ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

P0171 p0174 p2196 p2198

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-19, 04:57 PM
mirekti
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default P0171 p0174 p2196 p2198

For the last two, three weeks I keep getting the codes above. At first it was only P0171 and P0174 System Too Lean, but within the last week I got two P2198 and one P2916 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich.
So far I've been clearing the alarms P0171 and P0174, but haven't had those P2196/8, and while I cleared them today I don't really want to play with this and make it even worse.

Could someone suggest something I should/could do myself to try to fix this before I need to take the car to mechanic, please?
Old 01-07-19, 08:28 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mirekti
For the last two, three weeks I keep getting the codes above. At first it was only P0171 and P0174 System Too Lean, but within the last week I got two P2198 and one P2916 O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich.
So far I've been clearing the alarms P0171 and P0174, but haven't had those P2196/8, and while I cleared them today I don't really want to play with this and make it even worse.

Could someone suggest something I should/could do myself to try to fix this before I need to take the car to mechanic, please?

What have you actually been doing to "clear" these problems?
Or are you just blowing the code and not doing any diagnostic work.
Old 01-07-19, 10:46 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

So, what year are we talking about, how many miles and ditto Nad1370’s question?

P0171 and P0174 codes are fairly numerous and not that difficult to fix for the average DIY’r to accomplish.

P2198 and P2916(?) codes go hand-in-hand and here’s an example of how to start clearing them. A lot of indicators in what I’ve experienced say cleaning the MAF is a good start, and I’ll add... clean the Throttle Body while you’re cleaning the MAF. Please know that MAF’s do go bad, but cleaning them with something like some CRC Throttle Body Cleaner has been known to produce excellent results. While I’m at it, how’s the air intake filter? Basically, your engine is running rich and all sensors downstream of the fuel master mixer, the MAF, are alarming. Your MAF needs cleaning and your Throttle Body “flapper” isn’t sealing and functioning correctly and also should be cleaned. Do that, clear your codes, see what happens and get back with us.

Good luck.
Old 01-08-19, 04:47 AM
mirekti
Pit Crew

The car has 178k miles. I have cleaned MAF sensor with CRC MAF spray, but only the resistor. The error codes were cleared with OBD device.
in the past I would get P0174 once in a year, but it became very frequent last few weeks. I thought clenaing MAF would help, but it didn’t it seems. I have also pulled the 25A fuse and left it out 20 mins to reset the ECU.

I was thinking of replacing the tank cap and MAF sensor and see if that helps, but wondered if there’s any other thing I should check or is common to fail.

Last edited by mirekti; 01-08-19 at 07:35 AM. Reason: MAF sensor not filter :)
Old 01-08-19, 07:29 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

You have lean codes in both banks.
If you had a 174 before and now a 171.
So many things can trigger a lean code.
But most common are a vacuum leak or your AF sensors going out.
Dont worry about the 2196/98 code since the ECU is fattening up the fuel enrichment to compensate for the LEAN code.
Once you get that lean code resolved, those 2 codes should go away.

Time to get your hands somewhat dirty.
The following users liked this post:
mirekti (01-08-19)
Old 01-08-19, 08:55 AM
Richardsr
Intermediate

The car has 178k miles. I have cleaned MAF sensor with CRC MAF spray, but only the resistor. The error codes were cleared with OBD device.
in the past I would get P0174 once in a year, but it became very frequent last few weeks. I thought clenaing MAF would help, but it didn’t it seems. I have also pulled the 25A fuse and left it out 20 mins to reset the ECU.

I was thinking of replacing the tank cap and MAF filter and see if that helps, but wondered if there’s any other thing I should check or is common to fail.
AHA! At 170K+ miles, always change the gas cap. Clean the fuel filler seat and yes, replace the cap with a Genuine OEM gas cap. $20 well spent and one of the most neglected parts and I’ll add that it helped fix my own ‘05 ES330 along with cleaning the MAF along with the cleaning the Throttle Body itself. Keep in mind the big problem of junk and crud will be on the backside of the Throttle Body butterfly keeping it from closing properly and screwing with proper air flow through there. Put some silicon spray on the gas cap rubber seal and give it a few clicks to boot. Disconnect Negative pole of battery for 15 - 20 minutes, replace and take it for a drive to burn any cleaner out.

I’ll add that when I cleaned my Throttle Body, I took it off and had it “in hand” to clean, but with a toothbrush and taking your time a good cleanup can be accomplished without removal. Carburetor Cleaner is OK to use because it is “better” at removing gunk, but spray it away with CRC to remove any residue. Carb Cleaner cleans MAFs better, but be sure to spray it down with CRC afterwards to remove Carb Cleaner residue there. Also spray CRC on the electrical connectors to the MAF.

I also recommend a Clublexus favorite here, a bottle of Gumout Regane High Mileage Fuel System Cleaner into a tank of Hi-Test gas for the finale.

While I’m ranting and hoping I won’t be accused of “throwing parts and money”, a Genuine OEM PCV valve replacement is about $10 (DIY and easy to do) is worth thinking about if you have the volition to do so. They’re another of those “neglected parts” that few think about.

Happy trails and let us know how it goes.
mirekti (01-08-19)
Old 01-15-19, 04:36 AM
mirekti
Pit Crew

Default P0137 and P0157 O2 sensor circuit voltage too low

The tank cap was replaced two days ago, and it didn’t quite help. It does take a bit more time for the codes to pop out so it probably helps a bit after all, not sure.
I was about to order a new MAF sensor and see if that would have helped, but today I got six codes. Four already mentioned, and P0137 and P0157 O2 sensor circuit voltage too low.

Are these also reflecting possible MAF sensor issue or I should replace O2 sensor as well?
Old 01-15-19, 08:29 AM
Richardsr
Intermediate

So what you’re getting now is that both banks are showing the same problem and them both going bad at the same time is a sign that your real problem is still something “common” to your same previous codes as well as the new ones. IOW, I’d suggest at this point to wait until MAF is changed before moving along.

Here are the symptoms of your O2 Sensors going bad.
  • Faulty Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1&2
  • Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1&2 harness is open or shorted
  • Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1&2 circuit poor electrical connection
  • Inappropriate fuel pressure
  • Faulty fuel injectors
  • Intake air leaks may be faulty
  • Exhaust gas leaks
Like I said, the probabilities of both sensors going bad plus the other codes together is unlikely. Both sensors’ separate harnesses and electrical connections going bad plus the other codes together is unlikely. Your fuel injectors affecting both banks going bad together is unlikely. Exhaust gas leaks? Nah. Air intakes faulty? Considering the other codes along with the new ones? Maybe at best.

A Genuine OEM MAF is expensive and it “encourages” many buyers to go to an aftermarket device, but don’t be that guy.

Good luck and get back with us. ��
mirekti (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 08:40 AM
mirekti
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Richardsr

A Genuine OEM MAF is expensive and it “encourages” many buyers to go to an aftermarket device, but don’t be that guy.

Good luck and get back with us. ��
Sure thing, thanks.
Iis this the correct one?
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-15-19, 02:38 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

The tank cap was replaced two days ago, and it didn’t quite help. It does take a bit more time for the codes to pop out so it probably helps a bit after all, not sure.
I was about to order a new MAF sensor and see if that would have helped, but today I got six codes. Four already mentioned, and P0137 and P0157 O2 sensor circuit voltage too low.

Are these also reflecting possible MAF sensor issue or I should replace O2 sensor as well?

You need to diagnose the lean codes first.
Lets back up here.
Your previous post, you had just the P0174 once a year. Bank 2
Im assuming you didnt fix this and kept blowing the code.
Then it got more frequent.
Then you now have both P0174 and P0171.(both banks)
So those 2 codes didnt just pop up at the same time., per OP.
If you didnt solve your original 174, I suggest grab a OBD scanner and see what your fuel trims and AF voltages before you replace parts that you might not need.
If your cranking 180k miles and your A/F sensors are original, thats where i would look.

I vaguely remember there was a TSB for these codes and they point to failed A/F sensors.
Found it:
http://media.fixed-ops.com/Lex_Servi...s/eg019l05.pdf

Hope this will get you in the right direction.
Old 01-15-19, 02:50 PM
mirekti
Pit Crew

Well, I had P0174 and P0171 in the past, but not very often. I don't remember which when as when I looked at these online they were both related to the same issue so my assumption was...
Since few weeks back, I keep getting either P0174 or P0171 or both, and on one occasion P2196 and P2198.
Today I have received all six at the same time.

I do have OBD. Next time I'll grab a screen shot as I don't know how to read the trims and voltages.

Thanks and cheers!!!
Old 01-15-19, 03:12 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Well, I had P0174 and P0171 in the past, but not very often. I don't remember which when as when I looked at these online they were both related to the same issue so my assumption was...
Since few weeks back, I keep getting either P0174 or P0171 or both, and on one occasion P2196 and P2198.
Today I have received all six at the same time.

I do have OBD. Next time I'll grab a screen shot as I don't know how to read the trims and voltages.

Thanks and cheers!!!
^^^
When you do take a screen shot, have it idling. (temperature warmed up)
Both banks
Short/Long term FT
AF voltages
Old 01-15-19, 07:38 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nad1370
You need to diagnose the lean codes first.
Lets back up here.
Your previous post, you had just the P0174 once a year. Bank 2
Im assuming you didnt fix this and kept blowing the code.
Then it got more frequent.
Then you now have both P0174 and P0171.(both banks)
So those 2 codes didnt just pop up at the same time., per OP.
If you didnt solve your original 174, I suggest grab a OBD scanner and see what your fuel trims and AF voltages before you replace parts that you might not need.
If your cranking 180k miles and your A/F sensors are original, thats where i would look.

I vaguely remember there was a TSB for these codes and they point to failed A/F sensors.
Found it:
http://media.fixed-ops.com/Lex_Servi...s/eg019l05.pdf

Hope this will get you in the right direction.
This does change things a bit knowing the AF Sensors didn’t go bad simultaneously, but getting the MAF and Throttle Body getting cleaned while sorting this out will help. P0171/0174 doesn’t mean they’re bad, it means the ECM has detected a big problem.

To keep the engine running properly, the Engine Control Module measures the oxygen content in the exhaust with oxygen sensors and makes adjustments to the mixture by injecting more or less fuel.

The control module operates within specific parameters and under normal conditions, it will make minor adjustments to the air/fuel mixture. When these adjustments become too large, a fault code is set. When the P0171/P0174 code sets, the oxygen sensors are detecting too little oxygen in the exhaust and the control module is adding more fuel than normal to sustain the proper air/fuel mixture.

When a vehicle has the fault code P0171 and or P0174, it means that computer can no longer automatically adjust the mixture between air and fuel. Code P0171 applies to Bank 1 and P0174 applies to Bank 2.

When the code says that the Fuel System is "too lean," it means that the computer has been adding more and more fuel, which is called Long Term Fuel Trim. Ideally, the Long Term Fuel Trim should be close to 1 to 2 percent. When a code P0171 is set, it means that the Fuel Trim is anywhere from 15 percent to as high as 35 percent compensated. When this happens, the computer knows that there is an improper condition in the control of the Fuel System.

Common Problems That Trigger the P0171 and P0174 Code

PCM software needs to be updated
Vacuum leaks (Intake Manifold Gaskets, vacuum hoses, PCV hoses, etc.)
Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
Plugged Fuel Filter or weak Fuel Pump
Plugged or dirty Fuel Injectors

Cheers
wmj259 (01-15-19)
Old 01-15-19, 08:15 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

^^^^
Yup, had to re-read the OP's previous post, i though i saw him mention only 1 bank at first then the second one after a year or so.
Great find on how FT's work.

Im just surprised that an AF sensor is not one of the "possible" causes.
Especially if there is a Lexus TSB for it.
Also 1MZ motors are know for failed AF's at higher mileage.
Old 01-16-19, 08:42 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

As the codes progress downstream from the MAF, the pairings of bank Sensor problems that are happening is “normal”. You have to start clearing codes by earliest occurrence and the latter problems now being experienced may just clear out with a reset.

The MAF is a very important and critical component of how well your engine runs and since it’s the furthest upstream, outside of the intake air filter which I’ll also address, from the engine sensors alarming... Start there and work downstream.

This car has 178K on it and cleaning the MAF has worked before, a time or two. So the MAF is clean. What about the Intake Air Filter? If the MAF works off temp and wind to signal the ECM how much gas to provide, then consider at least a peak at it in the name of “getting it right” this time and change it out. DO NOT consider K&B conversions. Oil based filters have been proven to cause problems with MAFs because of the oil on the sensor stem. To make things worse, most K&B users use more or improperly apply the oil after cleanings. Efficient Air Intake Filter/Fuel Systems were designed by engineers and sometimes defying their wisdom has it’s consequences.

The next item downstream that demands attention but seldom gets recognized is the Throttle Body. It MUST be clean and free of the sticky goo that collects mostly on the backside of the butterfly that keeps it from closing/opening on demand and the entire designed airflow pattern has been changed as well. I’ll advise going to the trouble of reading up and learning how to remove the Throttle Body so that a thorough cleaning of it can be accomplished. There are DIY videos all over the internet and many here at clublexus have them tabbed for anyone that asks. If the average person would take care these three components, many of the downstream codes alarming would be from actual sensor failure (age, heat, design) instead of what we witness otherwise.

If your interested, here’s an excellent article about MAFs and their function.... Easy reading.

https://www.samarins.com/glossary/airflow_sensor.html

Quick Reply: P0171 p0174 p2196 p2198