LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Pcv valve molded foam cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-19, 06:39 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Pcv valve molded foam cover

PCV valves generate noise and so to dampen and block noise Toyota employed a molded foam-like cover.

The original cover was degraded by heat over time and so was a very loose fit and no longer doing its job.

After installing the new part, less noisy PCV valve.

Inexpensive part

....as an aside, our PCV valves are 90 degree tube, so air whooshing through the right angle is noisier than straight tube.

Old vs new

Original part hard and brittle...

Inexpensive part...check condition of other ventilation parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by YODAONE:
Fit1too (04-17-19), Giorgio13 (04-27-19)
Old 04-18-19, 09:01 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Noise reduction right valve cover ventilation tube

Originally Posted by YODAONE
PCV valves generate noise and so to dampen and block noise Toyota employed a molded foam-like cover.

The original cover was degraded by heat over time and so was a very loose fit and no longer doing its job.

After installing the new part, less noisy PCV valve.

Inexpensive part

....as an aside, our PCV valves are 90 degree tube, so air whooshing through the right angle is noisier than straight tube.

Old vs new

Original part hard and brittle...

Inexpensive part...check condition of other ventilation parts.
The right valve cover incorporates a counterpart vent tube that is part of the PCV system.

The tube extends from the valve cover and then abrubtly angles parallel to cover.

Thi transition is not radiused but formed at a sharp 90 angle..as if two pieces of 45 degree tubing were welded together.

But what's the point to this descriptive diatribe?

The volume of airflow through this sharp transition makes noise.

So, because Toyota reasoned the PCV valve would quiet with a foam cover, I repurposed the old foam cover over the right bank valve cover tube.

Image depicting the hard angle of right bank ventilation tube

Repurposed PCV valve foam cover installed on right bank. The cover base was trimmed to fit.
The following users liked this post:
Giorgio13 (04-27-19)
Old 04-26-19, 04:12 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YODAONE
The right valve cover incorporates a counterpart vent tube that is part of the PCV system.

The tube extends from the valve cover and then abrubtly angles parallel to cover.

Thi transition is not radiused but formed at a sharp 90 angle..as if two pieces of 45 degree tubing were welded together.

But what's the point to this descriptive diatribe?

The volume of airflow through this sharp transition makes noise.

So, because Toyota reasoned the PCV valve would quiet with a foam cover, I repurposed the old foam cover over the right bank valve cover tube.

Image depicting the hard angle of right bank ventilation tube

Repurposed PCV valve foam cover installed on right bank. The cover base was trimmed to fit.
Rummaged through Toyota parts bin and located a new foam cover from another Lexus model to cover the job.

New "Ventilation Cap" # 12235-50020 from Lexus.

New Cap installed on right bank valve cover.

Fits like a glove. Sound reduction up close is noticeable, but stand alone, negligible.

However, covering 20 areas requiring treatment makes a discernible difference.

Last edited by YODAONE; 04-26-19 at 04:36 PM.
Giorgio13 (04-27-19)
Old 04-26-19, 05:52 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Love it. Gonna order one for my 430
Old 04-27-19, 09:02 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 253 Likes on 166 Posts

Just checked out the pcv on my 05 and there is already a foam cover over it. Who knew. Ended up replacing the Pcv while I was there anyway
Old 04-27-19, 11:26 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Peacebay
Just checked out the pcv on my 05 and there is already a foam cover over it. Who knew. Ended up replacing the Pcv while I was there anyway
The PCV valve is located on left bank and has it's own foam cover.

The right bank valve cover fitting does not have a foam cover from the factory, but located a foam cover that works.

So there are two foam covers discussed here.

The factory cover for the PCV valve is left bank

....and the right bank cover, not originally installed by Lexus, but used on another Lexus model that I purchased and installed on LS400.

Old 05-24-19, 05:36 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Default Pcv system hose fitting noise

1998 - 2000 LS400 PCV system use sharp 90 degree (mitered).fittings on right valve cover and atop intake manifold that generate noise with airflow.

Toyota covered the PCV valve with a foam barrier/damping cover.

Another Lexus model employs a cover on the fitting on intake fitting....so I purchased two of "Ventilation Cap" P.N. 12235-50020

One installed earlier in this post on the right bank valve cover ventilation fitting, and the second on the intake manifold right angle fitting.

No modification to the cover installed on valve cover fitting, but due to tight quarters, trimming required for intake manifold fitting.

Trimmed foam ventilation cover

Foam ventilation cover installed

The standard cover is formed with a 45 degree side, so no trimming required to.clear adjacent vacuum hose. Appears stock.
Old 05-24-19, 07:10 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

I must inform you guys that those molded foam-like covers are used to avoid icing problems. Toyota have had many complains in colder places that those breath lines were blocked by the ice. Believe it or not, minor icing problems even happen in Tokyo in cold winter days. Those foam-like covers are used as a heat insulator. Toyota would use different material if the sound damping were needed seriously. The hose 12262 does not make any special noise but has a cover because these lines are very critical on icing.
bradland (05-24-19)
Old 05-24-19, 07:47 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Yamae

I must inform you guys that those molded foam-like covers are used to avoid icing problems. Toyota have had many complains in colder places that those breath lines were blocked by the ice. Believe it or not, minor icing problems even happen in Tokyo in cold winter days. Those foam-like covers are used as a heat insulator. Toyota would use different material if the sound damping were needed seriously. The hose 12262 does not make any special noise but has a cover because these lines are very critical on icing.
Ask the man who knows....

But airflow through a sharp.transition is audible....however not discernible standing next to your LS400, but if you attenuate noise at 10 or 20 locations it is discernable.