LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Old Man Tan got some new shoes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 10:43 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Received 256 Likes on 166 Posts
Default Old Man Tan got some new shoes

Old Man Tan was on jackstands for the entire winter... Besides the timing belt which I already told you guys about, I did new Daizen steering rack bushings (HUGE difference in steering feel, absolutely love them), new OEM trans mount (wasn't needed at all after 80k miles, but oh well), LED fog lights, OEM coolant temp sensor, PCV valve, spark plugs, thermostat, and Akebono brake pads. The biggest change I made to the exterior however was my freshly powder coated wheels. My buddy's father is a professional sand blaster/powder coater so I had him powder coat my wheels a flat Platinum gray with metal flakes. Unfortunately he couldn't powder coat the center caps because they're plastic so I had to get a little creative there (color is still a bit light on them but I can live with them for now). After not driving this car for so long it felt amazing to finally turn the key for the first time and take off.

Here's a funny pic: when I brought my wheels to the Lexus dealer to get road force balanced they had me drive my 97 Ranger into the bay. They said it was a first!

Some pics of the wheels:

Installed:

Had to get creative with an Xacto knife so I didn't paint over the Lexus emblem on the center caps:

Old 03-17-19, 10:46 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

And anyone interested, the SIA ECM rebuild is still holding strong and my transmission is still shifting flawlessly.

Oh, and I ordered black lug nuts as well.. Then I think it will look perfect
Old 03-18-19, 10:29 AM
Longmire
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Peacebay, where did you order your Daizen steering rack bushings from, and were they polyurethane? I did a quick search and it appears that they sell them at TM Engineering and on Amazon.

I noticed that you said they made a big difference in steering feel. The one thing I hate about my '01 is the sloppy steering. I just feel a little uneasy at higher speeds. I wonder if this is what I should try? It seems like a good DIY project. All of the other bushings look decent and I installed new struts up front.
Old 03-18-19, 10:55 AM
Peacebay
Advanced

Yeah, they’re poly but they serve no purpose in any sort of dampening so there is no increase in harshness anywhere. Such a great upgrade and very easy to install.
Old 03-18-19, 11:08 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

That would have been classic of the machine read the wheel alignment specs of the Ranger, and they printed it out for you!

Caps came out really nice!
Old 03-18-19, 01:54 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
That would have been classic of the machine read the wheel alignment specs of the Ranger, and they printed it out for you!

Caps came out really nice!
Hah! I don’t think their machine would read in errors of that magnitude!
Old 03-18-19, 02:08 PM
bradland
Forum Moderator

Received 695 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Longmire
Peacebay, where did you order your Daizen steering rack bushings from, and were they polyurethane? I did a quick search and it appears that they sell them at TM Engineering and on Amazon.

I noticed that you said they made a big difference in steering feel. The one thing I hate about my '01 is the sloppy steering. I just feel a little uneasy at higher speeds. I wonder if this is what I should try? It seems like a good DIY project. All of the other bushings look decent and I installed new struts up front.
I'm curious about these as well and I'm wondering why they are listed as 2001 - 2005...? I have an '06and it uses the same rack as the prior year models.
Old 03-18-19, 03:00 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradland
I'm curious about these as well and I'm wondering why they are listed as 2001 - 2005...? I have an '06and it uses the same rack as the prior year models.
Its just an oversight in the listing.

Edit: forgot to add I bought them on Amazon
Link Link

Last edited by Peacebay; 03-18-19 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-19-19, 11:35 AM
potaijee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I have the same rims painted black too but my LS is already black. Honestly your gold/black looks a lot better. It's a nice contrast and instantly freshens the look of the old man gold. Almost makes me wish I thought twice about the gold for sale when I was looking. My black/black I feel is too much. The dark rims on the dark big body just weighs down the entire thing, makes it look heavy and bloated. I'm looking to repaint it back to an oem aluminum look. What else are you planning on doing with it?
Old 03-19-19, 12:26 PM
Peacebay
Advanced

Originally Posted by potaijee
Wow, I have the same rims painted black too but my LS is already black. Honestly your gold/black looks a lot better. It's a nice contrast and instantly freshens the look of the old man gold. Almost makes me wish I thought twice about the gold for sale when I was looking. My black/black I feel is too much. The dark rims on the dark big body just weighs down the entire thing, makes it look heavy and bloated. I'm looking to repaint it back to an oem aluminum look. What else are you planning on doing with it?
Appreciate that! Honestly though, im pretty much done with the car at least as far as cosmetic mods go. Between the exhaust tips, tint, yellow fogs, and now these wheels I wanna stop before I go too far. It’s name is Old Man Tan for a reason