GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

warped Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 05:50 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default warped Rotors

Hello, I'm posting my first issue with my 2016 GS so my car is in the garage a lot cause I'm in the company car most of the time. So today I take her out for a drive and I'm getting that sound you hear when your Rotors are warped and some vibration, it seems to be coming from the rear I did wash my car a few days ago not sure if it's rust deposit under the pads it wasn't doing this last time I drove. it's still under the basic warranty and it's CPO so if it's the rotors would dealer cover this I know brakes on the GS F-sport are expensive at the dealer. the car has 14K miles.

Thanks
Old 04-25-19, 06:18 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Don't expect Lexus to take care of something that is a wear item (and not covered by warranty) on a 3 year-old car, like brake pads and brake rotors. If the car was only 3 weeks old it may get some attention...
Old 04-25-19, 06:21 PM
GSRockstar
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

if they are warped id wonder how. pretty sure my 2013 has the original rear brakes and rotors and they look good still
Old 04-25-19, 07:08 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
Don't expect Lexus to take care of something that is a wear item (and not covered by warranty) on a 3 year-old car, like brake pads and brake rotors. If the car was only 3 weeks old it may get some attention...

your probably right you think it could be deposit on the pads this seemed to happen after I washed the car rust from the rotors then it was sitting in the garage for about a week I can see rust on the rear pads I mean my calibers are not all rusted because they're not. but my rotors seem to get a little rust on them if I wash my wheels

Thoughts
Old 04-25-19, 07:20 PM
Cwang
Instructor

Received 310 Likes on 211 Posts

If you're 100% it's from the rear then you're in luck. The fronts are the expensive ones.
Old 04-25-19, 07:33 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
your probably right you think it could be deposit on the pads this seemed to happen after I washed the car rust from the rotors then it was sitting in the garage for about a week I can see rust on the rear pads I mean my calibers are not all rusted because they're not. but my rotors seem to get a little rust on them if I wash my wheels

Thoughts
Chances are good it's just a layer of rust from you washing the car.

You should make it a habit after washing to drive the car around the block and ride the brakes a little to heat up the rotors and get rid of the water/moisture.
Old 04-25-19, 07:39 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

i dont think wrap rotor makes any sound. the only time i know when the rotor is wrapped is when you brake the steering wheel shakes.i never heard of rear rotor causing vibration only the front rotor.
Old 04-25-19, 07:54 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
Chances are good it's just a layer of rust from you washing the car.

You should make it a habit after washing to drive the car around the block and ride the brakes a little to heat up the rotors and get rid of the water/moisture.
Your probably right I can see the rust on the pads the car is juts sitting on garbage to much I need to drive it
Old 04-26-19, 03:16 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
Hello, I'm posting my first issue with my 2016 GS so my car is in the garage a lot cause I'm in the company car most of the time. So today I take her out for a drive and I'm getting that sound you hear when your Rotors are warped and some vibration, it seems to be coming from the rear I did wash my car a few days ago not sure if it's rust deposit under the pads it wasn't doing this last time I drove. it's still under the basic warranty and it's CPO so if it's the rotors would dealer cover this I know brakes on the GS F-sport are expensive at the dealer. the car has 14K miles.

Thanks
Take it on the Pike and see if after it still has the vibration, if so then they may be warped, as others have stated I think its just some deposit from leaving it parked after washing it. If your car is AWD then the front rotors shouldn't be that expensive. Only the RWD ones cost more since they are two piece.
Old 04-26-19, 05:48 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bigblack06
Take it on the Pike and see if after it still has the vibration, if so then they may be warped, as others have stated I think its just some deposit from leaving it parked after washing it. If your car is AWD then the front rotors shouldn't be that expensive. Only the RWD ones cost more since they are two piece.
Thanks guys I Need d to drive my car more i did few hard stops yesterday they feel much better today I don't think I
need new rotors at 14k
Old 04-26-19, 08:59 AM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Under normal circumstances there's no way in hell those things should be warped, not at 14K.

Just as a side note though, when you get ready to actually replace the front brakes, consider doing it yourself... OEM parts cost is only about $340 or so (you can skinflint with some off brand stuff, but not even worth it, frankly) and the dealer will want to soak you like $700-$1000 for the same service. (and on top of that, they'll probably try to con you into resurfacing the rotors which is another scam to make them more money, because they make more profit off resurfacing the rotors than they do selling you a new set). A jack, a couple jack stands, wheel chocks, some basic tools etc and you can do it in your driveway in a couple of hours tops if you're really slow. If I had to do mine again it'll probably take me less than an hour. DiyDan on youtube has good video on this service.

Also, slightly related note... I noticed you're from MA... if you drive this car on the roads here from Jan-Mar every year for any significant mileage, you eventually are going to mess up a wheel, tire or worse. (because potholes/trash roads) It may be worth investing in a second set of wheels/tires if you haven't already, unless you stay off the roads at night or when visibility is marginal. (most of the damage I took was from potholes I didn't see until I had hit them).

-Mike
Old 04-26-19, 12:02 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by drgrant
Under normal circumstances there's no way in hell those things should be warped, not at 14K.

Just as a side note though, when you get ready to actually replace the front brakes, consider doing it yourself... OEM parts cost is only about $340 or so (you can skinflint with some off brand stuff, but not even worth it, frankly) and the dealer will want to soak you like $700-$1000 for the same service. (and on top of that, they'll probably try to con you into resurfacing the rotors which is another scam to make them more money, because they make more profit off resurfacing the rotors than they do selling you a new set). A jack, a couple jack stands, wheel chocks, some basic tools etc and you can do it in your driveway in a couple of hours tops if you're really slow. If I had to do mine again it'll probably take me less than an hour. DiyDan on youtube has good video on this service.

Also, slightly related note... I noticed you're from MA... if you drive this car on the roads here from Jan-Mar every year for any significant mileage, you eventually are going to mess up a wheel, tire or worse. (because potholes/trash roads) It may be worth investing in a second set of wheels/tires if you haven't already, unless you stay off the roads at night or when visibility is marginal. (most of the damage I took was from potholes I didn't see until I had hit them).

-Mike

Thanks man for the info your right the deal is way over the top. But as for the pot holes I've been lucky I din drive my car in the the winter and avoid potholes these roads in MASS are atrocious trust me I know I may get the parts and do it myself if I need to I will not let the deal **** me over