LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I love my LS . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-19, 07:58 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts
Default I love my LS . . .

Greetings. I still smile every time I see my 08 LS460. People still come up to me and ask me if it's new. But, I've been itching to get into a 2014-2016 to get newer tech, so I've been browsing the net. I found, what I thought to be the perfect car and it was right here in Memphis. A 2014 black on black 460 with ML system. I saw on the report one accident so I hesitated. But as fate would have it, my wife and I were out shopping yesterday and decided to go look. Man it was shiny and the interior was great. All the toys I wanted and a reasonable starting price. I asked for the accident report. It said mild to moderate damage on the front right. Lexus did the repair. The guy tells us to take it out for a spin. I notice the back tire is low. He says,"Ahh go ahead it'll be ok.". Start the car and the warning light comes on. There's under 16 pounds in the tire, We never drove the car. When I got home I scrolled down the report again, this time, I saw more info. First damage in 2016. Second damage in 2018 front and back hits. Bye bye.

So now I'm looking again. I found a few, but most have no ML system which I'd really like to have. What I would like to know are your thoughts on AWD. What are the pros and cons? Is there a reason not to have it? I see some cars that offer what I want, but instead of RWD, they're AWD. I've been ruling them out, but maybe I don't need to. I'd appreciate any feed back on this. Thanks!
Old 03-24-19, 11:19 AM
Overlander
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FunFact
AWD is heavier, with less fuel efficiency and lesser acceleration. I'd only be buying AWD if I planned on driving in pretty bad weather.
+1 to the above. I have the AWD out of necessity due to living in Minnesota and this is my daily driver. If I lived where there was no snow or very little snow, I would have definitely been looking for a rear wheel drive. My other vehicle is a RWD GS 300 sport design. I love this car, but it does horrible in the snow even with all season tires.
Old 03-24-19, 01:00 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

200+ pounds of additional weight

only 357hp due to inferior exhaust header design and restrictions

transfer case hump intruding in drivers leg space.

worse handling and acceleration.

Its a damn shame they forced awd down our throats up here in Canada. RWD LS’s post 2010 are unicorns up here.

Old 03-25-19, 06:41 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Thank you all for your responses. Makes sense and I'll continue my search for the RWD with ML sound system.
Old 03-25-19, 11:10 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

I was in the same boat as you. I have an 2008 with Comfort Plus package and I still love it but itching for a 2013+. Try to test the private sale waters and see what you can get and see if you'd actually want to get rid of it. I had mine on Craigslist for many months for $15,500. It has 97K mile so it. All major repair stuff done and with 19 inch wheels. I got many offers between $10K-$11K. One recent serious offer for $12,750 that I nearly accepted but the guy nickel and dime me over just $250 and I was already at $1K below my reserve. I decided to commit to ownership for another year. I usually get rid of cars before they hit 100K mark but I am going to make an exception. I wanted to get into a 2008-2009 Comfort plus (No airshocks) "L" with lower miles but total cost of that would mean coming out of pocket $5K-$7K and cost of redoing some repairs like the control arms and radiator. I ruled out 2010-2012 since Lexus foolishly got rid of the Comfort Plus with no air shocks and it does not have leather stitched armrests! A 2013+ would require me to have a car note. I could easily swing a $10K note but I haven't had a car note in 15 years. I decided to make a hard push to save and invest wisely for the next 5 year now that I am nearing mid 40s with a family. Not a little kid that can spend on my "toys" anymore
If all goes well maybe I can reward myself with a V8 or TTV8 Lexus LS. Come on Lexus Make this happen !!
Old 03-25-19, 01:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,564 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Having had both AWD and RWD, unless you need the AWD for winter weather, the RWD car drives better
Old 03-26-19, 12:56 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Actually I'm in no rush. I love my 08. It's smooth, fun to drive and black on black looks great to me. I have no idea what it's even worth with only 75K miles. Plus I have the new interior. I'm just Jonesing for the newer tech. The 14' appeals to me just like the 08 because it's the second year of the new model change and the prices are dropping. I've seen a bunch with low mileage, but short of the wrecked one here in town, I'm not finding them with the ML system. Taking my time until an opportunity presents itself. Price-wise, I'm looking for a deal, but I'll spend a little more if it's right. Looking is half the fun.
Old 03-26-19, 01:55 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by R Z
Actually I'm in no rush. I love my 08. It's smooth, fun to drive and black on black looks great to me. I have no idea what it's even worth with only 75K miles. Plus I have the new interior. I'm just Jonesing for the newer tech. The 14' appeals to me just like the 08 because it's the second year of the new model change and the prices are dropping. I've seen a bunch with low mileage, but short of the wrecked one here in town, I'm not finding them with the ML system. Taking my time until an opportunity presents itself. Price-wise, I'm looking for a deal, but I'll spend a little more if it's right. Looking is half the fun.
It takes time to get the right one. Be patient.