GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

17/18 GS 350. To F Sport or Not?..

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 11:17 PM
Sgmartz
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 17/18 GS 350. To F Sport or Not?..

Hi all!!

First time poster and current non-Lexus owner. With a baby on the way, we need a third car and my awesome wife has said she wants to keep the Subaru so I can get a car of my choice. After extensive shopping and driving and researching, I want to get a slightly used 2017/18 GS 350. These things are amazing and so nice looking. I’ve never considered Lexus as a brand I really wanted but after learning more about them I am sold!!

We’re in Denver and for whatever reason, the GS is really hard to come by out here. I’ve been able to test drive a 19 F Sport but when looking at the used market it’s mostly non Fs for sale. And pretty nothing used locally. Question for you all, how much of a difference is there in driving an F vs non F sport? Obviously I know about the different suspension and steering. I can’t seem to find a non F to drive, so just curious to hear from you. Also I prefer the cosmetics and other little upgrades (LFA digital gauges).

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks Steve
Old 01-21-19, 12:05 AM
LueyM
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Besides the adjustment to the steering and suspension, the f-sport is mostly all cosmetics (steering wheel with f sport badge, sporty pedals, front grill. I have a 4th gen GS 350 F sport and I have found out that I can not due tire rotation because the wheels are staggered, so tires run out faster vs a non f-sport. Also seems like brakes run out faster than a non f-sport. Still love my car
Old 01-21-19, 05:32 AM
chinee
Racer

Received 945 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgmartz
First time poster and current non-Lexus owner. With a baby on the way, we need a third car and my awesome wife has said she wants to keep the Subaru so I can get a car of my choice. After extensive shopping and driving and researching, I want to get a slightly used 2017/18 GS 350. These things are amazing and so nice looking. I’ve never considered Lexus as a brand I really wanted but after learning more about them I am sold!!

We’re in Denver and for whatever reason, the GS is really hard to come by out here. I’ve been able to test drive a 19 F Sport but when looking at the used market it’s mostly non Fs for sale. And pretty nothing used locally. Question for you all, how much of a difference is there in driving an F vs non F sport? Obviously I know about the different suspension and steering. I can’t seem to find a non F to drive, so just curious to hear from you. Also I prefer the cosmetics and other little upgrades (LFA digital gauges).

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks Steve

Have you looked into leasing new? Lexus has a $4,500 lease incentive right now, and that is on top of the usual $4-5K dealers are also discounting. And if, like me, you prefer to purchase, you can also do so at lease end.
Five months ago, I was considering the same as you, but given that one to two year old models were in the mid-to-high $40s, which meant $49-$52K out the door, I wasn't willing to shell out such a large down payment/car payment, so I went to look at 15s and 16s... but not a whole lot of desirable inventory (at the time). By chance, looked at a Lexus Plus dealer online with an Express Store (fixed no haggle pricing and completely online purchase, all charges disclosed up front) and found a new FSport lease deal for less than the one to two year old preowned, and being a new car, made the deal more palatable.

Aside from the not-so-insignificant increased costs of tires and brakes, due to the staggered wheels and larger brakes up front, other owners have commented that the non-F has too soft a ride. If you prefer a driver's car get an F Sport, but if you like typical Lexus smoothness and comfort, the non-F will be more than adequate. Or get an AWD F Sport, all the nice upgrades but with non-staggered wheels and standard brakes, that might be the setup that hits the sweet spot.

Happy Shopping!

Last edited by chinee; 01-21-19 at 08:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
dTxworld (01-23-19)
Old 01-21-19, 08:05 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by LueyM
Besides the adjustment to the steering and suspension, the f-sport is mostly all cosmetics (steering wheel with f sport badge, sporty pedals, front grill. I have a 4th gen GS 350 F sport and I have found out that I can not due tire rotation because the wheels are staggered, so tires run out faster vs a non f-sport. Also seems like brakes run out faster than a non f-sport. Still love my car
This is incorrect. If you're looking at an AWD F-Sport, the changes are mostly cosmetic. If you're looking to get a RWD model, the F-Sport package gets you the following:
  • Adaptive Suspension with Sport S+ mode (Adaptive Variable Suspension) (AWD models get this as well but see an increased ride height/wheel gap)
  • Variable Gear Ratio Steering
  • 14" high performance 2-piece front brake rotors with 4 piston calipers
  • Staggered 19" wheels with summer tires with 235s in front and 265s in rear
  • Can be optioned with Lexus Dynamic Handling System with Rear Wheel Steering
  • Can be optioned with factory Limited Slip Differential
As mentioned, the F-Sport package brings other changes/options such as the Rioja Red interior color option, standard black felt headliner, F-Sport steering wheel with thicker perforated bolstering, & 16-way driver's seat.

Last edited by signdetres; 01-21-19 at 08:10 AM.
dTxworld (01-23-19)
Old 01-21-19, 09:52 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,172 Likes on 864 Posts

You should definitely drive the F-Sport and non F-Sport versions to see which one you prefer...because its really a matter of preference. The F-Sport definitely has the aggressive looks and most people agree that in the refreshed model, the F-sport trim looks best (again subjective!).

The model was refreshed in 2016 so if you're willing, there will be more inventory of 2016 models coming off 3 year leases that you can test drive with relatively low mileage.

Here's a non F Sport that you might consider test driving: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2349/overview/

Sounds like you already have your eye on an F-Sport but it doesn't hurt to drive the non F sport to really make sure. Good luck!
Old 01-21-19, 01:03 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

All F-sports have AVS and sport + mode that changes the steering feel, transmission shift points, throttle response and suspension stiffness. It does feel like a different car with S+ mode on.

The extra 1/2" of wheel gap on the AWD is there, but unless you want a slammed look, it doesn't really matter, IMO. From the traction perspective, it's pretty amazing how planted the AWD is (I do not drive it in the snow or ice, I'm referring to rain and curvy challenging backroads). Even on wet roads, I simply cannot get the car (AWD f sport 350) to loose traction for more than a split second.

One of the things that isn't mentioned are the seats. The f-sport seats are AWESOME---very comfortable yet holds you in place on curves. I did sit in the non- f sport seats once at the dealer--I liked them too but they are no f-sport seats! There are a few differences in the body as you probably saw.

Note that only the 2WD f sport has the bigger brakes and staggered tires. So you can't rotate tires. And all the extra differential and 4 wheel steering stuff? Sounds cool on paper, but are you really going to wring it out to the point (on a track) where you'll notice the differences? I can scare my wife silly and the tires don't even squeal already.

Be VERY careful about buying a one year old car that was so expensive when new, and never buy a 1 yr old Lexus from a regular old used car dealer. Someone here bought a 1 yr old version last year and it was in a flood, not-disclosed and FULL of problems. Remember, not everything is on carfax! There are creampuffs out there--just be sure you know what you're getting.
Old 01-21-19, 09:14 PM
baconRx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

lux package was d/c in 2018 so if you go non-fsport for 2017.
  • Adaptive Suspension with Sport S+ mode (Adaptive Variable Suspension) (AWD models get this as well but see an increased ride height/wheel gap)
  • Variable Gear Ratio Steering
  • 14" high performance 2-piece front brake rotors with 4 piston calipers
  • Staggered 19" wheels with summer tires with 235s in front and 265s in rear
  • Can be optioned with Lexus Dynamic Handling System with Rear Wheel Steering
  • Can be optioned with factory Limited Slip Differential
those last two "benefits" are pretty much only available if you custom order which i recommend
Old 01-22-19, 12:31 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
All F-sports have AVS and sport + mode that changes the steering feel, transmission shift points, throttle response and suspension stiffness. It does feel like a different car with S+ mode on.

The extra 1/2" of wheel gap on the AWD is there, but unless you want a slammed look, it doesn't really matter, IMO. From the traction perspective, it's pretty amazing how planted the AWD is (I do not drive it in the snow or ice, I'm referring to rain and curvy challenging backroads). Even on wet roads, I simply cannot get the car (AWD f sport 350) to loose traction for more than a split second.

One of the things that isn't mentioned are the seats. The f-sport seats are AWESOME---very comfortable yet holds you in place on curves. I did sit in the non- f sport seats once at the dealer--I liked them too but they are no f-sport seats! There are a few differences in the body as you probably saw.

Note that only the 2WD f sport has the bigger brakes and staggered tires. So you can't rotate tires. And all the extra differential and 4 wheel steering stuff? Sounds cool on paper, but are you really going to wring it out to the point (on a track) where you'll notice the differences? I can scare my wife silly and the tires don't even squeal already.

Be VERY careful about buying a one year old car that was so expensive when new, and never buy a 1 yr old Lexus from a regular old used car dealer. Someone here bought a 1 yr old version last year and it was in a flood, not-disclosed and FULL of problems. Remember, not everything is on carfax! There are creampuffs out there--just be sure you know what you're getting.
A fully specc'd GS with the larger high-performance brakes, staggered tires, variable gear ratio steering, 4 wheel steering, and the limited slip differential drives extremely differently from a GS lacking all of these features, sorry not sorry. Some of these you can argue would be useless in "normal" driving, but undoubtedly, Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Rear Wheel Steering make a world of difference in every day driving in all situations from low speed parking lot maneuvers to high speed freeway maneuvers and everything between. These features also adjust based upon which drive mode you're in, further differentiating each drive mode from one another and further changing the behavior and characteristics found in each drive mode. The upgraded high performance brakes are another upgrade that can be the difference between rear-ending the car in front of you or not in an emergency situation.

Petty but it's physics, the AWD models see increased weight and ride height which negatively affects center of gravity, handling, & fuel economy, as does the 6-speed vs the 8-speed transmission found in the RWD models. The 8-speed gets a lot of flack around here, from GS owners who have only driven the 6 speed. I find the 8-speed transmission to be a wonderful aspect of daily driving the GS. The closer spaced gear ratios make normal acceleration quite effortless and quick without needing to rev out the engine to get power out of it as the 8-speed keeps it in the correct powerband more of the time than the 6-speed is physically capable of doing. This behavior also benefits from decreased fuel consumption. It's also the same unit derived out of the IS-F and LS460 and is rated for more torque and power than the 6-speed and I find it to be quite responsive and quick shifting in normal driving, and especially when shifting manually in Sport S+ mode.

The GS350 only makes 280 ft-lbs of torque. With 265mm rear-tires on RWD models vs 235s on AWD, putting the power down is pretty drama-free making AWD unnecessary (unless you live in snowy/rainy climates of course). It powers out of turns and corners quite drama-free as well, which the optional LSD would only improve upon. If these were turbocharged torque monsters, sure, AWD might be worth it. But there are drawbacks to the AWD model that I don't think many are aware of.
The following 2 users liked this post by signdetres:
eddie420 (01-22-19), GS350Boi (08-22-19)
Old 01-22-19, 04:18 PM
terrryz
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove 15 GS 350 f and non-f. The base version actually rides better probably due to smaller wheels, and I think it still handles reasonably good for a midsize sedan. My last car is a 2016 mustang GT and I was particular looking for a smoother ride in my next car. At the end I bought a non-f because a nice deal showed up.
Old 01-22-19, 07:34 PM
SpicedRum
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
A fully specc'd GS with the larger high-performance brakes, staggered tires, variable gear ratio steering, 4 wheel steering, and the limited slip differential drives extremely differently from a GS lacking all of these features, sorry not sorry. Some of these you can argue would be useless in "normal" driving, but undoubtedly, Variable Gear Ratio Steering and Rear Wheel Steering make a world of difference in every day driving in all situations from low speed parking lot maneuvers to high speed freeway maneuvers and everything between. These features also adjust based upon which drive mode you're in, further differentiating each drive mode from one another and further changing the behavior and characteristics found in each drive mode. The upgraded high performance brakes are another upgrade that can be the difference between rear-ending the car in front of you or not in an emergency situation.

Petty but it's physics, the AWD models see increased weight and ride height which negatively affects center of gravity, handling, & fuel economy, as does the 6-speed vs the 8-speed transmission found in the RWD models. The 8-speed gets a lot of flack around here, from GS owners who have only driven the 6 speed. I find the 8-speed transmission to be a wonderful aspect of daily driving the GS. The closer spaced gear ratios make normal acceleration quite effortless and quick without needing to rev out the engine to get power out of it as the 8-speed keeps it in the correct powerband more of the time than the 6-speed is physically capable of doing. This behavior also benefits from decreased fuel consumption. It's also the same unit derived out of the IS-F and LS460 and is rated for more torque and power than the 6-speed and I find it to be quite responsive and quick shifting in normal driving, and especially when shifting manually in Sport S+ mode.

The GS350 only makes 280 ft-lbs of torque. With 265mm rear-tires on RWD models vs 235s on AWD, putting the power down is pretty drama-free making AWD unnecessary (unless you live in snowy/rainy climates of course). It powers out of turns and corners quite drama-free as well, which the optional LSD would only improve upon. If these were turbocharged torque monsters, sure, AWD might be worth it. But there are drawbacks to the AWD model that I don't think many are aware of.
I agree with everything you're saying and don't doubt the fully optioned 2WD is going to feel like a different car. It's lighter with a different power bias, more goodies to change the performance and gives more traction than most 2WD cars. As you mentioned, a little lower to put the center of gravity down low, which should lead to less body roll and a more planted feeling.

My point is that the traction limits and sporty feel of the AWD f sport is quite high--enough that most drivers are going to be more than satisfied with handling, and probably won't out-drive it to the point where add'l hardware or programming in the electronic systems will benefit them. The GS AWD f-sport sticks like glue as is. Body roll? The AWD handles as flat as can be....very good control with great comfort. Even on eco mode it handles far better than it "should".

Of course, if you've never had all the goodies and 2WD you won't know what you're missing--that is probably your point as well. Fair enough--it would be fun to compare them side by side and really feel the difference.

The rear steering seems interesting but of course an AWD won't need limited slip, and I dunno--if feels like the steering is already variable on the AWD f sport, but I think it's variable effort based on speed rather than variable gearing. The variable gear seems pretty cool too, but wouldn't give up the AWD for it. The AWD is so confidence inspiring even in the rain, it's actually the only car I've ever owned (and have been driving 35 years) where I don't feel an urge to make changes to it. Super comfort, great handling, no odd characteristics...there isn't much to complain about with the AWD f sport in real life driving.

Another point--how many cars are actually equipped with the rear steering, variable gear steering and limited slip diff? I would hope a lot of 2WD would at least have limited slip??s But I don't think many have the other features. Or I just don't hear about them here much?

signdetres (01-23-19)
Old 01-22-19, 07:40 PM
eddie420
Forum Moderator

Received 637 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by SpicedRum
The GS AWD f-sport sticks like glue as is. Body roll? The AWD handles as flat as can be....very good control with great comfort. Even on eco mode it handles far better than it "should".
Oh boy, that is the furthest from the truth lol... I have '15 AWD. Everytime I do high speed cornering whether it is on/off ramps, etc., the body roll is definitely there. Only way to get rid of is it to lower the ride and install beefier sway bars which don't exist for this car. I am still working with UR Racing in Malaysia to have them made. Maybe you are not really driving the car like you stole it so you're not feeling the body roll?
Old 01-22-19, 10:03 PM
thallium
Intermediate

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts

If you can find a luxury RWD version it has most of what you get with the F-Sport minus the cosmetics plus it has some features no other version has.

The luxury has Sport+, variable gear ratio steering and adaptive suspension. I'm not sure on the front rotor size but I'm pretty sure it's got 4-piston calipers. It's got 18-way programmable seats in both front seats which no other version has (and they are the most comfortable car seats I've ever had). It has manual rear seat sunshades, power rear window sunshade, rear passenger climate & media controls. And, things it doesn't have that I'm glad of are the staggered wheels so I can rotate and more expensive brake parts like the two-piece rotors. About the only real knocks against the luxury are that I don't think it could get the rear axle steering or limited slip diff (if they were available options on it I bet you won't find anyone that got it).

Compared to a non-luxury GS, the F-Sport looks very good but compared to the luxury version I would take it if only for the super seats and same tires all around.

Update: I had a slip of the brain and orignally wrote premium when I actually meant luxury; it's fixed now.

Last edited by thallium; 01-22-19 at 11:06 PM. Reason: replaced premium with luxury
GS350Boi (08-22-19)
Old 01-23-19, 04:05 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thallium
If you can find a luxury RWD version it has most of what you get with the F-Sport minus the cosmetics plus it has some features no other version has.

The luxury has Sport+, variable gear ratio steering and adaptive suspension. I'm not sure on the front rotor size but I'm pretty sure it's got 4-piston calipers. It's got 18-way programmable seats in both front seats which no other version has (and they are the most comfortable car seats I've ever had). It has manual rear seat sunshades, power rear window sunshade, rear passenger climate & media controls. And, things it doesn't have that I'm glad of are the staggered wheels so I can rotate and more expensive brake parts like the two-piece rotors. About the only real knocks against the luxury are that I don't think it could get the rear axle steering or limited slip diff (if they were available options on it I bet you won't find anyone that got it).

Compared to a non-luxury GS, the F-Sport looks very good but compared to the luxury version I would take it if only for the super seats and same tires all around.

Update: I had a slip of the brain and orignally wrote premium when I actually meant luxury; it's fixed now.

Luxury is NOT the same as f sport. It is much more than cosmetics. Sport + on lux pkg is NOT the same as sport + on f sport.
signdetres (01-23-19)
Old 01-23-19, 04:06 AM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie420
Oh boy, that is the furthest from the truth lol... I have '15 AWD. Everytime I do high speed cornering whether it is on/off ramps, etc., the body roll is definitely there. Only way to get rid of is it to lower the ride and install beefier sway bars which don't exist for this car. I am still working with UR Racing in Malaysia to have them made. Maybe you are not really driving the car like you stole it so you're not feeling the body roll?

Curious, do you have a F sport awd?

Old 01-23-19, 08:30 AM
NickL
Racer

Received 420 Likes on 271 Posts

With a baby on the way? RX350 all the way!
We have a 10weeks newborn and it always the RX we choose to take. Those strollers are bulky and I'm actually not sure if it'll fit in the trunk of the GS. Even if it does, the lower height of the sedan is a backbreaker when you prep the car seat. If this is your first child, trust me, you will do everything you can to save your back.

Quick Reply: 17/18 GS 350. To F Sport or Not?..