexus at the dealer but was driven by a smoker for several years and the interior is pretty gross. ( Lexus dealer had yet to service the car, so I got a chance to see it in its pre-detail condition)

I want to hear from you all that have experience buying a used car from a dealer that detailed and ozone the car, and what the results have been long term...
Old 07-02-20, 03:27 PM
JackFlak
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you own a front loader washer? You know how those things some times have that funky smell? The smell can transfer from your clothes over a long period of time. That happened to my car. You won't notice the odor on your clothes.

My boss got in my car and asked if I smoked. I never smoke and nobody ever smoked. But it had that weird smell. I had a Toyota that had the same smell. In my other car, I replaced the cloth seats with a leather upgrade and the entire smell went away. The cloth seats were absorbing the odors from the clothes. I paid over $1,000 for the front loader and now it's killing me to get rid of it and replace it back with a top loader all because of that front loader smell. You can see tons of complaints about these. Lots of people have front loaders, so I thought I'd bring that up.